Castillo to the Twins

SoxFan562004

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent move for the Twinks. Surprising that Florida got them to give up Bowyer. Many, many teams wanted him. Figure they could have gotten more salary chewed or something, even with all the other good 2B available to sign, especially nwo that he is taking up 5 more million of an already small payroll.

They are going to need a lot more than Castillo though. He doesn't run anymore. Has zero power for a #2 hitter, not even doubles power. It'll be interesting to see what his numbers look like without Delgado and Cabrera behind him.

Oh yah. Thank goodness they didn't sign Tony G. He kills us on offense. I thought thats who they'd get. And I think we used up all of our luck with him in the field :P

Edited by jphat007

Decent move for the Twinks. Surprising that Florida got them to give up Bowyer. Many, many teams wanted him. Figure they could have gotten more salary chewed or something, even with all the other good 2B available to sign, especially nwo that he is taking up 5 more million of an already small payroll.

They are going to need a lot more than Castillo though. He doesn't run anymore. Has zero power for a #2 hitter, not even doubles power. It'll be interesting to see what his numbers look like without Delgado and Cabrera behind him.

Oh yah. Thank goodness they didn't sign Tony G. He kills us on offense. I thought thats who they'd get. And I think we used up all of our luck with him in the field  :P

It was pretty much a steal. Bowyer is the only good player going to the Marlins and he's still just a reliever. Tyler is a nobody. Why would the Marlins pick up any of Castillo's contract? It was mostly a salary dump.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
It was pretty much a steal.  Bowyer is the only good player going to the Marlins and he's still just a reliever.  Tyler is a nobody.  Why would the Marlins pick up any of Castillo's contract?  It was mostly a salary dump.

I would have not traded anyone and picked up Tony G. or Mark G. for less. Thats just me though. But I'm glad the Twins did it their way. It's a decent 1-2-3. Though Stewart's always hurt, even if he plays, and Mauer doesn't hit for high power. Though to be fair, nobody on that team does.

Edited by jphat007

I would have not traded anyone and picked up Tony G. or Mark G. for less. Thats just me though. But I'm glad the Twins did it their way. It's a decent 1-2-3. Though Stewart's always hurt, even if he plays, and Mauer doesn't hit for high power. Though to be fair, nobody on that team does.

I agree with you. I wonder why they didn't want Graffanino? I do like their new 1-2 of Castillo and Stewart if they stay healthy. They still need a power-hitting DH though. I just hope it's not a healthy Frank Thomas.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
I agree with you.  I wonder why they didn't want Graffanino?  I do like their new 1-2 of Castillo and Stewart if they stay healthy.  They still need a power-hitting DH though.  I just hope it's not a healthy Frank Thomas.

Let it be DH. I love Frank but it would be a horrible investment for a team like that. He's pretty much going to do nothing but try and hit homeruns. No good BA, no moving runners along, and I don't think he'll take as many walks. He has his ring, now he wants 500 HR, and he is going to do nothing but swing for the downs everytime up there, as he is said. At least he is honest about it.

The Twins need power, but not at the expense of that other stuff. Frank would be a nice addition for a team, but if you are looking for him to be your all around great hitter these days, its not going to happen.

Especially considering the fact that he might not be able to play more than a month or two.

Edited by jphat007

Tony G. has trouble getting down on grounders. :D

Haha, that's what I was going to write in my last post. :D

Let it be DH. I love Frank but it would be a horrible investment for a team like that. He's pretty much going to do nothing but try and hit homeruns. No good BA, no moving runners along, and I don't think he'll take as many walks. He has his ring, now he wants 500 HR, and he is going to do nothing but swing for the downs everytime up there, as he is said. At least he is honest about it.

The Twins need power, but not at the expense of that other stuff. Frank would be a nice addition for a team, but if you are looking for him to be your all around great hitter these days, its not going to happen.

Especially considering the fact that he might not be able to play more than a month or two.

I'm not worried about Frank's production for another team like the Twins. I just wouldn't want to see him playing for the Twins. Frank or not, we would still be better than them.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
Haha, that's what I was going to write in my last post.  :D

I'm not worried about Frank's production for another team like the Twins.  I just wouldn't want to see him playing for the Twins.  Frank or not, we would still be better than them.

