Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)
Painter's going to get that program turned around eventually.

And my roommate/manager said Davis was actually really sick.  He went out to his house, and he said he looked white.  I have no idea what to believe anymore.

Trust me, Davis isn't the type of person to go out and fake being sick to not be at a game. If he resigned tomorrow that would be another story/

I don't think thats the case and I think he'll be there the rest of the year (unless you see the team totally play without any effort the next couple games). But he's definately a lame-duck coach cause he's gone (unless they somehow shock everyone and make a HUGE tourney run). First they got to get back on track and pick up a few more wins to ensure they make the tourney.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Big Ten never ceases to amaze me.

I kind of expected Michigan to start circling the drain once Harris got hurt though. They just don't have enough options right now with Abram and Harris out. They could be really dangerous when/if those two get back, but until then it's going to be rough. Amaker must have really pissed off someone upstairs to have to deal with so many injuries the past two years.

The MSU loss completely blew me away though. I really didn't think that they were going to take a giant crap on the court to deal a serious hit to their chances though. I kind of thought they might close things out on a good run now.

No one wants to make anything clear for us in the conference. Iowa and the winner of tomorrow's game seem to have the inside track, but I made up a different list just last week. Who knows who'll fall victim to a conference bottom feeder before the season is over?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
Trust me, Davis isn't the type of person to go out and fake being sick to not be at a game.  If he resigned tomorrow that would be another story/

I don't think thats the case and I think he'll be there the rest of the year (unless you see the team totally play without any effort the next couple games).  But he's definately a lame-duck coach cause he's gone (unless they somehow shock everyone and make a HUGE tourney run).  First they got to get back on track and pick up a few more wins to ensure they make the tourney.

Yeah. As I've said earlier, Davis is a great guy. He's just not a motivator.

I just got to stop following the message board stuff. I was telling my roomy about all the rumors circulating, and they were all news to him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
Could have been him.  Be sorry you missed out on that tourney run cause Kato was a total beast.  Of course it wouldn't be ISU if they didn't eventually blow a big lead to UCLA and lose (so maybe it is good you don't remember it). 

At least you got Vroman in the NBA  :D

To be fair, the NCAA tourney in 2000 was a lot of fun.

Tough game against Central Connecticut State.

Nice win agains Auburn.

Complete skullf***ing of UCLA, getting them back.

Then the national champioship against MSU....there's a reason ISU still finished third in the polls.

So with the Bears win over UNI, there is now a real possibility the valley can get 5. We're going to have 5 in the top 35 in rpi for sure come tomorrow and maybe 5 in the top 30 depending on how far Missouri State jumps up. I believe in like the last 10 years, the highest rated rpi team to be left out is 34.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
It's not just at IU.  I'm sure Purdue fans aren't too damned happy with what is going on there. 

Rule basketball in Indiana and you rule the state.

Painter's going to make a difference, his recruiting last year showed that. I'm very glad they finally made a change and have full confidence in Painter. This year has been so frustrating with the injuries and personal issues. I'm looking forward to next year with everyone back (hopefully).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
So with the Bears win over UNI, there is now a real possibility the valley can get 5.  We're going to have 5 in the top 35 in rpi for sure come tomorrow and maybe 5 in the top 30 depending on how far Missouri State jumps up.  I believe in like the last 10 years, the highest rated rpi team to be left out is 34.

I'm rooting for the Valley to get 5 teams in. I think all of those teams are capable of beating one of the teams from the major conferences. Hell, they've already proven it since quite a few teams in the valley have wins over major conference teams like Iowa, Indiana and others.

I think one of my favorite things about college basketball is seeing the upsets in the tourney and seeing how far those cinderella's can go (well aside from watching my team play a game or two in the tourney; Hopefully).

Iowa was #9 in RPI this week. My guess is they will stay around that area despite a loss to NU (thanks to the road win against IU).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 01:40 AM)
I'm rooting for the Valley to get 5 teams in.  I think all of those teams are capable of beating one of the teams from the major conferences.  Hell, they've already proven it since quite a few teams in the valley have wins over major conference teams like Iowa, Indiana and others. 

I think one of my favorite things about college basketball is seeing the upsets in the tourney and seeing how far those cinderella's can go (well aside from watching my team play a game or two in the tourney; Hopefully). 

Iowa was #9 in RPI this week.  My guess is they will stay around that area despite a loss to NU (thanks to the road win against IU).

I think it'd be pretty damn sweet to get 5 in. After today, 4 is pretty close to a lock unless one team totally collapses. The teams in the valley just play good basketball, the top 4 are all where they are because they play outstanding defense. All 4 of those teams are capable of winning a game or two in the tourny imo. Missouri State can also win a game in the tourny if they get in.

EDIT: Also, espn had you guys at 10 in the rpi as of today(before the IU game).

Edited by Rowand44

I'd love to see Duke and Gonzaga play. I'd love to see Redick and Morrison light it up, going back and forth. Both of those guys just find ways to get the ball in the hole and are damned impressive in doing so.

