Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)
Yes, Tinsley and Fizer were both juniors.

Are you thinking of Dedric Willoboughy? I honestly can't remember back too far?

Could have been him. Be sorry you missed out on that tourney run cause Kato was a total beast. Of course it wouldn't be ISU if they didn't eventually blow a big lead to UCLA and lose (so maybe it is good you don't remember it).

At least you got Vroman in the NBA :D

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 01:33 AM)
Rex can attest to this.  Vaden's really hasn't looked good at all this year.  He's really become the new Bracey, except he doesn't take 50 shots a game.  He doesn't really go into the paint with that much success.  He's either completely on or completely off.  That's why I was surprised you thought he had a good game today, I wasn't all that pleased with his performance.

Vaden is very talented, but I think he plays out of control too often. I think he feels he has to make things happen and pushes things in heavy traffic at the wrong times. I do think they should set him up to post up inside and draw plays for him. If they did that and he let the game come to him rather than freestyling when things aren't going exactly as planned, he could be an all-conference type player. He is an excellent passer and rebounder to boot.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 01:47 AM)
I don't see it changing much.  However, apparently Andy Katz was on ESPN a few minutes ago.  He said he talked to Davis, and there's no way he's resigning.

We'll see.  I still find it impossible for him to be able to show his face in Assembly Hall after being sick or "sick" when all these rumors are flying.

It's funny reading the open forum on Peegs right now.  A lot of those people are 10x worse with how they view Davis, compared to how WSI views the Cubs.

Try checking out the forums at firemikedavis.com. Man some of those guys are way the hell out there. I can understand not liking losing, but some of those guys are off their rocker!

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 02:11 AM)
I still can't stand Gonzaga and their dumb fans.

Go cardinal, time for the zags to play someone in the top 200 rpi.

Why are their fans dumb? Looks like a pretty damned good atmosphere there to me.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
Why are their fans dumb?  Looks like a pretty damned good atmosphere there to me.

Seriously, I'm jealous. I think they have as good of fan support as any team in the country (in terms of at games). Obviously there are tons of teams with more overall fans, but Zag fans are passionate and the students are at all the games.

As long as IU doesn't hire Alford, I'd be pretty happy with anyone else.

My main picks would be Crean, Wright, the guy from WVA would be okay as well.

Of course I definitely don't want anyone that would make them better than MSU, since IU is my 2nd to the beloved Spartans.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
Seriously, I'm jealous.  I think they have as good of fan support as any team in the country (in terms of at games).  Obviously there are tons of teams with more overall fans, but Zag fans are passionate and the students are at all the games.

What else do they have to do?

They are in Spokane.

I'm sure there are limited options there.

Supposedly they started lining up for gameday last Monday.

If so, these are some sick f*cks.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 08:24 PM)
Seriously, I'm jealous.  I think they have as good of fan support as any team in the country (in terms of at games).  Obviously there are tons of teams with more overall fans, but Zag fans are passionate and the students are at all the games.

I have absolutely no problem with their fans, I have a problem with their team. They won't make it to the second weekend come tourny time.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
What else do they have to do?

They are in Spokane.

I'm sure there are limited options there.

Supposedly they started lining up for gameday last Monday.

If so, these are some sick f*cks.

Of course there is nothing else to do, but that doesn't mean the place doesn't have an awesome atmosphere. Isn't that what college basketball is all about?

If you ask me, I think Gonzaga and the passion their students have is just one of the reasons why college basketball is so great.

Hell, this year college basketball has passed the pro's in my mind. I have grown sick of the whiny babies in the NBA. Sure the talent is better in the NBA, but in college you have diehard fans and more importantly players out there busting there complete asses all the time.

Also you don't get much showboating nor is there near the super star treatment, although I realize most non Duke fans would disagree with that.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 06:30 PM)
I have absolutely no problem with their fans, I have a problem with their team.  They won't make it to the second weekend come tourny time.

They need to schedule more tough games late in the season to help prepare them for the tourney. Their conference isn't as bad as some of you say (last year St. Mary's was a pretty strong club), but without them its just a bit better than the Big West.

Here's a question, could the Zags enter a bigger conference. Maybe find a way into the Pac 10 to play basketball (I know its highly unlikely) but having a tougher schedule could make them so much more ready for the big games because I do think they are one of the better teams in teh country, but I agree with your assesment on them not going deep.

That said with Batista and Morrison they got as good of a 1-2 as anyone. Its just the lack of tight games and how to finish those type of games that will kill them come tourney time when aside from the 1st round (well most of the time for top 1-3 seeds) you are playing a pretty damn good team every game.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
They need to schedule more tough games late in the season to help prepare them for the tourney.  Their conference isn't as bad as some of you say (last year St. Mary's was a pretty strong club), but without them its just a bit better than the Big West. 

Here's a question, could the Zags enter a bigger conference.  Maybe find a way into the Pac 10 to play basketball (I know its highly unlikely) but having a tougher schedule could make them so much more ready for the big games because I do think they are one of the better teams in teh country, but I agree with your assesment on them not going deep.

