Paging Backman or Bobby V

Mr. Showtime

Phil Rogers in the Trib, new article that will be in Tuesday's paper.

Rogers

Whole gist of it is that Manuel should go with one of the above mentioned taking over. Also calls for Miles to come up and the trade of either Konerko or Thomas.

I've always been a fan of Bobby V. and I'd love to see him bring some life to this team, but c'mon that'll never happen because they think firing GW will solve all the worlds problems!

Phil Rogers in the Trib, new article that will be in Tuesday's paper.

Rogers

Whole gist of it is that Manuel should go with one of the above mentioned taking over. Also calls for Miles to come up and the trade of either Konerko or Thomas.

Well, I'm usually in agreement with Phil and as always I think he's right on the money.

Think, have I not been calling for this things for a while. I think that the next step would be to find a shortstop candidate and then platoon Jose at DH and let him play the infield on ocassions and of course NEVER have him face a LEFTY.

I am loving my Nixon for Konerko deal, but I also doubt that the Red Sox would do it, unless we threw in a pitcher of some sort to help their pen (Which is improving). I'd just love to get them to take the salary off the hook and Nixon is a type of player this team could really use.

I also think that Manuel can sense the end and he is trying anything and everything to get things righted. Its just nothing is working. I don't blame him whatsoever, but sometimes you just have to make a change to try and see if a new approach can do something to change the team.

Backman or V, fine by me. It was interesting to here everyones comments on a hitting coach midseason. I also think that one of those guys (I forget the name, but the guy on the left that didn't play baseball) should of shutup in terms of Walker fails in his first day. He was probably joking but what the hell is a coach going to change in a day. It will take at the minimum two weeks or so before you start noticing some changes and we can only hope they are for the better.

Interesting how Valentine said having one of his coaches fired midseason pissed him off. I doubt this is the case with Manuel, cause if i think back Ward was always KW's guy. My theory is let the damn manager hire his coaches, if you can't trust him with that then you can't trust him with the team, imo.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I am loving my Nixon for Konerko deal,
.. after nixons dumbass move tossing the ball to the fans with onlyt 2 outs.. he should fit right in with this team full of misfit players..................that would be exactly what we need to totaly suck royal around here........ :D :D

I hope that was a joke Michelle cause Nixon is one of the more heads up players in the majors as is Larry Walker, the last player I can remember to make that kind of mistake.

Damn, wheres Baggs when you need him; I know he was with me last year when I was pushing a Nixon trade. I think at that time it involved Konerko or Lee and then a reliever.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I hope that was a joke Michelle cause Nixon is one of the more heads up players in the majors as is Larry Walker, the last player I can remember to make that kind of mistake. 

Damn, wheres Baggs when you need him; I know he was with me last year when I was pushing a Nixon trade.  I think at that time it involved Konerko or Lee and then a reliever.

lol ..sorry jas.. the green thing doesnt work for me ......i was just making comment to his little blunder the other day and how fitting it would be here on the south side with all the blunders we seem to be making since the season started..... didnt mean any harm...i like trot as a player.... and the last guy i recall doing that very same thing was mora of the o's in a game against us (us scoring 1 or 2 runs from it) last year in baltimore........its ok everyone brain farts once in a while... it was trots turn... and baggs will be back soon.. his computer blew up in the last storms we had here....

.. after nixons dumbass move tossing the ball to the fans with onlyt 2 outs.. he should fit right in with this team full of misfit players..................that would be exactly what we need to totaly suck royal around here........ :D  :D

We don't need Nixon's help. This team sucks "royal" without him here already :lol:

See how the team does in the next 5-10 games. If this team plays under .500 ball over the next 2 weeks....Manuel is gone. We are playing the Blue Jays, Tigers, and Indians over the next 2 weeks or so.....the only good team out of the bunch is the Jays, and they look to be a .500 team too.

He's gotta try to rally his troops....because this is Manuel's last stand.

