Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Iowa is doing one hell of a job trying to blow this game.

Despite the score and the late scare we hit em pretty good on the road and it was the Hawks best road win of the year.

Killingworth put in an effort but most of his points game in garbage time. Vaden continued to hurt us, but luckily he didn't take as many shots as he did the first time around.

Our free throw shooting almost ended up costing us the 2nd straight game (we are a solid FT shooting team though) cause it did cost us the NU game.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
Let's see...

IU = in a state where basketball is King.

It's ridiculous. I was at the library studying for a test a little bit before and after the game, and it's absolutely the only thing I heard being talked about.

Jay Wright sounds like he would be a good candidate. This is just me putting this out here, but do you think Mark Few would be considered? He's not going to get any farther at a place like Gonzaga.

Apparently, Andy Katz was saying this morning that, if the job were to become vacant Tom Crean (Marquette) and John Beilein (Pittsnoggle U) are at the top of the list. And I guess Majerus apparently said this would be his "dream job" during the game?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
DJ got hurt. 

Killingsworth was basically unknown at the beginning of the season, and no one knew what to do with him.  Once they thought they had started to figure him out, DJ comes back.  Killingsworth and DJ would always demand 3 guys on them, and this would open up easy outside shots.

And then DJ went down for the second time.

Killingsworth is no longer an unknown.  For the most part, you can guarantee yourself victory, if you stop Killingsworth on offense, or get him into foul trouble.

How was Killingsworth unknown? The guy was the leading scorer on Auburn before transferring and was one of the better players in the conference.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
How was Killingsworth unknown?  The guy was the leading scorer on Auburn before transferring and was one of the better players in the conference.

Well no one had an answer for him at the beginning of the season. People certainly didn't have an answer for him.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
Now you know why we made the Final 4 last year.

We had Chris Hill, Anderson and Torbert handling the ball in clutch situations.

Not Drew Neitzel.

He did absolutely nothing today.

1-8, 3 pts, 2 assists, 2 turnovers and 4 fouls.  The amazing part is that he took 31 minutes to accumulate this great stat line.

And some guy named Boone scored 10 pts on him, including two threes, 4 assists and yes, he blocked Neitzel's shot twice.

Neitzel, you suck.

If it makes ya feel better, one of his only good games was when you guys torched Iowa. In the 1st half (when it was a game) the guy made all your big shots. Well everyone made shots that day.

It seems like every one of the top teams in the big 10 have now had a bad loss in conference play. Its just proven, the big 10 is so solid everywhere that when the better teams play a wors team on the road, its still anybody's game.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Big 12 10-year team:

Hinrich

Collison

LaFrentz

Ford

Fizer

Guess what? All three Kansas players were from the state of Iowa.

Ya, I forget who but the Hawks supposedly pretty much had one of Hinrich/LaFrentz locked up or I remember hearing that. Don't remember which on.

It killed me that year that KU went deep (w/Hinrich and Collison) both not playing in Iowa. I want the states best guys playing for the Hawks or ISU, case closed.

So Tinsley should be a 2nd or 3rd team guy. He was darn good for the Clones and I still say that team got robbed by the home court the Spartans had.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
They might be the deepest league when comparing good teams to the amount of teams in the league, as far as final four contenders go, the big east  is superior to the big 10.

Ya...Villanova and Uconn >>> anything the big 10 can throw out. I do think the Big 10 could take on the likes of Pitt though. Just like last year the big 10 was down but had the 2nd best team in the country and MSU (damn good team, still are this year, but they aren't playing like it).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
That makes two of us.

I see 2 or 3 in the sweet 16, but beyond that the only team I could see going is MSU and that won't happen unless they start playing like they can. They are hands down the most talented team in the conference.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
stop whining, we beat you guys twice with ease.

KU on the roll

Iowa state also missed 7 front end of 1 and 1's.  That is 7 more chances.

Or, you know, according to online GameTracker play-by-play, they missed two front ends of 1-1's. But don't let actual facts get in the way of your reasoning.

What about when Chalmers hooked Hubalek on the top of they key with his left hand and the foul was called on Hubalek? That foul is called numerous times on Stinson, but rarely have I ever seen it called on the defender.

Enjoy this year, because the rest of the Big 12 isn't going to stay down. Just enjoy your #2 seed in teh Big 12 tournament.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Washington with a nice win over the Bruins.

Bruins may have lost, but I'd love to see them with a healthy squad. Howland is definately the man to bring the glory back to Pauley Pavillion. I'm glad too, that way UCLA can have something to shove into USC fans faces (in case anyone doesn't know by now...I despise every sports team in LA but UCLA).

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
Or, you know, according to online GameTracker play-by-play, they missed two front ends of 1-1's. But don't let actual facts get in the way of your reasoning.

