Official College Basketball Thread

excellent win for osu. that said, i would take their offensive approach tonight (lots of 3s, not a lot of a foul-prone dials) sunday against illinois.

also, i've said it before and will say it again - jamar butler is the most underrated player in the big ten.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently I wasn't the only one that realized that Michigan was done once Harris went out. They have some good players, but they just didn't have enough tonight. They were already without Abram (Is he out for the year? I know it's been a while.) and Smith. Harris was just too much. They're a very tough team when all of those guys are there, but Michigan is screwed if Harris is out for a while.

OSU played a hell of a game on offense. They were ridiculously hot and Michigan has a brutal defense (When was the last time someone allowed 60% shooting in back to back games? How about 60% from behind the arc in back to back games?). Normally I hate it when teams shoot that well, but I can live with this one. OSU played great in the second half, using the 3-point threat to get a lot of easy shots in the second half. The way Michigan was playing in the first half they probably should have been up 10, but the way OSU played in the second half it might not have mattered. It was even more impressive considering that Dials was in foul trouble.

I like both of these teams, but I just don't know what to think of either of them. Neither really has a whole lot of impressive wins.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
Big,  big game this Sunday.

The winner takes a big step up in the conference race. I've seen both teams a few teams, and I definitely think OSU is a better team. They're deeper, more athletic, have more diverse scoring, and have more quality shooters. Their one major weakness is the lack of depth inside, but Illinois doesn't really have the personel to take advantage of that. I think Illinois is going to need a big shooting night to win at OSU, or play some phenomenal defense.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 02:38 AM)
The winner takes a big step up in the conference race. I've seen both teams a few teams, and I definitely think OSU is a better team. They're deeper, more athletic, have more diverse scoring, and have more quality shooters. Their one major weakness is the lack of depth inside, but Illinois doesn't really have the personel to take advantage of that. I think Illinois is going to need a big shooting night to win at OSU, or play some phenomenal defense.

as of now, i would have to give osu a marked edge for many of the reasons you've mentioned. to add to that, over the course of the past few seasons illinois has not played particularly well at the schott. we know what happened last year and two years ago illinois needed a osu to miss a late shot to win a game against an osu team that was not very talented.

frankly, though, i have to hope osu falls in love with the 3 as they do sometimes. if there is any area where i have a lot of confidence in illinois it is in their perimeter defense. that's what they are going to have to hang their hat on if they are going to have a chance sunday.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
Which they always do.  I will say I agree though, OSU is the  better team.

I don't mean just very good defense, I mean phenomenal. If they hold OSU to 65 or less, that's pretty darned good. I think to have a chance, they've got to hold OSU under 60 (or shoot very well, as I said earlier). I expect McBride and Augustine to have a rough game, meaning Dee and/or Randle is going to have to play very well (or I suppose Smith, but he usually doesn't get enough time to make a really big impact).

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
as of now, i would have to give osu a marked edge for many of the reasons you've mentioned. to add to that, over the course of the past few seasons illinois has not played particularly well at the schott. we know what happened last year and two years ago illinois needed a osu to miss a late shot to win a game against an osu team that was not very talented.

frankly, though, i have to hope osu falls in love with the 3 as they do sometimes. if there is any area where i have a lot of confidence in illinois it is in their perimeter defense. that's what they are going to have to hang their hat on if they are going to have a chance sunday.

I actually have a lot more confidence going into the game at OSU after the pathetic Penn State loss. I really think the team is gonna come out super fired up, more so than if they had beaten Penn State.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 02:47 AM)
I don't mean just very good defense, I mean phenomenal. If they hold OSU to 65 or less, that's pretty darned good. I think to have a chance, they've got to hold OSU under 60 (or shoot very well, as I said earlier). I expect McBride and Augustine to have a rough game, meaning Dee and/or Randle is going to have to play very well (or I suppose Smith, but he usually doesn't get enough time to make a really big impact).

dee will have to have a huge game. huge. very happy he's had a week to rest because his performance after a long period of rest is markedly better than when he is playing games grouped together.

that does not however bode well for the postseason.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)

What makes you expect a bad game from McBride? Just curious because he has been playing pretty solid.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
What makes you expect a bad game from McBride?  Just curious because he has been playing pretty solid.

OSU has enough athletic guards that they should be able to cover him a bit better to prevent the wide open 3's that he needs to thrive. OSU typically seems to have a lot more trouble with big guys that pound them inside. The 3-point shot hasn't really been a factor for the other team in any of their close games except Indiana early in the year (I guess Harris was pretty good tonight, but Horton was off, and Harris is better at creating his own shot and hitting the really deep 3's).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
Pitt holds off WVU with just unbelievable d.  Gansey and Pittsnogle could do nothing at all tonight.  Very impressive.

EDIT: By the way, Pittsnogle was 0-12 from the field and had 0 points.

