Castillo to the Twins

SoxFan562004

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
Do you honestly think that skewed the stats that much?  Come on.

Castillo plays better defense, is a better hitter, and has more speed than Graffanino.  There's really no comparison.

Hell yes I think it skews it that much. You can't get in any kind of hitting rhythm pinch hitting every once in awhile and playing one day a week. It's tough to do.

The more relevent question is if I want

.309 .366 .425 .791

.293 .370 .356 .726

for the two hole. And the answer is simple to me. Like I said, you'll see.

Oh yah, plus Castillo's speed and burst are gone. He's still fast obviously, but nothing like he was.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Peter Gammons is reporting on ESPN radio that the deal is done.

Twins get:  Luis Castillo

Marlins get:  minor leaguers Travis Bowyer and Scott Tyler

Bowyer is solid. He might be the best player in the entire deal.

Come on, Luis Castillo has so many leg problems he's not worth top minor leaguers, and that is what Bowyer is.

Luis Rivas has more value than Luis Castillo... I hope.

Haha. Uh, no.

But I'd rather have Pods/Graff instead of Iguchi/Pods, Castillo/Pods or something of that sort. Castillo is a Pods type player with much fewer strikeouts, which as I said many times in our discussion, that I HATE anywhere but the leadoff spot. If you slug under .400 you shouldn't be allowed to hit anywhere but leadoff. Haha.

Castillo doesn't steal much these days, has posted much better OBP over the years, and plays much better defense at his respective position than Podsednik does at his. Castillo put up a .391 OBP last season. That's much, much better than Podsednik's .351 OBP. I don't see much of a comparison other than the fact that neither hits for any power whatsoever.

Hell yes I think it skews it that much. You can't get in any kind of hitting rhythm pinch hitting every once in awhile and playing one day a week. It's tough to do.

The more relevent question is if I want

.309 .366 .425 .791

.293 .370 .356 .726

for the two hole. And the answer is simple to me. Like I said, you'll see.

Oh yah, plus Castillo's speed and burst are gone. He's still fast obviously, but nothing like he was.

Why are you comparing Graffanino's 2005 stats to Castillo's career stats?

Graffanino (2005 stats): .309 .366 .425 .791

Castillo (2005 stats): .301 .391 .374 .765

Graffanino put up those numbers in one season. Castillo has put up his line consistently. I would put my money on Castillo to repeat his line way before gambling on Graffanino to do the same. Castillo has done it before. Graffanino hasn't.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
Castillo doesn't steal much these days, has posted much better OBP over the years, and plays much better defense at his respective position than Podsednik does at his.  Castillo put up a .391 OBP last season.  That's much, much better than Podsednik's .351 OBP.  I don't see much of a comparison other than the fact that neither hits for any power whatsoever.

First, .391 is with Cabrera and Delgado behind him.

Second, .351 is with Iguchi (in his first year) and Everett behind him. Plus Pods OBP was closer to .375 when he wasn't hurt, and August was obviously the exception to the rule when looking at his numbers.

Next, I'm not talking anything about defense, jsut hitting. And SB, and messing up the pitchers etc. , are a big part of being a leadoff hitter, so it's probably good that Castillo isn't batting leadoff in that sense. Castillo's just too much of a tweener to me. Doens't have a really good position in the lineup. I mean, that OBP is gonna be really nice in the 2 spot for them, though I doubt he gets anywhere near .391 without Cabrera and Delgado behind him.

Castillo's a good hitter, really patient hitter, just not a guy I'd want in the 2 hole necessarily, especially if my 3 and 4 don't have much power.

Edited by jphat007

First, .391 is with Cabrera and Delgado behind him.

Second, .351 is with Iguchi (in his first year) and Everett behind him. Plus Pods OBP was closer to .375 when he wasn't hurt, and August was obviously the exception to the rule when looking at his numbers.

Next, I'm not talking anything about defense, jsut hitting. And SB, and messing up the pitchers etc. , are a big part of being a leadoff hitter, so it's probably good that Castillo isn't batting leadoff in that sense. Castillo's just too much of a tweener to me. Doens't have a really good position in the lineup. I mean, that OBP is gonna be really nice in the 2 spot for them, though I doubt he gets anywhere near .391 without Cabrera and Delgado behind him.

Castillo's a good hitter, really patient hitter, just not a guy I'd want in the 2 hole necessarily, especially if my 3 and 4 don't have much power.

And Boston's stacked lineup didn't help Graffanino's numbers? By the way, Castillo will likely lead off for the Twins with Stewart batting second so what does it matter if you don't like him in the 2-hole or not?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
Why are you comparing Graffanino's 2005 stats to Castillo's career stats?

Graffanino (2005 stats):  .309  .366  .425  .791

Castillo (2005 stats):  .301  .391  .374  .765

Graffanino put up those numbers in one season.  Castillo has put up his line consistently.  I would put my money on Castillo to repeat his line way before gambling on Graffanino to do the same.  Castillo has done it before.  Graffanino hasn't.

