Rumor: AL Playoff OF tests positive for steroids

DonkeyKongerko

You can tell a story for almost every one of those guys. The players' reactions are meaningless -- the guy's not going to look like a murderer in a silent film just because he roided.

The only part that worries me is that Carroll says that this is a name we'll care about. People will care about Sheffield, or Vlad, or whoever, sure. Even a minor player, lots of people will care. (Look how many people remember Alex Sanchez, for crissake.) But people would really care if it's the World Series winner. It's hard not to wonder if that's how he means it.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
Until there is an actual name and a suspension, this thread is worthless.

I still can remember around the All-Star break when every insider was 100% certain that 2 MLB players were going to be caught for steriods.

Not one player was caught.

SB

I said that in like the 4th post of this thread.

The response everyone is giving is that the source for this rumor seems to be someone in MLB who might actually have some real knowledge, as opposed to the last one, which just seemed to be filtering randomly between unnamed sources on message boards, where everyone heard it from someone they trusted.

But yeah, I'm with you...I'll believe it when I see it. I've got my suspicions about a bunch of people (Finley, Sheff, Damon, etc.), but until it comes out, it's nothing more than a rumor fed to 1 person.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
I dont think its Pods.

He's had good numbers in the post-season due to his plate discipline.  Sure, he hit that HR off of Lidge, but if you are sitting on a 95+ MPH fastball, its going to go far.

HR numbers really have nothing to do with this. Alex Sanchez has 6 career HRs yet he was suspended for steroid use. You can use roids for many different purposes, not necessarily just for power.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
Steroids can make you faster, too.

Still...if steroids help you "recover" from injuries, then wouldn't the fact that Pods seemed hurt on the basepaths for well over 2 months be evidence against any potential use?

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
I doubt its Vladdy.. he hit, what, 1 ball out of the infield in the ALCS?

If you're going to judge based on % of balls hit out of the infied, Geoff Blum should be right at the top of the list.

It's dumb to say, oh player X had a bad 10 game stretch. Therefore, he must be off the juice.

What player didn't have a bad 10 game stretch during the regular season?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
If you're going to judge based on % of balls hit out of the infied, Geoff Blum should be right at the top of the list.

It's dumb to say, oh player X had a bad 10 game stretch. Therefore, he must be off the juice.

What player didn't have a bad 10 game stretch during the regular season?

good point :o

My problem is it, wouldnt we know about the player testing positive before the player appealed? Wouldnt they say something like "blah blah tested positive for steroids. its being appealed"

At least, isnt that what happened with the Palmeiro situation, or am I off (quite possible)?

If we're judging by players trying to recover after injuries, you never know if Pods might have done the juice to try and recover after his slow start back off the DL. Again, in no way am I saying this is a fact, but I highly, highly doubt that Vlad is the person we're talking about in relation to injury.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
My problem is it, wouldnt we know about the player testing positive before the player appealed?  Wouldnt they say something like "blah blah tested positive for steroids.  its being appealed"

At least, isnt that what happened with the Palmeiro situation, or am I off (quite possible)?

I do find it hard to believe an agent would say something prior to the appeal. No matter who it is, Selig was going to wait a while to announce it. No way we're going to hear something until a few weeks after the WS if it's true.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
I do find it hard to believe an agent would say something prior to the appeal.  No matter who it is, Selig was going to wait a while to announce it.  No way we're going to hear something until a few weeks after the WS if it's true.

Fathom, here's a question: If the agent of this player admitted his player got caught with roids how the f*** did this not leak, we don't even know what agent said this?? These things get leaked so easily and now this agent makes a statement and we got nothing? Seems kind of weird to me.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
Fathom, here's a question:  If the agent of this player admitted his player got caught with roids how the f*** did this not leak, we don't even know what agent said this??  These things get leaked so easily and now this agent makes a statement and we got nothing?  Seems kind of weird to me.

I find it very hard to think that an agent let this leak, especially for a Sox player who would have still been playing. Do I think the rumor is accurate? Absolutely, or else Carroll looks like a f***ing liar about the appeals process.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
If someone leaked something though, wouldnt they have leaked the name along with the story?

Wouldnt leaking the name be a bigger story than just leaking the fact that someone uses roids?

I just read that the guy took a phone call during the appeals process to get his knowledge about the use of a certain performance enhancer.

Explain how you can be libelous with facts.

If some one was caught, and then part of the appeal process, you can not be libelous.

Not to mention each of these players are public figures, so they would have to prove malice.

Malice in terms of libel and defamation, means with actual knowledge. IE They would have to know for a fact that this player absolutely never did roids, and if the prosecution could not prove that the case would be won by the defense.

How do you think tabloids work?

The reason he didnt leak a name is because hed be fired. Im suprised he could leak this much and not be fired.

SB

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
Isn't it possible that the appeal was successful? Is it a given that the appeal failed?

No, it's not a given, but it's almost impossible to appeal such a ruling successfully. I guarantee whoever it is will have a tremendous alibi.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
I find it very hard to think that an agent let this leak, especially for a Sox player who would have still been playing.  Do I think the rumor is accurate?  Absolutely, or else Carroll looks like a f***ing liar about the appeals process.

Which is what leads me to believe some random internet "source" made this garbage up and just used Carroll's name to make people think, "hey, this guy must be telling the truth."

Of course, I'm already drunk and that could be the reason I think this way.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 01:18 AM)
Which is what leads me to believe some random internet "source" made this garbage up and just used Carroll's name to make people think, "hey, this guy must be telling the truth."

Of course, I'm already drunk and that could be the reason I think this way.

It's 100 pct legit that he commented about it on the radio. Don't forget the blurb in the Sports Weekly. The main thing that sucks about this is that it takes away a LITTLE bit of what should be the ultimate enjoyment right now.