Biggio's Wife Hit

DBAHO

And Ozzie's not happy;

Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen issued a public apology on behalf of his organization to Astros second baseman Craig Biggio, whose wife was slapped by a fan in the stands at U.S. Cellular Field.

"I feel like it's our fault, and I talked to (Biggio) about it, and he knows we're sorry," Guillen said. "He knows it was something we couldn't control. It wasn't like a fight. (The fan) hit the lady and left."

The incident occurred on Sunday night during Game 2 of the 101st World Series at Chicago's ballpark, where several members of the Astros' traveling party were harassed.

"He slapped her and ran," Biggio said of the fan who struck his wife, Patty. "She ran after him. My brother-in-law ended up putting him against the wall. That's pretty sorry."

Asked if Patty had been hurt, Biggio said his New Jersey-raised wife held her own.

"You don't slap a New Jersey girl and get away with it," he said. "That happens sometimes. It's terrible. It's over."

Added Guillen: "I wish she would have grabbed something and broken his head. If that happened to my family, it would have been a big problem. ... People should just go to the game and not bother people next to you, or you're not a White Sox fan or a baseball fan. Just enjoy the game. Drink if you want to drink; just respect the people next to you."

No criminal complaint was made against the fan, according to Chicago police.

Chicago defended

Biggio, manager Phil Garner, general manager Tim Purpura, catcher Brad Ausmus and several of the Astros were adamant that a few cowardly acts weren't indicative of the White Sox or Chicago fan base.

"The word was that the guy had been gouging her a little bit, pulling her hair and just doing some stupid things, things that are just not necessary," Garner said. "Have your fun. This (World Series) is a great thing for them and a great thing for us. Cheer and be as loud as you want to be and whatever else, but don't do that.

"I can't imagine Patty Biggio ever saying anything that would incite anything, either. I just can't imagine that. Even if she had, there's no excuse."

Despite the incident, Garner said he heard the Astros' traveling party had mostly positive experiences with the fans.

Nonetheless, Guillen did not hide his disgust at the treatment Patty Biggio received.

"On behalf of the White Sox organization, I just don't think we could control that," Guillen said. "But I think the family is a big part of my life. I think especially the kids. And when that happened in the ballpark, you feel you need to be supportive.

"When you're a man and you hit a lady, no matter whose wife it is or whose sister it is, you respect them. But it's something that's tough to control. It happened so quick."

More harassment

Although Patty Biggio was the only Astros wife who was slapped Sunday, she wasn't the only member of the traveling party who was harassed. Ausmus said his wife, Liz, endured some vulgar taunts and a few vulgar hand gestures throughout the night.

"Some of the treatment that the Astros families received at U.S. Cellular Field was a huge black eye for the city of Chicago," Ausmus said. "Now, I understand that's not indicative of all the people in the Chicago area, because I have friends and relatives there.

"I know the people of Chicago are overwhelmingly good people. But if I was from Chicago, I'd be embarrassed by the way the Astros' families were treated by the White Sox fans. My wife didn't get hit or anything, but people flipped her off and were screaming at her."

The attendance at U.S. Cellular Field was announced as 41,432 for Game 2, and the crowd was obviously overwhelmingly in support of the White Sox. With that in mind, Ausmus said there was little the Astros' family members could do in response. "You don't want to get caught in a situation where you're inflaming the masses," Ausmus said. "So I think as an Astros fan at a visiting park, you pretty much have to swallow it."

'Bring him to me'

Maybe so, but Guillen insinuated that he would have definitely defended anybody in the Astros' traveling party.

"I know the security in Chicago is doing a great job," Guillen said. "And when something happens so quick, you can't blame anybody. And the guy that did it, he should be brought to Biggio, and he's the one that can hopefully get him back.

"I told the police, 'Don't put him in jail. Bring him to me in the dugout.' But hopefully, that won't happen again."

Shortstop Adam Everett heard a little bit about the incident, but he knew more than enough to form his opinion.

"That's real weak," he said. "That's bad. I don't care where you're at, to hit a woman is not good."

I'm not happy either. People like this are what give Sox fans in general a bad name.

Just what we needed, we are in the World Series and this jackass has to go and do something like this...as if being in the series isn't enough.

Now we get to hear from Cub/Astro/Every other fan in baseball how crappy our stadium is and how we are all criminals.