I'd bet both players come down from those lines a little big, in similar fashion, and I'd still take Tony G. over Castillo in the 2 hole.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
And Boston's stacked lineup didn't help Graffanino's numbers?  By the way, Castillo will likely lead off for the Twins with Stewart batting second so what does it matter if you don't like him in the 2-hole or not?

I doubt that. Stewart is their leadoff hitter, and even if he did, thats fine too, he's no threat on teh bases and he won't get on base at a .291 clip again.

Graffy wasn't hitting in front of Manny and Ortiz, though the one day he did he went 3-4 with an rbi and a walk :P , for one thing, for another thing I was looking at Pods, not Graffy.

Nice try though.

Edited by jphat007

I doubt that. Stewart is their leadoff hitter, and even if he did, thats fine too, he's no threat on teh bases and he won't get on base at a .291 clip again.

Graffy wasn't hitting in front of Manny and Ortiz for one thing, for another thing I was looking at Pods, not Graffy.

Nice try though.

What? Castillo had 10 SB last season, Stewart had only 7 SB. :huh:

Castillo: .370 career OBP

Stewart: .364 career OBP

Stewart has a bit more homerun power than Castillo. Castillo will be leading off with Stewart batting second. Nice try though.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Compared with what they've had recently at 2nd base, Castillo is a massive addition for this team.  The Twins definitely traded from a position of strength, which is their bullpen.

Oh yah. No question its an upgrade over Rivas and Punto. They sucked. And they did trade from bullpen, even though it was a good prospect.

They need run producers though. Not run setter-uppers.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)

Graffy wasn't hitting in front of Manny and Ortiz, though the one day he did he went 3-4 with an rbi and a walk  :P , for one thing, for another thing I was looking at Pods, not Graffy.

Nice try though.

Castillo hit in front of Delgado for one season.

Luis Castillo is better than Tony Graffanino. You are completely wrong. There is a reason that Graff couldn't start for the longest time on the Royals.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
What?  Castillo had 10 SB last season, Stewart had only 7 SB.   :huh:

Castillo:  .370 career OBP

Stewart:  .364 career OBP

Stewart has a bit more homerun power than Castillo.  Castillo will be leading off with Stewart batting second.  Nice try though.

That was my point. Castillo gets on base a good clip, but doesn't do anythign when he's on there. The Twinks problem is not getting guys on, they were actually better than the Sox at that. They need guys to drive them in, and this doesn't help it. And I obvioulsy meant .391 clip, FTW! haha. gotta go. time to argue more later.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
Oh yah. No question its an upgrade over Rivas and Punto. They sucked. And they did trade from bullpen, even though it was a good prospect.

They need run producers though. Not run setter-uppers.

I have a feeling they're going to make another move to strengthen their infield. They still have an opening at 3rd base, and wouldn't be shocked at all if they sign Nomar.

A lineup with Castillo-Stewart-Nomar-Mauer-Hunter-Morneau is a very solid start, especially with their very strong pitching.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
Castillo hit in front of Delgado for one season.

Luis Castillo is better than Tony Graffanino.  You are completely wrong.  There is a reason that Graff couldn't start for the longest time on the Royals.

I don't think he's a better 2-hole hitter. Castillo is definitely a better all around player though. I never said he wasn't. But keep putting words in my mouth. :bang

And the reason he didn't start is because he was a butcher in the field. But for a team like the Twinks, if they don't get a lot more run producers, good defense won't matter.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
I have a feeling they're going to make another move to strengthen their infield.  They still have an opening at 3rd base, and wouldn't be shocked at all if they sign Nomar.

A lineup with Castillo-Stewart-Nomar-Mauer-Hunter-Morneau is a very solid start, especially with their very strong pitching.

Yah, its a solid start for a chance at a wild card. They have a hole in right, 3rd, SS, 1st, and DH. Thats a lot of holes.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Thank you.  It's so obvious that I can't believe I even have to debate it.   :huh:

Man you guys don't read. I'm not debating a whole player, I'm debating a 2-hole hitter. I know I'm not a great typer, but its not that hard to follow is it? Do I need to proof read or something? Thats why its so hard to argue on this board. People you are arguing with go and change the topic half way through and then call oyu an idiot for something you didn't say. I love it!

:lolhitting :bang :P

Edited by jphat007

Man you guys don't read. I'm not debating a whole player, I'm debating a 2-hole hitter. I know I'm not a great typer, but its not that hard to follow is it? Do I need to proof read or something?

Castillo is a better player than Graffanino overall, and would still be the better 2-hole hitter. He will put up much higher OBP's over the years than Graffanino will ever be able to dream of, unless he manages to repeat on his career year last season.

Edited by SSH2005