I hope this shuts up the West Virginia in the Final Four talk for a while. They'll have trouble with athletic teams that can play at least some defense, especially if they have some size to go with it. It would not surprise me at all if they didn't make the Sweet 16.

They still have a few very tough games left, so I expect them to drop from the 2-3 seed range that people seem to be suggesting right now to the 5-6 range. I don't see them beating UConn or Georgetown, and although it's at home another game against Pitt doesn't help. It wouldn't really surprise me if they were the first real team that Louisville beats either.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
I hope this shuts up the West Virginia in the Final Four talk for a while. They'll have trouble with athletic teams that can play at least some defense, especially if they have some size to go with it. It would not surprise me at all if they didn't make the Sweet 16.

They still have a few very tough games left, so I expect them to drop from the 2-3 seed range that people seem to be suggesting right now to the 5-6 range. I don't see them beating UConn or Georgetown, and although it's at home another game against Pitt doesn't help. It wouldn't really surprise me if they were the first real team that Louisville beats either.

WVU is another team that can go down quickly or make it to the final four imo. They did manage to make it to the elite 8 and take louisville to ot(maybe double?) in that game just by shooting the hell out of the ball. If they get hot they just don't miss, and Mike Gansey is just unbelievable imo. Pitt shut them completely down tonight but we'll see the matchups come march.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)
OSU has enough athletic guards that they should be able to cover him a bit better to prevent the wide open 3's that he needs to thrive. OSU typically seems to have a lot more trouble with big guys that pound them inside. The 3-point shot hasn't really been a factor for the other team in any of their close games except Indiana early in the year (I guess Harris was pretty good tonight, but Horton was off, and Harris is better at creating his own shot and hitting the really deep 3's).

I agree with this that McBride will not be able to live at the 3 point line Sunday. Now if McBride plays like he has the last three games where he has added that 17 footer, he may still be able to have success... I hope.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)
WVU is another team that can go down quickly or make it to the final four imo.  They did manage to make it to the elite 8 and take louisville to ot(maybe double?) in that game just by shooting the hell out of the ball.  If they get hot they just don't miss, and Mike Gansey is just unbelievable imo.  Pitt shut them completely down tonight but we'll see the matchups come march.

The problem is that they were a deeper team last year. Salley and Fisher were solid players that gave them other scoring options and at least some post presence. Gansey and Pittsnoggle also had their coming out parties, which made them a lot better. Right now they only have two real scorers and no size. If you could limit the open 3's they probably aren't going to beat anyone good. Gansey and Pittsnoggle are their only guys that can really be counted on (and are also the only guys that could consistently hit 3's with a hand in their face), which will really hurt them in the tournament. If one of them fails to reach double figures, they're in real trouble against a lot of teams.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
The problem is that they were a deeper team last year. Salley and Fisher were solid players that gave them other scoring options and at least some post presence. Gansey and Pittsnoggle also had their coming out parties, which made them a lot better. Right now they only have two real scorers and no size. If you could limit the open 3's they probably aren't going to beat anyone good. Gansey and Pittsnoggle are their only guys that can really be counted on (and are also the only guys that could consistently hit 3's with a hand in their face), which will really hurt them in the tournament. If one of them fails to reach double figures, they're in real trouble against a lot of teams.

They've already beaten 3 pretty solid teams on the road(nova, ok, ucla). The thing about nova though is their tiny so what you said makes perfect sense. Herber can score as well if one of those two is having an off night. Look, I don't expect them to get to the final four but it wouldn't surprise me if they do shoot their way there. It all depends on the brackets, obviously.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 12:05 AM)
They've already beaten 3 pretty solid teams on the road(nova, ok, ucla).  The thing about nova though is their tiny so what you said makes perfect sense.  Herber can score as well if one of those two is having an off night.  Look, I don't expect them to get to the final four but it wouldn't surprise me if they do shoot their way there.  It all depends on the brackets, obviously.

As you said, all of those teams have flaws, and two of them are really good matchups for West Virginia. Villanova has no post presence so it was basically a little-guy shootout. That also might be the best offensive game they played all year. UCLA is another team that has virtually no post presence and depends very heavily on only two players. They're really not very good outside of Afflalo and Farmar, and the former shot very poorly in that game. Oklahoma actually has some size, but they're not very good defensively and have some serious problems with shooting and ballhandling.

I just think they'd have to get a really, really good draw in their bracket for them to make it to the Final Four. There are so many teams I can think of that they'd have some trouble with (like 4 just in their conference) that I don't see them doing it.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
I just think they'd have to get a really, really good draw in their bracket for them to make it to the Final Four. There are so many teams I can think of that they'd have some trouble with (like 4 just in their conference) that I don't see them doing it.

I'm with you here, just playing devils advocate cause there are some scenarios where I could see them getting there. They've beat gtown at home also this season for the record, though I think gtown is the much better team.