Congratulations ass, if we end up winning the world series, this is what they'll be talking about.

MotherF#$!#R, loser...I want a kick this guys ass.

Unbelievable.

What a f***ing piece of s*** that jackoff is.

The Astros should be credited for handling the situation with class.

I wish they'd have found the spineless f***head and made him accountable for his actions.

From the story I read in the Sun-Times this morning, it sounded like they nabbed the wrong guy for questioning.

I join Ozzie in apologizing on behalf of myself, and probably a lot of other Soxtalk members. This loser makes us all look bad. People that know me know that I have a lot of rage, but even I wouldn't hit a woman. I may yell things at people, but I would not hit someone. That being said, bring this guy to me, and I'll shatter his face. :chair

Man, I just can't imagine this. I couldn't imagine someone pulling a lady's hair and I can't imagine who the hell just slaps a lady like that. I read in the sun times today She "feels the whole thing got blown out of proportion,''

Could this have been a guy clapping right by her and rubbing it in and his hand hit her or something??

I can't see someone slapping my wife in the head and her saying "it's blown out of proportion" unless she knew it was unintentional.

The article goes on with this crap

Back in Houston, where Patty Biggio is active in local charities, news of the attack infuriated Astros fans who vented on the team's Web blog, some citing past violence at the Cell, including a 2002 incident where a fan attacked a coach and a fan assault on an umpire in 2003.

"I hate to say it but it seems to be a theme for that stadium,'' wrote one fan. Said another, "I just don't see ANY Astros fan pulling that kind of stunt. A lot more class than that down [here].''

"White Sox fans are lower class of people,'' said one blogger. "Seriously. The fact of the matter is [u.S. Cellular Field] is not a safe place to bring your family to see a ballgame.''

Now I went to Houstons board yesterday to see what they were saying and with the exception of the "class" comment the others were all made by a user named "cubfan"

Don't you think that should have been noted? Something like "A despondent cub fan wasn't going to miss this opportunity to take a shot saying blah blah blah"

Either that or take it for what it is and not include it in the article. But no...there it is...A cub fan saying we are a lower class of people and the park is not a safe place to bring your family. Now if it's noted who made the post, a lot of people will consider the source, but since it isn't a lot will believe it. Sad.

By the way, I'm not defending the fan here. Clearly he was an obnoxious asshole and probably deserved to be put to the wall or whatever, but if this wasn't intentional slapping and pulling hair that should at least be noted.

I think this could be a time we could really use Brooks Boyer to organize a fan response we all could take part in. Anyone got ideas? Could he perhaps make a petition of apology available at the United Center that all could sign and have sent to Texas? When Biggio comes up, could he suggest that the fans at the UC give him a standing ovation and make sure it gets on the news here and in Houston? I don't know, I just want us all to respond in masse. I know the average true fan is not "guilty" but I just think we need to let everyone know how disgusted we are and how much we truly regret what happened.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 07:19 AM)
I think this could be a time we could really use Brooks Boyer to organize a fan response we all could take part in.  Anyone got ideas?  Could he perhaps make a petition of apology available at the United Center that all could sign and have sent to Texas?  When Biggio comes up, could he suggest that the fans at the UC give him a standing ovation and make sure it gets on the news here and in Houston?  I don't know, I just want us all to respond in masse.  I know the average true fan is not "guilty" but I just think we need to let everyone know how disgusted we are and how much we truly regret what happened.

SFF

Send that idea to Brooks ASAP.

bboyer@chisox.com I believe. We need a giant online petition or something saying sorry to Craig and Patty Biggio and the Astros organization.

I want a petition to ban this idiot from all future games at US Cellular, along with a public apology to the Biggio's. Then, I want him to stand there while every single Sox fan (along with ever single Astros fan), gets to walk by, pull this jagoffs hair and slap him in the back of the head.

:stick to that guy.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 07:32 AM)

bboyer@chisox.com I believe. We need a giant online petition or something saying sorry to Craig and Patty Biggio and the Astros organization.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
Man, I just can't imagine this.  I couldn't imagine someone pulling a lady's hair and I can't imagine who the hell just slaps a lady like that.  I read in the sun times today  She "feels the whole thing got blown out of proportion,''

Could this have been a guy clapping right by her and rubbing it in and his hand hit her or something?? 

I can't see someone slapping my wife in the head and her saying "it's blown out of proportion" unless she knew it was unintentional.