Also, I know I will get fried for this, but I enjoyed Vitale tonight. He was much more subdued tonight than when he broadcasts an ACC or Big Ten game. He left a lot of his schtick at home and I thought he was good.

`

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
I'd love to see Duke and Gonzaga play.  I'd love to see Redick and Morrison light it up, going back and forth.  Both of those guys just find ways to get the ball in the hole and are damned impressive in doing so.

Also, I know I will get fried for this, but I enjoyed Vitale tonight.  He was much more subdued tonight than when he broadcasts an ACC or Big Ten game.  He left a lot of his schtick at home and I thought he was good.

`

Agreed. I think he gets too crazy when it comes to ACC games, but against the Zags it seemed like a different atmosphere for him and it left him a little less subdued and a whole lot more entertaining.

I also think it would be fun to see a Redick/Morrison match up. Of course I think Duke would win simply because they are more suited to play some defense.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
I can't see five Valley teams getting in.  There are too many games left plus the tournament.  At least one of those teams will weed themselves out.

The other thing the Valley will have to watch is the Big 10. If Michigan or IU keeps diving, both of them could find themselves on the outs (both teams were pretty much locks a week or so ago). Than you have Wiscy who may have found its stride. The Big 10 could get 1 or 2 less teams due to a late collapse opening things up.

Than again you have the Big 12 and Kansas stepping up and potentially a team like the Aggies and of course CU. So other teams will find a way in.

It was big that the Zags beat Stanford since Stanford right now is a team on the bubble (that said I expect them to finish strong and get in).

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 01:49 AM)
I can't see five Valley teams getting in.  There are too many games left plus the tournament.  At least one of those teams will weed themselves out.

The top 4 have basically become locks, though a total collapse by one of them could change that. Mo State still has some work to do but with their win tonight they atleast have a chance.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 01:53 AM)
The other thing the Valley will have to watch is the Big 10.  If Michigan or IU keeps diving, both of them could find themselves on the outs (both teams were pretty much locks a week or so ago).  Than you have Wiscy who may have found its stride.  The Big 10 could get 1 or 2 less teams due to a late collapse opening things up.

Than again you have the Big 12 and Kansas stepping up and potentially a team like the Aggies and of course CU.  So other teams will find a way in. 

It was big that the Zags beat Stanford since Stanford right now is a team on the bubble (that said I expect them to finish strong and get in).

I personally see one of Stanford/Cal getting in out of the pac 10 and being the 4th bid from that league.

EDIT: I should add that I think zona will do well enough to get themselves in, just because of that high sos and rpi.

Edited by Rowand44

Villanova's guards vs. UConn's....well everything. That is going to be ONE HELL of a ballgame.

Can't wait for tOSU and the Illini tomorrow, which is almost like a Big 10 Championship elimination game (although who knows now with the way the bottom 4 has been rising up).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Iowa state has always been a thuggy duggy team.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One minute Stinson was mocking Rush for his lack of physical strength, telling him to “stick to finesse.” The next he was promising to whip guard Russell Robinson the next time the two met on the blacktops of their native New York.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

“We shut them up,” Rush said of the Cyclones. “They lost. There isn’t any more they can say. It’s always fun to blow out a team that spends the whole game talking smack like that.”

About CJ's tech:

Quote:

No foul was called. But during the next dead ball, players from both teams began to push and shove one another, which resulted in a double technical foul called on KU’s C.J. Giles and Iowa State’s Shawn Taggart. The Jayhawks chuckled when asked about the fracas after the game.

“C.J. … I don’t know about him,” Rush said. “His mind is … I don’t know. He’s trigger happy. He has to jump on everything. That’s how C.J. is. I just grabbed him and said, ‘It ain’t worth it.’ I’m more laid back and chill. I’ve never been in a fight in my whole life.”

A physical game is not you," Stinson told the Kansas freshman. "Stick with finesse."

No argument from Rush.

"I'm a lover, not a fighter," he said. "Stinson has a big mouth."

Quote:

"It feels real good to win when someone is talking smack," Rush said. "I don't know why they keep talking when they're losing."

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 02:49 AM)

The way I see it right now, Missouri State has to make its hay right now if they want a shot, and they pretty much have to win the tournament which is no easy feat, but could be done. If Mo. St wins the tournament, I see Creighton, WSU or SIU getting a NIT bid(which I dont want to happen). I think 5 is a great goal to shoot for, but you cant jump from 3 in the tourney to 5 in one year without some serious resume' builders, and I wonder if all 5 teams would meet the criteria that the committee desires. RPI is a big part of it, but almost equal is notoriety and conference notoriety.

That being said, Go Valley and more importantly, GO SIU! :D

For the record, it sickens me that there is talk of 5 Valley teams possibly getting into the NCAA Tournament and Evansville is not even in the same stratosphere as those teams.

It's sad to see a very strong and historied program so far down.

I think Coach Merfield has found that basketball in Indiana is not like Hampton. Evansville is a very difficult place to win at as a coach, but it has been proven it can be done.