What about when Chalmers hooked Hubalek on the top of they key with his left hand and the foul was called on Hubalek? That foul is called numerous times on Stinson, but rarely have I ever seen it called on the defender.

Enjoy this year, because the rest of the Big 12 isn't going to stay down. Just enjoy your #2 seed in teh Big 12 tournament.

We are just getting better..but thanks.

Too be honest i missed the entire first half, ESPN gameplan decided to show the EMU, vs Miami of Ohio women's game instead.

God damn espn.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)
Ya, I forget who but the Hawks supposedly pretty much had one of Hinrich/LaFrentz locked up or I remember hearing that.  Don't remember which on. 

It killed me that year that KU went deep (w/Hinrich and Collison) both not playing in Iowa.  I want  the states best guys playing for the Hawks or ISU, case closed.

So Tinsley should be a 2nd or 3rd team guy.  He was darn good for the Clones and I still say that team got robbed by the home court the Spartans had.

My dad told me that LaFrentz had always said Kansas, but had left the door open to Iowa. Hinrich comitted to Iowa State.

I totally agree with you about the schools need to work harder in-state. Any coincidence Iowa is doing so well with Horner, Haluska, Brunner, Thompson, Henderson....all from Iowa?

That team lost to Hampton. The Fizer team was robbed with their bracket placement. I don't quite figure out how you're in the running for that last one seed and you end up in the same bracket as the best team in the nation.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
It's ridiculous.  I was at the library studying for a test a little bit before and after the game, and it's absolutely the only thing I heard being talked about.

Jay Wright sounds like he would be a good candidate.  This is just me putting this out here, but do you think Mark Few would be considered?  He's not going to get any farther at a place like Gonzaga.

Apparently, Andy Katz was saying this morning that, if the job were to become vacant Tom Crean (Marquette) and John Beilein (Pittsnoggle U) are at the top of the list.  And I guess Majerus apparently said this would be his "dream job" during the game?

If Majerus goes anywhere...I-O-W-A. But Rick isn't going back to coaching unless he sheds some pounds and quick. I love when Majerus does Hawkeye games cause he always says nice things about the team.

That said Alford is finally doing what I thought he was capable of. Will it be an abberration or has he simply learned a lesson about quality individuals and how much they can help a program. I think the whole Pierce debacle taught him something.

Its too bad Recker got banged up a few years back cause that squad with Evans, Dean Oliver, and Recker was seriously one of the best Hawkeye teams I ever saw and was capable of a lot.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
If Majerus goes anywhere...I-O-W-A.  But Rick isn't going back to coaching unless he sheds some pounds and quick.  I love when Majerus does Hawkeye games cause he always says nice things about the team. 

That said Alford is finally doing what I thought he was capable of.  Will it be an abberration or has he simply learned a lesson about quality individuals and how much they can help a program.  I think the whole Pierce debacle taught him something.

Its too bad Recker got banged up a few years back cause that squad with Evans, Dean Oliver, and Recker was seriously one of the best Hawkeye teams I ever saw and was capable of a lot.

Just curious....being in California, how'd you end up an Iowa fan? Did you have family go there or something?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
Well no one had an answer for him at the beginning of the season.  People certainly didn't have an answer for him.

Come conference play people have figured him out. He needs to improve his passing and imo, take it up stronger when he shoots. He did do nice against Iowa, but at the same time most of the game the Hawks had him totally contained.

Plus Hansen was in foul trouble for part of the game and we all have seen how Hansen can control Killingsworth.

Why don't they use Vaden much? The only times I've seen IU play he seems to always light things up but they don't seem to draw many shots up for him. He's a big guy who is strong enough for post moves and can shoot the hell out of the ball from beyond the arc. I really like that guy (even got his name right this time).

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
My dad told me that LaFrentz had always said Kansas, but had left the door open to Iowa. Hinrich comitted to Iowa State.

I totally agree with you about the schools need to work harder in-state. Any coincidence Iowa is doing so well with Horner, Haluska, Brunner, Thompson, Henderson....all from Iowa?

That team lost to Hampton. The Fizer team was robbed with their bracket placement. I don't quite figure out how you're in the running for that last one seed and you end up in the same bracket as the best team in the nation.

Which Clone team was it that lost to the Spartans in the final four or elite eight (forget which one). It was held in Michigan and was all Spartan fans and at the end of the game (it wasn't Floyd but your guy that got canned a few years back, forget the name) finally got a T which ended the game.

The other big game I remember was when UCLA was still pretty dominant and they had a total comeback on ISU and in the end hit a runner to win (that was another solid squad).

Surprisingly Iowa and ISU have both had some good squads relatively recently (last 10 years or so).

