Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 12:22 AM)
I'm with you here, just playing devils advocate cause there are some scenarios where I could see them getting there.  They've beat gtown at home also this season for the record, though I think gtown is the much better team.

I really don't like using the who-beat-who argument in college basketball because there are a ton of variables. Georgetown wasn't playing all that well early in the year, so beating them wasn't that big a deal back then. They're a much better team right now than they were when they lost to West Virginia, Illinois, and Vanderbilt. A lot of that can probably be attributed to their offense. A lot of guys didn't mesh early on, and that killed them (what was weird is it was Green and Bowman who were struggling early, the veterans). They just look so efficient now, and a lot of different guys can beat you.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
I really don't like using the who-beat-who argument in college basketball because there are a ton of variables. Georgetown wasn't playing all that well early in the year, so beating them wasn't that big a deal back then. They're a much better team right now than they were when they lost to West Virginia, Illinois, and Vanderbilt. A lot of that can probably be attributed to their offense. A lot of guys didn't mesh early on, and that killed them (what was weird is it was Green and Bowman who were struggling early, the veterans). They just look so efficient now, and a lot of different guys can beat you.

They're also a very good defensive team who doesn't turn it over, I love gtown come tourny time. And ya I agree that they are 10 times better now then they were earlier.

Jay Bilas on the thought that Duke gets the majority of the calls:

More on the Duke conspiracy

The more I hear my colleagues in the media debate whether there is an unfair advantage provided to Duke by officials, the more they sound like complete fools. From the game's beginning, opponents of winning teams have opined that the team at the top gets the calls. The Big East coaches used to complain privately that Lou Carnesecca got the calls at St. John's. ACC coaches complained that Dean Smith got the calls at North Carolina. Coaches everywhere complained that John Wooden got the calls at UCLA.

Of course, no one has brought forth any credible evidence of such a conspiracy, statistical or otherwise. Surely, if there were such an advantage provided to one team, the statistics and the evidence would be clear. But no one has come up with any evidence of such a conspiracy beyond the anecdotal. For every call one can point toward to suggest that Duke gets the calls, I can point to two in which Duke's opponent has gotten the benefit of a whistle or no whistle.

This talk is silly and irresponsible, and it wrongly questions the integrity of officials that are assigned to call the games. Why is there no discussion about UConn getting the calls, since UConn's free-throw disparity is just as pronounced as the critics say Duke's is? Has there been a statistical comparison done of the foul or free-throw disparity in other leagues, and the disparity between the best team in the league and the other teams? Where is this statistical data, or where is the film showing all of these calls that go Duke's way? All of these games are on television, and every game has multiple camera angles. Have these critics provided evidence of missed calls in Duke's favor to suggest that Duke gets an unfair advantage from a favorable whistle? The answer is no. There is no evidence. This is a big, silly smoke screen.

One could just as easily point to those making these charges and say they have an anti-Duke bias or are making these outrageous statements to gain spotlight and further their careers. But, of course, that wouldn't make such outrageous statements true. It would only raise questions and color perceptions. And in short, it would be wrong to do so.

Here is another thing to factor into your conspiracy discussion: Mike Krzyzewski has always coached foul situations pretty well. I played and coached under Krzyzewski at Duke, and he has always been acutely aware of fouls and foul situations. When his team is close to the one-and-one, he drills his team to be more aggressive in order to get into the bonus, which will reward them for getting fouled and also make the opposing team defend more tentatively for fear of fouling. On the flip side, Coach K has always been mindful of the sixth foul, and avoiding for as long as possible picking up the seventh. He discusses it often with his team, especially his bench players. When a sub goes in, he might think he has no fouls individually, so getting a foul is not a big deal. To Coach K, that is the wrong way for a sub to look at it. He wants that sub to be aware of the team foul situation. It is not just that sub's foul; it is the team's foul and could put the team at a disadvantage. That is what some would call discipline -- doing the right thing, at the right time, to the best of your ability.

It is OK to question whether a particular call was correct or incorrect. But to suggest that officials give Duke an unfair advantage, and to do so without evidence of any kind, is wrong. It is insulting to the officials and questions their integrity, and it insults the intelligence of fair-minded people. To suggest a bias toward one team, without compelling evidence, is not responsible.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
Puke my friend.

I'm assuming that was his point...

Of course there isn't going to be any evidence, how often is there evidence when any kind of conspiracy arises? Just watch a damn game without a pro-Duke bias and you can see that they get virtually every borderline call. If one really wanted to, they could build a case showing some extremely iffy calls that went Duke's way. I don't think you could come up with anywhere near as many going the other way (unless they're playing another top team on the road. I thought the UNC game was pretty even). I saw about 4 just in the Boston College game and 3 just from the highlights of the FSU game. What's worse is that all of them were in crunch time.

The only reason the free throw disparities aren't ridiculously high is that Duke is a predominantly a jump-shooting team and has been for some time. If they took it to the rack like UConn usually does (Really bad comparison by the way. No where near as much dominance, and they're huge) things would be a lot worse.

Isn't it nearly as irresponsible of him to suddenly jump to the defense of his alma mater and dismiss everything? It's pretty clear that he has a strong bias towards Duke, and that there were numerous iffy calls recently that benefitted Duke. The refs were reprimanded in back to back games, that should mean something. At least throw in some type of argument that says something like "top teams often get the benefit of the doubt (at least at home)", or "top coaches that know how to talk to the refs are going to get more borderline calls that go their way," even if it might be crap. The media seemed to think the same thing about the White Sox, but few if any were jumping to dismiss that.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

There's no conspiracy. Coach K gets all of the calls because of the venom he spews at ref's constantly, he gets away with cursing more than anyone else in college basketball. Here's a great article about it, its been posted before, but it explains it very well.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9216412

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Yeah, it was.  It's funny that we're supposed to accept his point for just what it is.  ESPN has a hard-on for Duke, and Bilas is an alumnus of Duke.  Hmm..

Yeah, i had to post it...certainly i don't agree with it. Usually Bilas isn't a blatant homer, but his opinion there is quite ridiculous.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2326174

So Quinn Snyder stepped down from the Mizz coaching job. 

Melvin Watkins will take over.

Horrible news. Hopefully this situation isn't a total loss and they take Mike Davis when Indiana dumps him.

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
i'm going to miss his stunning hair most of all.

I'm going to miss Illinois beating Missouri every year most of all.

But wait, didnt he learn basketball at the hands of the immortal Coach K?! How could any of his disciples possibly fail?!

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
I'm going to miss Illinois beating Missouri every year most of all.

But wait, didnt he learn basketball at the hands of the immortal Coach K?!  How could any of his disciples possibly fail?!

If ND had a clue basketball exists, Mike Brey would be next. Amaker is coming up with an incredible run, or he'd be gone too. These Duke guys are finding life difficult without Myron Piggie and the refs on their team.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
Nah, but that rumor is hot over there.  I know the Indiana students have a protest planned for the next home game (which is tomorrow?)

People are doing a "black-out" in support of firing Mike Davis. I find it to be lame. I don't know how big it'll end up being.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 11:47 PM)
People are doing a "black-out" in support of firing Mike Davis.  I find it to be lame.  I don't know how big it'll end up being.

wow.

I gotta say I'm suprised at just how fast IU fell apart this season. I really thought davis turned a corner early on.