Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
(but that's good enough to mean the Big 10 is the best league in the NCAA, which says a lot about the NCAA).

They might be the deepest league when comparing good teams to the amount of teams in the league, as far as final four contenders go, the big east is superior to the big 10.

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
They might be the deepest league when comparing good teams to the amount of teams in the league, as far as final four contenders go, the big east  is superior to the big 10.

Agreed, I think you said it better than I could. I would be shocked if any Big 10 team makes the final 4, none are that cailbur.

This Marshall team is interesting. They have been doo doo all year (9-12, 2-6 in CUSA!) but won against West Virginia, and is leading by 3 against Memphis early in the 2nd half. Game is on CSTV for those of you who have it, it would be funny is Marshall shocks another team.....

(watch them lose by 15 now)

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
Best name I've heard.

Jay Wright.

Hopefully for IU fans, that will happen after this year.

I'm sure they'll name an interim coach and then clean house after the year.

Worst thing for them will be DJ White transferring, Vaden possibly as well.

But it won't take long to turn things around there, even if those guys do leave.

I really don't think DJ White will transfer. When faced with the reality of sitting out almost two full seasons, and talking to a new coach, I think he will find his best course of action is to stay. Even if he just does it to get his game to a level to jump to the NBA after one season. Sitting out another season doesn't help him.

Aboz, give me som background on Jay Wright. I don't know much about him.

PSU just does not match up well with Wisconsin. I think the 2nd half is the first time Wisconsin has not gone through a offensive lull for a few minutes.

If they can play this way they might actually be able to win one of the tough away games they have coming up.

And I was just joking about the statements of Wisconsin might lose from earlier in the game.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
I really don't think DJ White will transfer.  When faced with the reality of sitting out almost two full seasons, and talking to a new coach, I think he will find his best course of action is to stay.  Even if he just does it to get his game to a level to jump to the NBA after one season.  Sitting out another season doesn't help him.

Aboz, give me som background on Jay Wright.  I don't know much about him.

And DJ will be the real tell tale about the rest of the team. I think his decision will ultimately determine how many stay or don't.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
And DJ will be the real tell tale about the rest of the team.  I think his decision will ultimately determine how many stay or don't.

That could be true. I just know it easy to think "if they fire my coach, then I will leave". But once the reality hits that they can't follow him to another school (not often is that possible) and they will have to sit out a year if they transfer the mindset changes a bit. Once a new coach is named, he will have a chance to bring the players back into the mindset of staying. The rapport the new coach builds will make a huge difference in deciding what happens.

Some of the Illini fans can chime in here, but weren't there rampant rumors of players leaving when Self left? At least a few key players? And that wasn't even a firing of the head coach.

ISU - Kansas was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in a while. Iowa State was called for 10 more fouls and had KU shooot 20 more free throws in the game. It was ridiculous seeing KU players being able to reach in and/or skullf*** the ISU ball handlers, but if a player from ISU grazed a Jayhawk, it was a foul.

Free throws the last two games (@KSU, @KU)

ISU: 5-16

Opp: 45-57

I realize ISU has been fouling a lot before, but this seems to bit of a disparity that is outside the normal range of an expected total.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
Aboz, give me som background on Jay Wright.  I don't know much about him.

I know he was at Hofstra a while ago when they made a few NCAA tourney appearances. Speedy Claxton was there when he coached there.

As far as his success at Villanova, he's basically brought that program back to where it is right now. Think he's been there 4 or 5 seasons. Many people thought they should have beaten UNC last year in the tourney (don't know if you remember that game or not).

He's definitely one of the hottest (if not the hottest name out there right now).

I know I've heard from a couple of people that he would be at the top of IU's list if they do need a coach.

Here's a bit more about him from the Villanova website:

http://villanova.collegesports.com/sports/...ight_jay00.html

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)
I'm not sure why Villanova is a "stepping stone" job as it seems to be assumed in this thread....they have a great history, play in the Big East, are in a major city (Philly) and an area where they can get tons of good east coast recruits, not sure why he'd be so quick to leave.

Let's see...

IU = in a state where basketball is King.

National championships = 5 (in case you're counting, that's the 3rd best of all-time)

Villanova has one national title and it was in one of the biggest upsets ever in college basketball. Other than that, I don't know of their "great" history.

Also the IU job would pay substantially more than Villanova.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
That's insane...

Before the Iowa game, I thought they were playing their best basketball of the decade. They got blown out, and haven't been the same since.

That loss they had to OSU was rough since OSU shot insanely from 3 point range (than again the Hawks shot pretty ridiculously against them too).