So, did anyone place any pre-season wagers?

NorthSideSox72

I thought this would be a good time to see what wagers, if any, people placed before (or even during) the season in regards to the Sox' fortunes.

I put $20 on the Sox in Vegas in February to win the WS. I got 30-1 at that time. Thought it was a long shot, but what the heck? Still have the ticket, stuck to the fridge! :D

Anyone else standing to gain or lose? Any unique or non-monetary wagers? Bets with friends who are Cub fans?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
I thought this would be a good time to see what wagers, if any, people placed before (or even during) the season in regards to the Sox' fortunes.

I put $20 on the Sox in Vegas in February to win the WS.  I got 30-1 at that time.  Thought it was a long shot, but what the heck?  Still have the ticket, stuck to the fridge!  :D

Anyone else standing to gain or lose?  Any unique or non-monetary wagers?  Bets with friends who are Cub fans?

I have a standing bet with a friend...whoever has the best record gets $10. I think she should give me another $10 if we win the WS.

i was thinking about cashing out all my savings and bonds and stocks.... at 30:1 i would be around 900,000 net worth if i had done it

however, i only decided to buy a van which was partially responcable for allowing the experience of getting a dui

wrong decession

i almost got the folks to sell their 300,000 dollar house and put that all on the sox.... 30 times 300,000 DAMN (9 million)

rule #2 never post you won until you win.

since you are set to win $600 i would place a $50 bet and roll it over every night just in case they blow it now that you posted the jinxer. if it happens you will be 1k richer. a little emotional insurance never hurts. i am going to do that right now myself.

one time i had my shoes on and was walking out the door. it took that long to be humbled.

I bet a Cub fan friend of mine every year $10 a game for final record. I made $200. He bet me double or nothing for the ALDS. That's up to $400. He bet me double or nothing for the ALCS, now $800. Its the final double or nothing for the WS. One more White Sox victory, and I am not only a season ticketholder of the world champions, but I'll also be $1600 richer.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
one time i had my shoes on and was walking out the door.  it took that long to be humbled.

Not sure I get this line. Explanation?

No worries on the jinxer for me. A) I didn't say I'd won, I said STAND TO win, and B) I don't believe in curses or jinxes. They will win or not win. I think they are likely to win. I certainly hope they do!

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
:crying I put 10,000 on the Astros!

um is that pesos, yuan, kroner or rubis SIR? at least we now know why the sox are going to win the WS. that is sure nice of you & i to take the sox to the WS. i bet on cleveland to win the division when we were azillion games up. took boston for the series. and then bet on ana for the series after they won the first game. i didnt touch the WS. you did it for me. OMG! harsh.

:angry:

Went to Vegas in March during March Madness weekend. I was betting like a madman during those games. Then I went to the sports book to look at the baseball odds. Was this/close to dropping $100 on the Sox. Then I thought to myself, "C'mon these are the Sox" :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
Not sure I get this line.  Explanation?

No worries on the jinxer for me.  A) I didn't say I'd won, I said STAND TO win, and B) I don't believe in curses or jinxes.  They will win or not win.  I think they are likely to win.  I certainly hope they do!

well sitting on the couch...the money was in the bag...i had to go somewhere but had to watch just a little longer to make sure the money was in the bag...i got up because it was a sure thing...i put on my shoes...it was an interception return for a TD....i stood by the door....kickoff return fumbled and ran in for a TD....that did it for me...lesson learned.

My Grades in Life:

animals A+

women & travel A+

money F-

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
I already won.

Northside, my advice.. don't take his advice.

I had no bets on them. A guy I now has 1 grand on them, seen the ticket.

To make it worse he's not even a sox fan, he won some cash on a horse race while in vegas and he bet both the cubs and the sox to win it.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
:angry:

Went to Vegas in March during March Madness weekend.  I was betting like a madman during those games.  Then I went to the sports book to look at the baseball odds.  Was this/close to dropping $100 on the Sox.  Then I thought to myself, "C'mon these are the Sox"    :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

I was going to do the same thing (with less money) but my non-Sox friend said he would take the bet, I never gave him the money but he agreed early in the season to take me out to dinner if they won. To add insult to his injury he is an Astros fan.

Also a month after the season started I placed $25 for the AL at 9-1 (cashed in $225) and $25 for the WS at 16-1 (makes $400).

I'm feelin pretty good right now.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
I bet a Cub fan friend of mine every year $10 a game for final record. I made $200. He bet me double or nothing for the ALDS. That's up to $400. He bet me double or nothing for the ALCS, now $800. Its the final double or nothing for the WS. One more White Sox victory, and I am not only a season ticketholder of the world champions, but I'll also be $1600 richer.

THAT guy is an idiot.

Talk about letting your heart kick your ass...