The article goes on with this crap

Now I went to Houstons board yesterday to see what they were saying and with the exception of the "class" comment the others were all made by a user named "cubfan"

Don't you think that should have been noted?  Something like "A despondent cub fan wasn't going to miss this opportunity to take a shot saying blah blah blah"

Either that or take it for what it is and not include it in the article.  But no...there it is...A cub fan saying we are a lower class of people and the park is not a safe place to bring your family.  Now if it's noted who made the post, a lot of people will consider the source, but since it isn't a lot will believe it.  Sad.

By the way, I'm not defending the fan here.  Clearly he was an obnoxious asshole and probably deserved to be put to the wall or whatever, but if this wasn't intentional slapping and pulling hair that should at least be noted.

yeah, its worth noting...but it's kind of an unproven conspiracy. theres always the possibility that the dude is really a 'stros fan who calls himself that. a newspaper cant really report that its a cubs conspiracy, but thats why blogs and forums are way better. for example, that bastard dan rather would still be making up news today if it werent for blogs. no other news was going to report that he was lying.

just the way the world works, i guess.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)

Done and sent:

Mr. Boyer,

I am writing to you on behalf of White Sox fans everywhere who are truly outraged, disappointed, and sorry for the incident where an unruly "fan" slapped Craig Biggio's wife at game 2 of the series.  Each fan, like myself, regrets the situation and wants the Biggios, the Astros, and Houston fans to understand that.  However, the only effective way to accomplish that would be to act in mass, and you are the one person I imagine that could possibly spearhead an effort.  On Soxtalk.com, I suggested organizing something at the United Center, whether it be a petition or a taped standing ovation during Biggio's first at bat.

Mr. Boyer, you have been instrumental in building a positive image for our White Sox and I think this is a this is a situation, fairly or not,  where the image of our team, fans, and city are called into question.  We are better then the "fan" who assaulted Ms. Biggio.  I appeal to you to give us fans an opportunity to do the team and city proud by showing Houston the kind of people we truly are.

I appreciate your time in reading this; I know you must be very busy.  My deepest thanks for all you have done for us and as always: GO SOX!

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
Done and sent:

We don't even know what happened. The only information from one of the people involved(his wife) is "The whole thing got blown out of proportion"

Maybe we should have Brooks collect a dollar from everyone and send her a few dozen roses for our terrible fans or even better we can hold a benefit on her behalf. Maybe the Sox can sponsor a workshop on fan behavior. Then everyone will know what really swell fans we are.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
Maybe we should have Brooks collect a dollar from everyone and send her a few dozen roses for our terrible fans or even better we can hold a benefit on her behalf.  Maybe the Sox can sponsor a workshop on fan behavior.  Then everyone will know what really swell fans we are.

Or donate to her charity work--sounds like she does a lot.

I have to admit I laughed out loud at the line about how you don't hit a Jersey girl and get away with it. It's true.

And good letter SFF.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
Considering how many tickets went to connected people (either through MLB, politicians, FOX, etc), what are the chances he wasn't a Sox fan at all?

I am glad he is banned.

I don't care if Osama snuck in and whacked her. It happened in our house and to our guests. We have to take the high road and express our regret for their experience.

SFF

Not sure what good it does, but I feel like I should also express my regret and embarrassment here. My sincerest apologies to the Astros organization for whatever B.S. they had to put up with. I have no doubt that 99% of the people in the stadium have more class than to even think about doing something that stupid.

But then, that's the problem, in any venue. I see a**holes at pretty much every venue I've been to, screaming obscenities, starting fights, and just generally being morons. The 'stros manager even said that this happens on occasion. After the thing with the KC coach being attacked, every incident here gets highlighted, so anything like this will be magnified. It makes us look terrible.

Bring the scrapper to me.

:angry:

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
Or donate to her charity work--sounds like she does a lot.

I have to admit I laughed out loud at the line about how you don't hit a Jersey girl and get away with it. It's true.

And good letter SFF.

Thx for the compliment. I'm liking the charity idea. The proceeds from the United Center go to Sox charities anyway, don't they? How about taking a dollar from each admission and donate it to hers?

SFF

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
Do you have an address for the Houston site, by chance?

Yeah, I just went to the mlb one looking to see what they were saying about the dye thing and saw that stuff. I don't have an id or anything but you can still read.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/components/fan_foru...ard.html?astros