Jarhead?

BurlyMan56

"Mr. Swofford's book has earned a place alongside the classics of military literature, but Mr. Mendes's film is more like a footnote - a minor movie about a minor war, and a film that feels, at the moment, remarkably irrelevant."

-A. O. Scott, The New York Times

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2005/11/04/movi...4jarh.html?8dpc

On the other hand, Roger Ebert rated it highly.

This link is always useful for finding a number of reviews from the popular press:

Movie Review Query Engine

Remember that episode of Seinfield where George and Jerry attempt to sell NBC their pilot for a show about nothing? Well, this movie follows a similar route. More than a film which showcases battle scenes, Jarhead highlights the anticipation of Marines awaiting war. If you're intending to view this movie with Full Metal Jacket, or even Three Kings in mind, you'll be sorely dissapointed.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
I want to see it.

Is there a book that it's based on at all? I read Black Hawk Down about a year before it came out. Do yourself a favor and read the book.

yes and i read it. It is a great book and it really takes you into the shoes of a guy in the army. Not only does it talk about the fighting but it focuses on what they did when they were just hanging out. Some of that stuff is funny as hell. I also read Black Hawk Down but after I saw the movie. That might be one of the most gruesome movies i have ever seen. Great movie though.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
I want to see it.

Is there a book that it's based on at all? I read Black Hawk Down about a year before it came out. Do yourself a favor and read the book.

Fun "Black Hawk Down" aside. One of the soldiers that was actually involved is actually in military jail for being a child molester. When they made the movie, they changed the name of the soldier so as to not acknowledge this little black eye.