Poll: Do you like the Rowand for Thome deal?

dmbjeff

Poll: Do you like the Rowand for Thome deal?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Do you like the Rowand for Thome deal?

• YES
    • NO

We still don't know that.  The best rumor right now is that it's ARow, Haigwood, and a Player to be named later...the only source I've heard thus far suggest Gio could be is Bruce Levine...and well...we should have the quote down by now.

I don't think Gio would be apart of the deal, Much like Jose C and BMac were suppose to be apart of it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
I don't think Gio would be apart of the deal, Much like Jose C and BMac were suppose to be apart of it.

I think for Gio to really be a part of it...later would have to be "Much later", as in later to the point that we know beyond any shadow of a doubt that Thome will be our starting DH on opening day and will play for us for at least a couple months without missing much time.

I just can't imagine the guy who wouldn't move BMac being willing to move Gio without having some guarantee that the merchandise he's getting in return is solid.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
I'm not sure how this is a good trade at all. After winning the World Series because of PITCHING and DEFENSE we give up an above average centerfielder for a full-time DH? Did the Carlos Lee trade teach us nothing?

Plus, does this mean Konerko is definitely gone? If so, we now have zero defense at 1B and a guy who strikes out a billion times. He hits a ton of HRs? So what, so did Carlos and Mags, and guess where that got us.

This deal makes no sense to me after what Kenny did with this team last year. None.

When Carlos and Maggs were here we didn't have the pitching. We had a black hole that sucked the life out of our White Sox, and it was scheduled every fifth day. KW hasn't sacrificed our rotation, and the bullpen will stay mostly intact. He accepted a defensive downgrade at one position to improve the offense. And if it's Anderson, our defense will still be good, just perhaps a bit diminished.

Are you really arguing that we don't need offense, that pitching and defense are enough? How many games are we gonna win if we play only that side of the game? And whatever one might think about Konerko, or whatever 'promising signs' are being reported, there's no guarantee whatsoever that he'll return to the Sox. We had an abysmally weak offense last season (at least, for many stretches in that season -- loooong stretches), and we're looking at losing by far our best hitter. And we shouldn't consider trading some defense for a player who has long been one of the best hitters in the majors?

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
I really like this deal.  Hopefully Thome bounces back this year, but the Phillies are eating 22 million of his salary (looks like they think he's about finished).

Not really, they had a pretty good player named Ryan Howard step up and win NL ROY.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
true. 

but 22 million is still a  lot of salary to eat.

I thought it was 24 Million? Yeah, it is a lot to eat, but you can't look at it at eating the contract, because they got 2 prospects and Rowand, and they already had Howard.

Actually, when I look at the deal, this is a steal for the Sox:

Thome's remaining contract:

$12.5 Million - 2006

$14 Million - 2007

$14 Million - 2008

$13 Million - 2009 with Club Option $3 Million Buyout

Phils pay $8 Million a year in the trade.

Sox pay:

$4.5 Million - 2006

$6 Million - 2007

$6 Million - 2008

$13 Million - 2009 with Club Option $3 Million Buyout

Only 4.5 Million in 2006!

It is a decent trade in the short term.

What the Sox needed was someone who could drive in RISP; they had too many men LOB in '05.

They had no problem getting guys on, but knocking them in was the real issue.

I fail to see how moving the one guy who was successful at that helps them with that problem.

I believe Thome is washed-up. But I also believe that Rowand isn't going to ever match his 2004 offensive numbers. So I see this as kind of a wash.

If Gio lights up the National League, then I think this will go down as a fairly bad trade. But I think he's too injury-prone to do that.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
I believe Thome is washed-up. But I also believe that Rowand isn't going to ever match his 2004 offensive numbers. So I see this as kind of a wash.

If Gio lights up the National League, then I think this will go down as a fairly bad trade. But I think he's too injury-prone to do that.

I don't think Thome is completely washed up. He is obviously not the same player he was 5 years ago, but he will be a huge upgrade at DH for the Sox. He will also have the ability to play first as needed.

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
I think Thome is completely washed up.  He is obviously not the same player he was 5 years ago, but he will be a huge upgrade at DH for the Sox.  He will also have the ability to play first as needed.

umm look at his numbers from his rookie year all the way up to 2004

really consistant and 2005 is the only down year.... we all know why and we all know why that wont happen again.

I voted "No."

I liked getting Jim Thome. I think the Sox could have given up less.

If you swapped out Sean Tracey for Gio Gonzalez, I'm OK with the deal.

If you swapped out Josh Fields the 3B for Gio, I'm OK with the deal.

If you swapped out Ray Liotta for Gio, I'm OK with the deal.

But I just don't get giving up the Sox's TWO best pitching prospects (I don't consider BMac a prospect any more - he had 70 innings in MLB) for a guy the Phillies absolutely HAD to move, and that they could only trade to a handful of teams because of his N/T clause. IMHO, KW overpaid for Thome, and he could have gotten a better deal.

Gio put up BMAC like stats in A ball last year and looked poised to succeed in B'ham. I think he's the real deal and would be the eventual replacement for whoever among Buehrle, Garland, or Garcia the Sox could not resign.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
This IMO is a good trade without question.  And the folks that don't like it will come around, they are just very understandably saddened to lose such a great guy like Rowand.

You are correct. I am sad to see Aaron go, but getting Thome is huge for the Sox. I would hate to be the Indians right now.