I.dont.wanna.hear.it

Spiff

Rowand called out at home. Crede called out at second. Konerko called out on a called swing by the home plate ump.

All these went against us, when 2 (and possibly 3) should have gone for us. The strike zone was (bleeping) huge for Washburn and co. tonight, and they had their share of breaks. I don't feel sorry for them.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
IMO, Rowand and Crede were clearly out. Not by a mile certainly...but Crede's hand wasn't on that base by the time the catch was made. There was one angle that showed this really well. Umps were right on the spot today for those calls at least.

Completely agreed.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 01:56 AM)
The only questionable one was Pauly's check swing, the other two were clearly called correctly.

no it wasnt. i was in the upper deck with a perfect view of whether the guys went around or didnt... i would've called the same thing. i knew he went the moment it happened, didnt need the ump to say anything.

side note: i think it's funny as hell when the crowd boos a really good call if it goes against us... IMO just sit down, shut up and deal with it. this is baseball - unfortunately it has rules.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
I beg to differ.

I'd love to agree with you man, but Rowand and Crede were clearly out. I didn't even need to see the replay to know Rowand was out. I wasn't sure about Crede when I first saw it, but the replay showed he was clearly out. The baserunning has been AWFUL these first two games. That has got to improve if we want to win this series.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 03:06 AM)
no it wasnt.  i was in the upper deck with a perfect view of whether the guys went around or didnt... i would've called the same thing.  i knew he went the moment it happened, didnt need the ump to say anything.

side note:  i think it's funny as hell when the crowd boos a really good call if it goes against us... IMO just sit down, shut up and deal with it.  this is baseball - unfortunately it has rules.

well apparently you didnt see a replay yet, because it appears as though he didnt go around.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 02:08 AM)
well apparently you didnt see a replay yet, because it appears as though he didnt go around.

The problem with this is it's always a judgement call, there's no definite way to make the call. So if they said he went or they said he didn't, it's probly a decent call either way because it's so close, you know? Safe/Out is usually black and white, check swings aren't.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 02:08 AM)

f*** replays. this should be a human game - not a computer one.

lol yeah you're right i havent seen the replays but from where i was it REALLY looked like he went.

obviously i could be wrong.

Edited by Reddy

Rowand should have never... EVAR been sent in the first place. Crede was the dumbass hanging way too far off the base. Am i the only one that thought the strike zone was pretty damn for both sides today?

Either way the sox screwed themselves on both of the two plays mentioned.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 02:10 AM)
f*** replays.  this should be a human game - not a computer one.

lol yeah you're right i havent seen the replays but from where i was it REALLY looked like he went.

obviously i could be wrong.

I had work tonight and only caught moments of the game(luckily, I did see the whole AJ s*** live)...but I'm pretty sure I saw the Konerko check swing thing we're talking about.

I will honestly say, the instant I saw it happen, I knew he went around. Replays will not change my mind.

If another of the exact same scenario occurred, and I just missed it...then I lose.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
Rowand should have never... EVAR been sent in the first place. Crede was the dumbass hanging way too far off the base. Am i the only one that thought the strike zone was pretty damn for both sides today?

agree 100%

oh and how bout scotty not executing... again. it's so weird that he had the best BA on the team but it always always seems like he gets out more often than the others...

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)

Two comments on Crede plays screw up. One, I think he the flight of the ball fooled him. I think he thought the ball would get down sooner than it did. Two, when he started back to 2B, his first step was lost due to his foot slipping. I'm not excusing him for the mistake, but he would have been safe if he hadn't slipped.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:16 AM)
Two comments on Crede plays screw up.  One, I think he the flight of the ball fooled him.  I think he thought the ball would get down sooner than it did.  Two, when he started back to 2B, his first step was lost due to his foot slipping.  I'm not excusing him for the mistake, but he would have been safe if he hadn't slipped.

he never would've slipped if he hadn't been so far off and realized he was going to get nailed.

no matter - goat to hero. That's baseball.

Question:

If 3rd and 1st were empty... why doesn't the guy making the play at 2nd on Crede not have to tag him?

You'd think that stepping on the bag wouldn't be enough, kinda like when a player gets picked off at 2nd or 1st and they have to tag him first instead of just having their foot on the bag.

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
Question:

If 3rd and 1st were empty... why doesn't the guy making the play at 2nd on Crede not have to tag him?

You'd think that stepping on the bag wouldn't be enough, kinda like when a player gets picked off at 2nd or 1st and they have to tag him first instead of just having their foot on the bag.

Cause on a caught baseball you have to tag up to advance a base.

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 02:58 AM)
Question:

On a caught ball, it's a force out back to the bag.