That said with Batista and Morrison they got as good of a 1-2 as anyone.  Its just the lack of tight games and how to finish those type of games that will kill them come tourney time when aside from the 1st round (well most of the time for top 1-3 seeds) you are playing a pretty damn good team every game.

I've heard that Calipari and Few have talked about scheduling a game with each other late in the season for that exact reason that you talked about, makes a lot of sense if you think about it. My problem with the zags is their lack of caring on defense. They are as talented as anyone in the country on offense but when you don't care about the defensive side of the ball you just aren't going to go very far.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
I've heard that Calipari and Few have talked about scheduling a game with each other late in the season for that exact reason that you talked about, makes a lot of sense if you think about it.  My problem with the zags is their lack of caring on defense.  They are as talented as anyone in the country on offense but when you don't care about the defensive side of the ball you just aren't going to go very far.

No doubt the defense is what gets them. I think some of that comes down to the SOS because they don't play those tight games were defense becomes a huge factor since most often they can score at will.

However when you play against other talented teams that have good defenses you will learn that you can't put up a gazillion points every night and your team will quickly learn the importance of getting back and playing defense.

If Gonzaga could get there guys to have some defensive intensity they would be hard to beat. Its not going to happen this year, but I think Few has to find a way to improve that defense.

Than again if St. Mary's and Santa Clara are every good at the same time as Gonzaga it could make for a pretty fun conference. Consider you have Stockton/Dickau,etc out of Gonzaga and of course Nash from Santa Clara.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
I don't see it changing much.  However, apparently Andy Katz was on ESPN a few minutes ago.  He said he talked to Davis, and there's no way he's resigning.

We'll see.  I still find it impossible for him to be able to show his face in Assembly Hall after being sick or "sick" when all these rumors are flying.

It's funny reading the open forum on Peegs right now.  A lot of those people are 10x worse with how they view Davis, compared to how WSI views the Cubs.

Article on such: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/stor...andy&id=2327443

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 09:26 PM)
So much for that gut feeling. ;)

Booyah.

---------------

Morrison hits a 3 at the end of the first half, and Gonzaga is down 43-48 to Stanford.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 08:48 PM)
Article on such:  http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/stor...andy&id=2327443

Booyah.

---------------

Ha, it's at hall and they've been hot as of late, plus uconn has nova on monday, I thought that could be one of those danger games.

Anywho, UNI down 6 with less then 3 to go. Cmon Bears :headbang

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
Ha, it's at hall and they've been hot as of late, plus uconn has nova on monday, I thought that could be one of those danger games.

Anywho, UNI down 6 with less then 3 to go.  Cmon Bears :headbang

Can't wait for that Uconn Nova game. One of the best matchups all season.

To add to what aboz said earlier about basketball being king in Indiana....

The coaching situation/fan satisfaction situation is bad at IU. To further illustrate how fans view basketball in this state, here are a few excerpts from a column in the Evansville Courier about the AD at the University of Evansville flirting with Long Beach State for the same position. The article basically stated that the AD would remain at Evansville and would not pursue LB State.

Here are the readers responses to the article:

Why would Bill leave Evansville? Long Beach might expect results. Here at Evansville he can be complete failure and keep his job. Not only that he his being paid by the rest of the conference teams to ensure they never finish in last place with his selection of coaches.

The University of Evansville needs to get rid of Bill McGillis and Coach Merfeld before this program is lost forever. Previous players at UE who helped build this program are sick at heart that what they helped build has crumbled and all their hard work has gone down the drain with this coach and AD. Even the Evansville community is losing revenue because attendance is down at games. Someone needs to do something NOW!!

Bill, Where have you directed the Athletic Department?

A "house cleaning" is needed.

Ex-Aces fan | 02.08.06 - 2:53 pm | #

Come on Bill? You were not interested, but you flew across country and interviewed? The announced attendence at the UE game was 5,000, but we all no that there was 2,500. McGilly was not interested, but he interviewed. The Aces have a great coach, but we have Smurf. Wake up Evansville. We are being played and used for a lot of money. Evansville Courier, please quit feeding this guys ego and put in his teams overall records at UE since he has been here. Until he hires a new basketball coach, I have no use for him as AD in Evansville. Let go of your ego and admit you hired the wrong guy and you may become a good AD. Until then, you are wasting our money.

Unf***inreal. Missouri State up 1 with 18 secs to go gets it to Blake Ahearn who is a 94 percent ft shooter, for some f***in reason he throws a pass and throws it away. UNI has a chance to win now. God damn it.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
It's not just at IU.  I'm sure Purdue fans aren't too damned happy with what is going on there. 

Rule basketball in Indiana and you rule the state.

Painter's going to get that program turned around eventually.

And my roommate/manager said Davis was actually really sick. He went out to his house, and he said he looked white. I have no idea what to believe anymore.

f*** yeah, UNI goes down and SIU back in a 4 way tie for the mvc lead :headbang . Each team has 3 conference games left, Creighton still plays Wichita State on Tuesday and we still play UNI in Carbondale the last game of the year. Good Stuff.

Edited by Rowand44