Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonzaga seems pretty similar to Wake Forest last year. Granted Wake was a better team and played in a tougher conference, but they also had the all-offense no D approach down cold, and we all know what happened there.

Gonzaga needs to avoid getting really athletic and/or big teams in the 7-10 game. They can definitely be taken down by a few mid-level major conference schools.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2348153

Sumpter is taking the medical redshirt.  Unfortunate for Villanova because he really could have helped them in the tournament.

reminds me of randle last year. he would have been a nice option for last season's team.

too bad for sumpter. i was hoping he would get the opportunity to compete this year.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2348153

Sumpter is taking the medical redshirt.  Unfortunate for Villanova because he really could have helped them in the tournament.

Probly a wise decision. I don't know how much he could have even contributed at this point...i mean how healthy would he be? What percentage?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
I find it hilarious that there is a site with Iowa fans that want Steve Alford FIRED AND there is a site of Indiana fans wanting Steve Alford HIRED at the same time.  Kind of ironic.

http://www.firestevealford.com

http://www.hirestevealford.com

Domain Name: HIRESTEVEALFORD.COM

Created on: 15-Feb-06

DomainsByProxy.com

15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353

Scottsdale, Arizona 85260

United States

(480) 624-2599

Domain Name: FIRESTEVEALFORD.COM

created on 05-Jan-2004

Hawkfan

., Iowa 52400

United States

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
Smart move by Sumpter.

For him to preserve any chance of playing professional basketball in the future (NBA or Europe), I think he pretty much had to. Too bad, I'm sure he wants to help this team go for a National Championship.

They shouldn't be all that bad next year either I guess if Sumpter stays healthy. They should have him, Lowry (might go pro but kind of small), Nardi, Sheridan, and an improved Cunningham.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
For him to preserve any chance of playing professional basketball in the future (NBA or Europe), I think he pretty much had to. Too bad, I'm sure he wants to help this team go for a National Championship.

They shouldn't be all that bad next year either I guess if Sumpter stays healthy. They should have him, Lowry (might go pro but kind of small), Nardi, Sheridan, and an improved Cunningham.

Ya, they'll be a top 15 team next year in my mind. I know Lowry is starting to get some looks by pro scouts but I think he's staying.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
Ya, they'll be a top 15 team next year in my mind.  I know Lowry is starting to get some looks by pro scouts but I think he's staying.

There typically isn't much demand for a 6'0" PG with no outside shot in the NBA (unless your name is Sebastian Telfair). He'd be smart to stay.

http://www.mvc-sports.com/webapps/release?id=1594

MVC awards given out today. Our freshman pg Bryan Mullins won Freshman of the Year, made the all newcomer team, all freshman team and all defensive team. Needless to say, he's very good.

Tony Young was the other Saluki to recieve awards making the all first team, and all defensive team as well.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
http://www.mvc-sports.com/webapps/release?id=1594

MVC awards given out today.  Our freshman pg Bryan Mullins won Freshman of the Year, made the all newcomer team, all freshman team and all defensive team.  Needless to say, he's very good.

Tony Young was the other Saluki to recieve awards making the all first team, and all defensive team as well.

Damnit I wish Illinois would have recruited Mullins more than they did (although I'm not sure if he was interested anyways). Not surprised at all to see him doing so well.

Who do you guys think will win Big Ten awards?

If tOSU takes care of business--I'd be shocked to see someone other than Dials and Matta winning player and coach of the year.

I don't know the choices as well for freshman of the year, but Jamelle Cornley of PSU has 12 points and 5 boards on a better Penn State team.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)
Who do you guys think will win Big Ten awards?

If tOSU takes care of business--I'd be shocked to see someone other than Dials and Matta winning player and coach of the year. 

I don't know the choices as well for freshman of the year, but Jamelle Cornley of PSU has 12 points and 5 boards on a better Penn State team.

Thad and Cornley definitely seem like virtual locks. The POY and 1st team doesn't quite appear that way.

For player of the year, the top candidates seem to be Dials, Brown, and Tucker. It all depends on how they weigh individual performance and team performance. Horton might be another sleeper candidate. As for who makes All Conference, that's a real mess. If I were voting, it'd probably be Brown, Horton, Tucker, Dials, and Augustine. You could also make solid cases for Foster, Ager, Davis, Killingsworth, Brunner, and Vukusic however.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
I hope my UIC Flames win the Tourney. Honestly, everyone has a legit shot in our conference.

