Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
Jesus finally, I thought I was taking crazy pills.

If your posts had said this, it might have been clear what you were getting at. :huh

I have heard some of the press about Gload complaining for more time. That's the X factor. But I got the impression it was an isolated tantrum from a competitive player who wanted a shot.

If he turns out to be an attitude problem, then take my idea and put it in the cylindrical file cabinet. No need to put a cancer in the clubhouse. I just didn't get that impression.

Some people forget how bad our offense was during the season. I know they performed great during the post-season... but in the regular season especially the first half our offense was weak as hell.... now someone is suggesting we replaced Gload/Rogo with konerko.....

All I can tell you is go look at the twins this season because thats what we would be next season. Great pitching and no offense.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
Some people forget how bad our offense was during the season.  I know they performed great during the post-season... but in the regular season especially the first half our offense was weak as hell.... now someone is suggesting we replaced Gload/Rogo with konerko.....

All I can tell you is go look at the twins this season because thats what we would be next season.  Great pitching and no offense.

Just because we might be forced to downgrade offensively at first doesn't mean we can't upgrade offensively at DH.

Didn't read the last four pages but there is something I want to be very clear on with Delgado. His deal is backloaded and the Marlins lost 20 million or more this year. He is goign to be a casualty of that situation. The biggest suitor for him will be the Mets who they don't want to trade him for. A big IF here, IF you agree to pay the remainder of the salary for Delgado, you will not have to give up a ton. The aformentioned deal would likely get it done. If a suitor waffles on money, the prospects will have to be megaprospects. The bottom line is that if you will pay the next 37 million or so over three years, you will get Delgado for less than he is worth. With Thome and Sweeney as options and Kong as a FA, that lessens the demand for all of them a littl e bit and lowers the price (for trades)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
That doesnt warrant the mention of Ross Gload, the black sheep of the White Sox organization.

Seriously, I'm still waiting to hear exactly what it was he said that turned this whole organization against him. The only thing I remember hearing was him b****ing after he made that error in a game against K.C. when he said "I only play every x days, I've got to make that play." or something to that effect.

No way will a team give PK both a 7 yr deal AND a no-trade clause. The sox would be the one team to probably offer him a no-trade clause. IMO, the sox would be in good shape offering a 5 yr deal w/ a no-trade clause.

I'd be interested to see if Vlad got a no-trade clause in his deal with LAA. If Vlad doesn't have one, Pk sure wouldn't get one.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Delgado makes a lot more than $37 mil over the next 3.  It's closer to $45 mil, plus a $4 mil (or something like that) buyout for the 4th year.  I think it can get guaranteed at $16 mil -- can't recall how, maybe plate appearances.

Carlos Delgado: signed 4-year deal worth 52M thru the 2008 season on 1/25/05- he will make 4M in 2005, 13.5M in 2006, 14.4M in 2007 and 16M in 2008- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2009 worth 12M or a 4M buyout- + the option can become guaranteed at 16M based on MVP voting finishes and post-season MVP award wins if he accumulates 30 points in the next 4 years based on the following system: 10pts. for winning the NL MVP award and 9 for finishing second and so on under a formula that gives him 1 point for finishing 10th and he would get 20 pts. if he's the WS MVP and 10 if he's the LCS MVP- + his salaries will be paid half during the course of the season and the other half on each November 30th- + he can earn bonuses: 50K for All-Star selection; 500K for WS MVP; 100K for LCS MVP; 25K for Silver Slugger and 25K for Gold Glove; 100K for NL MVP and 50K for finishing 2nd in NL MVP voting (would receive the 50K only if he finishes second to Barry Bonds)- + no money is deferred and the deal does not includes a No-Trade clause- + if he is traded to a state with income taxes and/or a city with local taxes, the team must make up the difference in state/local taxes Agent: David Sloane Service Time: 10.002

I looove MLB4U!

So basically, it's 3 years at about $44, with a 12 option/4 buyout in 2009 unless he kicks some serious ass. If the Marlins eat any of that ($8 mil would be nice), it works fairly well I think.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Giles is not coming to the sox and will not leave the west coast in all likelyhood.

Huff is on a drastic three year decline in his prime...?

Thome will be traded but it is such a huge risk. It will be huge in terms of the prospect (s) we give up for him... not so much the money.

Teixiera is simply not realistic.

Dunn does not suck suck... but i can see where people are coming fromw hen they say they do not want him.

Overbay is overated on this board immensely... rather annoying actually.

I know the diamonbacks have a log jam at first and third but tracy is far and away their best hitter for the money. I see them trying to trade basically everyone and anyone else on that team before him.

Delgado will not be traded imo. How many players that sign long term deals are traded after their first full season with a team? That is gonna be an awfully short list. They are not in as big of a bine that it is made out to be so i don't think it is needed for him to be moved.

I really doubt that Konerko gets that kind of deal, I think the Mets were the only team that would give Beltran 7 years and he is much younger. Probably unpopular for most Sox fans, but I'd rather trade for Overbay than sign Konerko.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
Delgado will not be traded imo. How many players that sign long term deals are traded after their first full season with a team? That is gonna be an awfully short list. They are not in as big of a bine that it is made out to be so i don't think it is needed for him to be moved.

When I look at that contract, it really strikes me as the kind of contract you'd sign a guy to if you were hoping to make a run at a title for 1 more season (say, before your starting pitching started hitting the FA Market), and if you didn't make it, you would consider yourself set up to trade him.

Why else would they have pushed for such a low first year cost?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
No way will a team give PK both a 7 yr deal AND a no-trade clause. The sox would be the one team to probably offer him a no-trade clause. IMO, the sox would be in good shape offering  a 5 yr deal w/ a no-trade clause.

I'd be interested to see if Vlad got a no-trade clause in his deal with LAA. If Vlad doesn't have one, Pk sure wouldn't get one.

The sox will definitely not offer konerko a trade clause either will the red sox. If the red sox signed konerko with a no trade clause other players on the red sox will get full and partial no trade clauses... it is already in some contracts that it kicks in. Red sox are out of the hunt for konerko and were never players for him in my opnion anyway.