Soxtalker strikes back at East Coast ignorance

GasHeGone

For four years, I've dealt with the obnoxiousness known as Yanks-Red Sox at Georgetown University in Washington DC. Despite the Pale Hose victory this fall, the jagbag who wrote the article below really tickled my pickle. He proved that any stroke can write for a collegiate publication. His article...

http://www.thehoya.com/sports/102805/sports9.cfm

And my response...

http://www.thehoya.com/viewpoint/110105/view3.cfm

I think I tore this guy a new one.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Eh.. do we really need to INVITE childish bulls*** here..  :lol:

oh wow, the door is WIDE OPEN...

We let you here, don't we? :ph34r:

:lol:

I had to. That was a hanging curveball.

Nice reply. I think Fumelli's days as a respected columnist in the vaunted HoyaNews have come to an end. The sad part is...instead of getting to enjoy the WS championship, we are left to debate some pencil-toting geek at a school newspaper. Screw all of them...again nice work, Marty.

QUOTE(GasHeGone @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
in the article he also mentions the yankees diamondbacks series of 2003...this kid sucks

he also mentioned:

The Yankees wouldn’t have won the 2005 ALCS had Pedro Martinez been removed from the mound when he was tired"

which, of couse, didn't happen in 2005, but 2003.

Edited by smalls2598

First, get the facts right: Yankees-DBacks was 01, and Yanks-Sawx ALCS was 04. What sloppy journalism :headshake

The worst part is he decries the playoffs as not rewarding the most "deserving" team. Who has ever seen a team play better front-to-back (both hitting and pitching-wise) posteason performance than the Sox did? Nearly everyone made critical plays at critical times. In team sports, I can think of no better substantiation of a "most-deserving" label than the collective success of (in this case) 25 guys. Of course certain individuals are going to step to the fore and deliver out-of-this-world performances - like the 4 straight CG's in LA - but still the rest of the team played exceptionally to compliment these magnificent performances.

Examine however:

Overanalyzing the postseason is no mortal sin, but it becomes a crime when its puts the job security of baseball’s best minds on the chopping block for purely random occurrences.

What a complete asshole. Obviously the Red Sox had no hand in the creation of the shallowest pitching staff in baseball. Nor was it anyone on the Yankees staff fault that none of their pitchers stayed healthy.

This guy is even worse than the guys at ESPN, who all year doubted the Sox. At least now that they have been shown to be wrong, they are complimentary and have marvelled at the Sox excellence in the post-season. This dumbass is an after-the-fact apologist who rather than admitting what really happened needs to make the excuse of "random events" essentially handing the Sox the AL and the Astros the NL...

Good reply Marty, this guy needed to be taken to task. Who in the hell made this guy an editor? :puke

Nicely worded response.

You could have spiced up that "couple of good pitchers" retort by noting that the Sox ERA against LAA was 1.87 (?). As I've said to those who have noted the Sox "lucky breaks" from umpires during that series, there ain't no way you're going to beat that kind of ERA.