I have friends and/or family with ties to Loyola and UIC, and they are both inner city schools, so as usual I just hope one of them wins the tourney.

My picks:

Freshmen of the Year: Jamelle Cornley PSU: No contest.

Newcomer of the Year: Marco Killingsworth IU: Yeah he's a senior, but also a newcomer and this one is also no contest

Coach of the Year: Bo Ryan of Wisky as long as they at least split their last 2 games to go 10-6. That team has VERY VERY little besides Tucker and Taylor. Yes they are 2 great players, but this team's already poor depth was hurt losing 2 rotation players earlier this year, and they really came back from the dead to have a nice season. I know everybody will vote Thad and some for Alford, but both are blessed with senior laden, talented teams. However Thad will win, and that's cool with me.

Defensive POY: Brian Randle ILL: Only averages 27.4 MPG because of foul trouble, but is by far the best defender in the league, and the 27 MPG are enough for me to give him the award.

MOP: Vedran Vukusic NW: Most Outstanding Player in the league by a mile. He's double and triple teamed every game, yet still leads the league in scoring while shooting a more than respectable 50.4 percent from the field despite few easy baskets. He might be the MVP of the league too considering how awful NW would be without him, but I just can't get myself to give him that award.

MVP: Terence Dials OSU: Simply put, the best player on the best team. Everything OSU does involves him, he's the best defender on the team, he's a major force on both ends, his interior dominance forces the other team to either let him keep dominating one on one, or double team him, giving open looks to those deadly OSU shooters.

All Big Ten First Team:

C Terence Dials OSU (not sure if he's technically a C, but close enough)

F Vedran Vukusic NW

F Alando Tucker Wisc

G Daniel Horton UM

G Dee Brown ILL

All Big Ten Second Team:

C Paul Davis MSU

F James Augustine ILL

F Greg Brunner Iowa

G Shannon Brown MSU

G Maurice Ager MSU

All Big Ten Third Team:

F Marco Killingsworth IU (loses focus too damn much)

F Robert Vaden IU (same story as his teammate)

F Geary Claxton PSU (picked the wrong year to be a good forward)

G Kammron Taylor Wisc (explosive, but not always consistent)

G Je'Kel Foster OSU (TAKE MORE SHOTS DUDE!!)

Just my opinion, feel free to rip away. Btw, if Michigan State played defense at all, at least one of their three 2nd teamers would be a level up (I didn't want to put Dee Brown on the 1st team, he hasn't been all that great).

Why Ja'Kel only third team? Simply because he doesn't shoot enough?

Also, any of you that look at the Big 12 at all.....what do you think of ISU's NCAA chances for next year? And what are your thoughts on our coaching situation? There's growing rumblings about next year being Morgan's last year if he doesn't do anything. Do you think ISU could draw any coaches with a shred of noteriety?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
My picks:

Newcomer of the Year: Marco Killingsworth IU: Yeah he's a senior, but also a newcomer and this one is also no contest

Coach of the Year: Bo Ryan of Wisky as long as they at least split their last 2 games to go 10-6.  That team has VERY VERY little besides Tucker and Taylor.  Yes they are 2 great players, but this team's already poor depth was hurt losing 2 rotation players earlier this year, and they really came back from the dead to have a nice season.  I know everybody will vote Thad and some for Alford, but both are blessed with senior laden, talented teams.  However Thad will win, and that's cool with me.

Defensive POY: Brian Randle ILL: Only averages 27.4 MPG because of foul trouble, but is by far the best defender in the league, and the 27 MPG are enough for me to give him the award.

MOP: Vedran Vukusic NW: Most Outstanding Player in the league by a mile.  He's double and triple teamed every game, yet still leads the league in scoring while shooting a more than respectable 50.4 percent from the field despite few easy baskets.  He might be the MVP of the league too considering how awful NW would be without him, but I just can't get myself to give him that award.

MVP: Terence Dials OSU: Simply put, the best player on the best team.  Everything OSU does involves him, he's the best defender on the team, he's a major force on both ends, his interior dominance forces the other team to either let him keep dominating one on one, or double team him, giving open looks to those deadly OSU shooters.

