Report: Pads Re-Sign Giles

SoxFanForever

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
Woa!

Two mild shockers within the past eight hours.  Personally, I'm glad the Padres were able to keep him in San Diego.

That will make for a lot of happy San Diegins...

San Diegoans...

San Diegoens...

What does San Diego mean again?

I am sorry I can't resist. Oh I love Anchorman.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Definitely a good signing for the Padres.

Absolutely. Their offense as bad it is, would have just become that much worse without Giles.

They're already losing Hernandez, and Miggy Olivo is likely taking over as the everyday C unless they sign Brad Ausmus. So re-signing Giles was absolutely crucial for them, because guys like Vinny Castilla, well, they ain't upgrades. :lol:

Will be interesting to see how Mike Cameron does for them at Petco though. Probably won't have good offensive numbers, but he'll be very valuable for them.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
Haha, wasn't 3/30 the number thrown around right at the start of the offseason?

Good sign for the Pads.

At least recently the last numbers I remember seeing from the Pads were something like $24-$27 million for 3 years, so I think this is a bit of a jump.

That's at least a reasonable contract for him everything else being equal.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
What does San Diego mean again?

I am sorry I can't resist.  Oh I love Anchorman.

Historians believe its German for a Whale's Vagina, but the phrase is so old that nobody's really sure anymore.

So, for those of us who have been kinda in a baseball blackout since the "Really Good Thing"™ happened a month ago, who was courting Giles?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
Historians believe its German for a Whale's Vagina, but the phrase is so old that nobody's really sure anymore.

So, for those of us who have been kinda in a baseball blackout since the "Really Good Thing"™ happened a month ago, who was courting Giles?

Cleveland, although few believe they were really in it. The Cubs certainly had some stake in it, although I think they chickened out on the dollars. The Jays were obviously the high bidders. The Cardinals had an interest but were told that Giles would give no discount to play for the Cardinals. The Yankees were interested but they have about 500 circuses going at once. I think the Red Sox would have gotten involved if the Manny saga had been figured out before Giles signed anywhere. THose were some of the players anyways