And I am so damn thankful for Haluska transferring. If we didn't have him we wouldn't be in 1st in the big 10 and we'd probably be the worse team in the big 10 next year (since we are losing everyone).

All I know is Haluska will have to get even better next year and Freeman/Thompson and company are going to have to develop in a hurry. It would also be nice if Alford could bring in some big time recruits.

If only Hinrich stuck around playing ball at ISU or Iowa. He's already my favorite player in the NBA...and that would only make it greater.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
Come conference play people have figured him out.  He needs to improve his passing and imo, take it up stronger when he shoots.  He did do nice against Iowa, but at the same time most of the game the Hawks had him totally contained. 

Plus Hansen was in foul trouble for part of the game and we all have seen how Hansen can control Killingsworth.

Why don't they use Vaden much?  The only times I've seen IU play he seems to always light things up but they don't seem to draw many shots up for him.  He's a big guy who is strong enough for post moves and can shoot the hell out of the ball from beyond the arc.  I really like that guy (even got his name right this time).

Rex can attest to this. Vaden's really hasn't looked good at all this year. He's really become the new Bracey, except he doesn't take 50 shots a game. He doesn't really go into the paint with that much success. He's either completely on or completely off. That's why I was surprised you thought he had a good game today, I wasn't all that pleased with his performance.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)
Just curious....being in California, how'd you end up an Iowa fan?  Did you have family go there or something?

My dad grew up on a farm in Iowa and his entire family (aside from him) still lives there so we go there once or twice a year. All my cousins (they are all older than me) went to Iowa so whenever I was back the Hawkeyes were all they ever talked about and my dads a big fan as well.

Its nice, its the lone team my dad and I both root for. By far my favorite all around college (ie I root for the BBall and Football team). ND I solely follow the football team and of course Fullerton for baseball.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
Rex can attest to this.  Vaden's really hasn't looked good at all this year.  He's really become the new Bracey, except he doesn't take 50 shots a game.  He doesn't really go into the paint with that much success.  He's either completely on or completely off.  That's why I was surprised you thought he had a good game today, I wasn't all that pleased with his performance.

He didn't take many shots and I don't pay attention to whose playing defense for you guys, cause well quite frankly I don't think you guys have much any defense. I thought Iowa just executed poorly in the 2nd half when you went on your run and its long been the Hawks problem. Sometimes they take quick shots and go away from quick passes and working the clock.

That said anytime he had a little daylight he seemed to hit the 3. It seemed to me as if he didn't take enough shots, but I think the only IU games I've watched this year were the Iowa games and than two games early in the season. Aside from that I've only seen highlights or short parts of games.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
Which Clone team was it that lost to the Spartans in the final four or elite eight (forget which one).  It was held in Michigan and was all Spartan fans and at the end of the game (it wasn't Floyd but your guy that got canned a few years back, forget the name) finally got a T which ended the game. 

The other big game I remember was when UCLA was still pretty dominant and they had a total comeback on ISU and in the end hit a runner to win (that was another solid squad).

Surprisingly Iowa and ISU have both had some good squads relatively recently (last 10 years or so). 

And I am so damn thankful for Haluska transferring.  If we didn't have him we wouldn't be in 1st in the big 10 and we'd probably be the worse team in the big 10 next year (since we are losing everyone). 

All I know is Haluska will have to get even better next year and Freeman/Thompson and company are going to have to develop in a hurry.  It would also be nice if Alford could bring in some big time recruits.

If only Hinrich stuck around playing ball at ISU or Iowa.  He's already my favorite player in the NBA...and that would only make it greater.

It was Fizer's final year. Eustachy got the T. ISU lost to Michigan State in Auburn Hills, which would be similar to making Duke play UCONN in Boston.

I don't see it changing much. However, apparently Andy Katz was on ESPN a few minutes ago. He said he talked to Davis, and there's no way he's resigning.

We'll see. I still find it impossible for him to be able to show his face in Assembly Hall after being sick or "sick" when all these rumors are flying.

It's funny reading the open forum on Peegs right now. A lot of those people are 10x worse with how they view Davis, compared to how WSI views the Cubs.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
It was Fizer's final year. Eustachy got the T. ISU lost to Michigan State in Auburn Hills, which would be similar to making Duke play UCONN in Boston.

Wasn't Tinsley on that team as well?

And who was on that squad that went down to UCLA. I remember Kato having an insane run of blocks, but can't think of who else was on the squad.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)
Wasn't Tinsley on that team as well? 

And who was on that squad that went down to UCLA.  I remember Kato having an insane run of blocks, but can't think of who else was on the squad.

Yes, Tinsley and Fizer were both juniors.

Are you thinking of Dedric Willoboughy? I honestly can't remember back too far?