All Big Ten First Team:

F Vedran Vukusic NW

F Alando Tucker Wisc

G Daniel Horton UM

G Dee Brown ILL

All Big Ten Second Team:

C Paul Davis MSU

F James Augustine ILL

F Greg Brunner Iowa

G Shannon Brown MSU

G Maurice Ager MSU

All Big Ten Third Team:

Just my opinion, feel free to rip away.  Btw, if Michigan State played defense at all, at least one of their three 2nd teamers would be a level up (I didn't want to put Dee Brown on the 1st team, he hasn't been all that great).

Hard to rip any of that. I actually agree with everything.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
Why Ja'Kel only third team? Simply because he doesn't shoot enough?

Also, any of you that look at the Big 12 at all.....what do you think of ISU's NCAA chances for next year? And what are your thoughts on our coaching situation? There's growing rumblings about next year being Morgan's last year if he doesn't do anything. Do you think ISU could draw any coaches with a shred of noteriety?

1. That's not the only reason. The 2 MSU guards and Horton have definitely been better than him, and Dee Brown I put ahead of him simply because of how important he is to the Illini. Foster needs to f***ing shoot more, but it was more an observation than an explination.

2. The end of next season is a LONG LONG way away, but if Morgan gets canned, I think ISU could find a good replacement to take the job. As for ISU's NCAA chances, they look good on paper every year to me, but are pretty unpredictable as to what they will do on the court.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

The most exciting time of the year has begun, for those who can't wait for the televised games, you can catch the Horizon League games tonight for free here- http://horizonleague.collegesports.com/spo...skbl-sched.html

Just scroll all the way down and you can play the three games once they are airing. Detroit is murdering Cleveland State right now.

Edited by orangekrush88

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
Damnit I wish Illinois would have recruited Mullins more than they did (although I'm not sure if he was interested anyways).  Not surprised at all to see him doing so well.

The only thing he can't do is shoot. His defense is just unbelievable and he knows how to run an offense(though with our stupid motion it kind of slows him down a bit offensively).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
My picks:

Coach of the Year: Bo Ryan of Wisky as long as they at least split their last 2 games to go 10-6.  That team has VERY VERY little besides Tucker and Taylor.  Yes they are 2 great players, but this team's already poor depth was hurt losing 2 rotation players earlier this year, and they really came back from the dead to have a nice season.  I know everybody will vote Thad and some for Alford, but both are blessed with senior laden, talented teams.  However Thad will win, and that's cool with me.

MOP: Vedran Vukusic NW: Most Outstanding Player in the league by a mile.  He's double and triple teamed every game, yet still leads the league in scoring while shooting a more than respectable 50.4 percent from the field despite few easy baskets.  He might be the MVP of the league too considering how awful NW would be without him, but I just can't get myself to give him that award.

MVP: Terence Dials OSU: Simply put, the best player on the best team.  Everything OSU does involves him, he's the best defender on the team, he's a major force on both ends, his interior dominance forces the other team to either let him keep dominating one on one, or double team him, giving open looks to those deadly OSU shooters.

All Big Ten First Team:

F Vedran Vukusic NW

F Alando Tucker Wisc

G Daniel Horton UM

G Dee Brown ILL

All Big Ten Second Team:

C Paul Davis MSU

F James Augustine ILL

F Greg Brunner Iowa

G Shannon Brown MSU

G Maurice Ager MSU

All Big Ten Third Team:

Just my opinion, feel free to rip away.  Btw, if Michigan State played defense at all, at least one of their three 2nd teamers would be a level up (I didn't want to put Dee Brown on the 1st team, he hasn't been all that great).

Defensive player of the year...ERIK Hansen. The best defensive big man in the conference and one of the best in the country.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
The only thing he can't do is shoot.  His defense is just unbelievable and he knows how to run an offense(though with our stupid motion it kind of slows him down a bit offensively).

Yep, a lot like Frazier, only Mullins IMO has a bit more polished game and is an in state kid. I'm not a "we have to get in state kids" kind of guy, but in this situation I'd rather take the Illinois kid who I think is a bit better (and this isn't hinsight, I was thinking this going back to the recruiting period).

Edited by whitesoxfan101