Oh yah. It'd be sick. I dispise the Twins, even though they sucked last year.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
Same here.  I mean, I felt like s*** when Rowand left here.. I can't even imagine how the Marlin fans feel with just about everyone on their team leaving.

The Marlin fans went through this in 97, and all it got them was another title in 2003.

Unless you have Yankee dollars, every team winds up needing to trade people off and restart/rebuild at some point. Few teams do it as drastically as the Marlins...but few teams win 2 World series in their first decade of existence either.

The Marlin fans have to feel pretty bad right now...but if that team manages to stay in Florida, in a few years, there's a good chance they will be in vastly better moods.

That and Tony needs to go over the force/tag rules when he's covering a base :) Anyways, yes it is depressing for the Marlins fans. I kind of wonder why so many people here still believe that the Marlins will want Marte. Maybe to close? I just don't buy it. They obviously don't have a lot of interest in being competitive for 06 so trading for Marte just doesn't seem to make sense unless they have him close which could be a nightmare on Arthur Rhodes-levels. I feel bad for Beinfest though. He's a good gm who is just handcuffed right now

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
fixed.

He'd be a much better leadoff hitter too if that means anything.

Castillo's also a better hitter than Graffy is. I don't think Graffy is an every day player, as his short swing seems to get longer when he plays more than 3 or 4 days in a row.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Castillo's also a better hitter than Graffy is.  I don't think Graffy is an every day player, as his short swing seems to get longer when he plays more than 3 or 4 days in a row.

I'd rather have Graffy as a No. 2 than Castillo though.

And Castillo has Pods like numbers with RISP. I've always thought Graffy could be a good everyday player if given the chance. He showed it with Boston, and when he was starting everyday with KC.

I would give him a day off a week against the toughest righty though.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
Rebuilding is kind of exciting in a way if you do it wisely.  Just my opinion.

If by exciting you mean losing a lot, sure.

There is a lot less stress on your life though. Expectations are so low that you can only do better.

They are going to get run over in that division though. Gonna be scary.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)

And Castillo has Pods like numbers with RISP. I've always thought Graffy could be a good everyday player if given the chance. He showed it with Boston, and when he was starting everyday with KC.

I would give him a day off a week against the toughest righty though.

So you'd rather have a 1-2 of Pods/Graffanino than Sizemore/Castillo? :P

fixed.

He'd be a much better leadoff hitter too if that means anything.

Graffanino: .268 career AVG, .336 career OBP

Castillo: .293 career AVG, .370 career OBP

There's really no comparison. Just because Graffanino had a career year last season, it changes nothing.

Look at the numbers above and try to say that with a straight face.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Castillo's also a better hitter than Graffy is.  I don't think Graffy is an every day player, as his short swing seems to get longer when he plays more than 3 or 4 days in a row.

Especially with the ban on amphetamines now in effect :D

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
Graffanino:  .268 career AVG, .336 career OBP

Castillo:  .293 career AVG, .370 career OBP

There's really no comparison.  Just because Graffanino had a career year last season, it changes nothing.

Look at the above numbers and try to say that with a straight face.

I am going by the times where he was an everyday player. You can't look at his career stats when he was a PH and once a week player for most of his career. At that point you have to go to the only reference you can as an everyday player.

You'll see though.

I am going by the times where he was an everyday player. You can't look at his career stats when he was a PH and once a week player for most of his career. At that point you have to go to the only reference you can as an everyday player.

You'll see though.

Do you honestly think that skewed the stats that much? Come on.

Castillo plays better defense, is a better hitter, and has more speed than Graffanino. There's really no comparison.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
So you'd rather have a 1-2 of Pods/Graffanino than Sizemore/Castillo?  :P

Haha. Uh, no.

But I'd rather have Pods/Graff instead of Iguchi/Pods, Castillo/Pods or something of that sort. Castillo is a Pods type player with much fewer strikeouts, which as I said many times in our discussion, that I HATE anywhere but the leadoff spot. If you slug under .400 you shouldn't be allowed to hit anywhere but leadoff. Haha.