Poll: Do you like the Rowand for Thome deal?

dmbjeff

Poll: Do you like the Rowand for Thome deal?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Do you like the Rowand for Thome deal?

• YES
    • NO

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)
My only problem I see is Thome K's, how is Ozzie going to handle a 1-4 3K day for thome?

Thome's yearly OBP totals are absolutely disgusting:

'94 - .359

'95 - .438

'96 - .450

'97 - .423

'98 - .413

'99 - .426

'00 - .398

'01 - .416

'02 - .445

'03 - .385

'04 - .396

The guy does strike out a ton but he does average 100 walks a yr as well. Plus, a career .281 batting avg isn't bad :headbang

QUOTE(Allsox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)

'94 - .359

'95 - .438

'96 - .450

'97 - .423

'98 - .413

'99 - .426

'00 - .398

'01 - .416

'02 - .445

'03 - .385

'04 - .396

The guy does strike out a ton but he does average 100 walks a yr as well. Plus, a career .281 batting avg isn't bad  :headbang

i hope disgusting was a good term cause thome is a stud

My first reaction is that I like the trade. If Gio's in it, and it sounds likely, then I'm a little less happy, but I still support it. Delgado's gone, and Giles looks set to stay on the West Coast. I don't know if it was absolutely the best move, but somehow, someway we NEED some big offensive threat for next year to have any hope of repeating. Thome's a risk, but you just have to hope that the physical catches anything.

QUOTE(chisoxfan14 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
i absolutly hate it! A-row was our guy! What about his defense!! oh my aaron rowand..how could kenny do this!

Never change. :D

QUOTE(The Human Borch @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
I f***ing hate this trade. Rowand was one of my favorite players and Thome did not show anything this past season and he is getting old while rowand is still young. I think this is a terrible move by kenny.

What about 28 years old makes Rowand "young" by any account? What I don't understand about everyone bummed about losing Rowand is it sounds like they think he can still improve. Sure it's possible, but it's unlikely as common thought tends to believe 27 is the peak age in baseball. This isn't to say Rowand is immediately going to get worse, but it does mean that he certainly is not going to get all that better.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way Aaron plays the game and I hate to see him gone. But I think people's emotions are getting in the way...since like as many have mentioned Brian Anderson is ready and will probably provide the same statistics and be an above average CF. Our OF situation was much like Philly's 1st base situation....thus making them a quality match here. We have plently of prospects able to fill Rowand's void, and that's if we don't acquire someone like Pierre (which I'm not all that sold on).

You can complain about this trade all you want, but at least complain for the right reasons...because I was def. one that was ecstatic when I just saw Rowand for Thome. Once I heard the prospects involved, my optimism tempered a bit, so I think in that respect the prospects are much more important in the grand scheme of things (long term).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
I really do love this trade.  This was virtually what I've been asking for all offseason.  I think everyone is going to miss Aaron though.

I'll miss Rowand for his glove (not neccesarily his arm) and his demeanor. He's a cool guy and a fan favorite. But man last year his bat was weak. A change had to be made.

Good luck in Philly, Aaron!

I'm not sure how this is a good trade at all. After winning the World Series because of PITCHING and DEFENSE we give up an above average centerfielder for a full-time DH? Did the Carlos Lee trade teach us nothing?

Plus, does this mean Konerko is definitely gone? If so, we now have zero defense at 1B and a guy who strikes out a billion times. He hits a ton of HRs? So what, so did Carlos and Mags, and guess where that got us.

This deal makes no sense to me after what Kenny did with this team last year. None.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)

'94 - .359

'95 - .438

'96 - .450

'97 - .423

'98 - .413

'99 - .426

'00 - .398

'01 - .416

'02 - .445

'03 - .385

'04 - .396

The guy does strike out a ton but he does average 100 walks a yr as well. Plus, a career .281 batting avg isn't bad  :headbang

Rowand's OBP:

01' .385 (63 games)

02' .298 (126 games)

03' .327 (93 games)

04' .361 (140 games)

05' .329 (157 games)

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
I'm not sure how this is a good trade at all. After winning the World Series because of PITCHING and DEFENSE we give up an above average centerfielder for a full-time DH? Did the Carlos Lee trade teach us nothing?

Plus, does this mean Konerko is definitely gone? If so, we now have zero defense at 1B and a guy who strikes out a billion times. He hits a ton of HRs? So what, so did Carlos and Mags, and guess where that got us.

This deal makes no sense to me after what Kenny did with this team last year. None.

Carlos Lee and Magglio both were right handed batters. A left-handed masher to compliment Paulie and Dye will be lethal.

Obvioulsy KW knows something that we all do not. I remember the Olivo deal and the Lee deal and thinking the same thing, WTF, but then when I saw the results on the field I saw the plan in action.

'94 - .359

'95 - .438

'96 - .450

'97 - .423

'98 - .413

'99 - .426

'00 - .398

'01 - .416

'02 - .445

'03 - .385

'04 - .396

Point taken.. I love the deal, that was my only consern

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
The only part i dont like about it is that Gio is involved. Other than that i am a fan of this deal.

Yeah, there will always be parts of the deal that will not sit well, but you always have to give to receive.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
The only part i dont like about it is that Gio is involved. Other than that i am a fan of this deal.

We still don't know that. The best rumor right now is that it's ARow, Haigwood, and a Player to be named later...the only source I've heard thus far suggest Gio could be is Bruce Levine...and well...we should have the quote down by now.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)

I agree kinda as far as Gio is concerned. The kid seems like a stud. I can only think that maybe the Sox think he's too small a guy to ever really make it big in the Majors. Anyway, prospects are just that, prospects. Scott Ruffcorn anyone?