Ozzie wants a new #2 hitter

beck72

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...&hand=a&pos=all

It's not inconceivable for the White Sox to spend the $$$ in acquiring a speedy SS & moving Uribe to 3B.  But it's pretty obvious that such a move would say goodbye to Kong & possibly Crede.

Why move a GG SS just to get a fast guy on the field? It makes no sense, Uribe has proven that he is an elite fielder at that position, not many can touch him.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
Why move a GG SS just to get a fast guy on the field?  It makes no sense, Uribe has proven that he is an elite fielder at that position, not many can touch him.

you are right on with this, Rock. Uribe is such a good SS it almost doesn't even matter if he ever gets a hit again. Our overall team defense was a part of the reason the pitching staff did so well. This is the best all-around defensive team we have ever had, IMO.

The little things got it done for us this year, lets not trade them all for 1 big thing.

I also am coming around to your thinking that we will possibly have a youngster from our own system starting for us in '06. And who it is might just be determined by how they perform in the spring.

If anyone is moved to make room for a rookie, it would make sense that it would be one of the outfielders, not one of the premier defensive infielders on the left side.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
Uh oh.  Here we go again.  :ph34r:  (takes cover, waits for Rock's volley)

Furcal is a better player overall, is he a good fit, no. He is probably the best player on the FA market, and will get a Renteria contract. Which player would YOU rather have, a young developing SS who hit over 300 over the last stretch of the season, and has really turned into a field leader, or the highest priced position player on a FA market, with character problems.

Honestly, I would rather have Uribe, but Furcal is undoubtedly a better player.

How in the world can we even think about Furcal? The guy's gonna get $10-13 mil per, there's no way we can afford both that and $12-16 mil per for a hitter with power. Even if you fit it in somehow, you're locking up $25 mil per (maybe more) for 4-5 years, which will annihilate your flexibility, especially when you're talking about (say) Furcal and Konerko -- good players, but not among the best in the majors.

So you have to try to find a younger, cheaper hitter with power. There's no guarantee you'll find any, but if you do, it will cost you pitching (and no, I don't mean Marte). So we'd f up the part of this team that carried us to a WS win to improve our ss's obp by 50 points? Have you forgotten in one year what a real 5th starter looks like?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
How in the world can we even think about Furcal?  The guy's gonna get $10-13 mil per, there's no way we can afford both that and $12-16 mil per for a hitter with power.  Even if you fit it in somehow, you're locking up $25 mil per (maybe more) for 4-5 years, which will annihilate your flexibility, especially when you're talking about (say) Furcal and Konerko -- good players, but not among the best in the majors.

So you have to try to find a younger, cheaper hitter with power.  There's no guarantee you'll find any, but if you do, it will cost you pitching (and no, I don't mean Marte).  So we'd f up the part of this team that carried us to a WS win to improve our ss's obp by 50 points?  Have you forgotten in one year what a real 5th starter looks like?

I dont think anyone is realistically thinking about Furcal, at least im not. uribe is of greater value to this org, and I think he will be overall as well.

#2 hitter with speed =

Willie Harris! :P

I'm sorry but Iguchi is not a DH. I am sure with all the times he had to sacrifice his at-bat batting second, his numbers would be better in another spot but .270 15 75 from the 2nd spot do not project to .320 35 120 or what we have grown accustomed to from our DH over the previous decade. We can keep Iguchi at 2nd and bat him down in the order and find a DH that could offer us a little bit more as all he needs to do is hit. :gosox3:

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
Sorry to dissapoint you, but season ticket holders already have cubs/sox tickets.  So I am already set.   Dont trip over yourself while you are backtracking ok?

Yeah, I definatley think that the sox are going to trade for a starting SS who is not as good as the cheap on that they have, and have expressed extreme confidence in.  And then sit down the better player as well, because Ozzie happened to coach on the same team as the guy.  It definatley seems like a move that KW (the Gm of the year in many peoples eyes) would perform.  I mean, it displaces a better player, hurts our payroll, and probably gets rid of a decent prospect in the meantime.  Yes, sounds good.

:banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

Usually teams dont trade for another teams starter, who is not as good as their current player, and then sit the better player down.  Seriously, who does this?  But I see your logic.

Uribe>>>>>>>Alex Gonzalez

now you know, and learning is half the battle.  Thanks for playing.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

Good morning, folks,

Might I suggest the Ignore Feature?

I have found it to be delightful in the rare instance I have used it.

It's delicious, fat-free and 100% natural!!

It comes in two flavors, Shut Up and Go Away, and it's also handy for reducing headaches!

The Ignore Feature - it's IGNORRIFIC!!!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
Good morning, folks,

Might I suggest the Ignore Feature?

I have found it to be delightful in the rare instance I have used it.

It's delicious, fat-free and 100% natural!!

It comes in two flavors, Shut Up and Go Away, and it's also handy for reducing headaches!

The Ignore Feature - it's IGNORRIFIC!!!

No need for the green... however there is also no need for the shots. JMO, as always.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
You and your homosexual refrences are ignorant bulls***.

MO, a vacation would be nice.

Huh? Where did I say it was a bad thing that he has a boyfriend? If you think it is a bad thing or he thinks it is a bad thing or anyone else here thinks that it is a bad thing that he has a boyfriend then shame on you guys. I am totally fine with his sexuality and his decisions in life. I am not judging him. He is what he is and I accept him for that. Why are you so down on a man having a boyfriend? Why do you think that is a bad thing?

By the way Rock Raines, I have come back with two posts now that you can't come back from. You apparently want to read into something that is not there.

My first post in months and this guy tries to bash me and goes off like 3 different times before I can even respond? That is not necessary. And Steff was right the first time. You were not going to like any answer you received. It was just something you wanted to start up. You did, great job.

As far as personal attacks go, Rock Raines started with these. Read his first post to me:

Are you nuts? Why would you move the best shortstop in the AL?, thats right, he deserved the GG more than anyone else. And now you are talking about putting him on the bench? Are you kidding me? Where do you get off calling yourself a sox fan while you know nothing about this team? Please tell me where Uribe deserves to get moved from starting to being a sub? Please enlighten us all. And me and you can put down a gentlemans bet that if uribe starts at SS for the sox next year you owe me cubs/sox tickets and vice versa. Your theories are unfounded and ridiculous, I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

The sox have NO need for furcal or Gonzalez for that matter. We have a young, cheap, GG caliber SS who is one of the leaders of this team.

So if you are going to suspend me for personal attacks then I suggest the same suspension for Mr. Rock Raines. There was no need for the way he posted to me, but he wanted to start a fight and he did.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
Huh? Where did I say it was a bad thing that he has a boyfriend? If you think it is a bad thing or he thinks it is a bad thing or anyone else here thinks that it is a bad thing that he has a boyfriend then shame on you guys. I am totally fine with his sexuality and his decisions in life. I am not judging him. He is what he is and I accept him for that. Why are you so down on a man having a boyfriend? Why do you think that is a bad thing?

Dude, give it up. Thats now 3 homo remarks. If I was gay I would take offense, because you insinuate that its derogitory.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
Dude, give it up.  Thats now 3 homo remarks.  If I was gay I would take offense, because you insinuate that its derogitory.

Where do I insinuate such a thing? Again, you are reading into things that just are not there.

I really thought you were gay. That is why I even put that in there., That you can buy you and your boyfriend tickets. I thought you had a boyfriend. Sorry that I was mistaken. It is no different than if I thought you were straight and told you to buy your own tickets for you and your girlfriend. However, I had no idea that you were straight. I thought for sure that you are definitely gay. Sorry for the confusion.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Where do I insinuate such a thing? Again, you are reading into things that just are not there.

I really thought you were gay. That is why I even put that in there., That you can buy you and your boyfriend tickets. I thought you had a boyfriend. Sorry that I was mistaken. It is no different than if I thought you were straight and told you to buy your own tickets for you and your girlfriend. However, I had no idea that you were straight. I thought for sure that you are definitely gay. Sorry for the confusion.

Seriously, you need to give it up. Besides your horrible arguments, your repeated insults about thinking that im gay is really pretty immature and stupid. I suggest you maybe stop posting for awhile to collect your thoughts, thanks.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
Seriously, you need to give it up.  Besides your horrible arguments, your repeated insults about thinking that im gay is really pretty immature and stupid.  I suggest you maybe stop posting for awhile to collect your thoughts, thanks.

You consider it an insult to be thought of as gay? Why is that? Maybe you should think about why you feel that is such an insult. I really had no idea you were straight. I apologized for that. I find nothing wrong with you being gay or straight. I don't know why you find one an insult and one not. Maybe you should mull that over.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)

haha, thats a huge slap in the face, man. you better make sure before you say that to someone. thats like congratulating a really fat woman on being pregnant when she's just fat.