I'm usually right with Phil Rogers, but I'm not sure that firing Manuel would do much good - granted, the Sox look as bad as we've seen in a long time. The best analysis in the article had to do with possible trade options that would break up the middle of the lineup (Konerko, Thomas, Lee). I know the Sox have tried to pawn Lee before; while Lidle isn't a great pitcher, I always wanted that Lee for Lidle trade to go down. A similar trade with another club (Baltimore?) that has some decent pitching but needs offense would be nice. Trading Thomas would be better, but I think we all know that is a pipe dream.

We can fire Manuel, then Backman, then Valentine, but until we get a group of players on the field who can play the game the right way, the team won't win. I don't think the Sox are that far off - we have some very talented players and some good prospects (pitching and hitting) in the minors. But we have this slow, right handed hitting line up that produces more excuses and double plays than RBIs.

I'm usually right with Phil Rogers, but I'm not sure that firing Manuel would do much good - granted, the Sox look as bad as we've seen in a long time.  The best analysis in the article had to do with possible trade options that would break up the middle of the lineup (Konerko, Thomas, Lee).  I know the Sox have tried to pawn Lee before;  while Lidle isn't a great pitcher, I always wanted that Lee for Lidle trade to go down.  A similar trade with another club (Baltimore?) that has some decent pitching but needs offense would be nice.  Trading Thomas would be better, but I think we all know that is a pipe dream.

We can fire Manuel, then Backman, then Valentine, but until we get a group of players on the field who can play the game the right way, the team won't win.  I don't think the Sox are that far off - we have some very talented players and some good prospects (pitching and hitting) in the minors.  But we have this slow, right handed hitting line up that produces more excuses and double plays than RBIs.

Great Post and I just want to say welcome aboard.

One trade I've really liked for a long time is Ponson for Carlos Lee. I know that has been brought up numerous times and I've been a big Sidney Ponson fan for a while. I think he has very good stuff and could turn into a really good #2 pitcher, but on the Sox he'd be a #3. He can throw a ton of innings, throw an ocassional gem, and keep the Sox in the game more often then not. Then with Loiaza and Wright you could move Garland or Wright to the pen which opens the possibility of dealing Konerko as well (Moving him and one of the relievers to Boston or maybe the Yankees to pick up some talent, one of which is an everyday player from the left side.

We definetely need a shakeup. Put some young plaers in there, let Jose go, PK, Frank. If we trade this guys we would get good players in return. Rick White is horrible, what is KW waiting to get this guy out of this team??? Let him go to the Cards, Jon G too, MB maybe. JD Drew would be a great fit. Trot Nixon too. We can make a new team and better team if we trade this guys and trade wise.

The hiring of Bobby Valentine would be a diaster and might be the one action that would most anger me in my entire life. The man's record is worse than Manuel's in every way and he has never won a thing. As well, consider what he did to the Mets.

f*** no to Bobby Valentine.

Please for those who support his guy who happens to be available because he was fired for destroying the Mets and is nothing more than a colorful if un-insightful meida personality - look up his total managerial record. It sucks big time.

A panic move to shake up an underperforming team that is 4 games under and not out of anything will indeed shake things up as we plunge in the standings with the upheaval and disarray that he would bring. Criticism of Manuel for what happened to the Sox since 2000 is sheer hypocrasy if one touts Valentine given what happened to the Mets following 2000 with Valentine as manager.

If we need to make a managerial change - still an if with me, I prefer the GM to go - lets get someone with a future, someone new, think outside the box, get someone other than retread and a has been and a good old boy who is a real chuckle as a tv guru. We might as well get Paula Abdul as Bobby Valentine - she also is good on tv and at least she has never f***ed up a number of teams as Valentine has.

If we need a new manager, Wally Backman deserves to be the choice. He is a winner and knows the players, and they have performed for him.

The hiring of Bobby Valentine would be a diaster and might be the one action that would most anger me in my entire life.  The man's record is worse than Manuel's in every way and he has never won a thing.  As well, consider what he did to the Mets.   

f*** no to Bobby Valentine.

Plese for those who support his guy who happens to be available because he was fired for destroying the Mets and is nothing more than a colorful if un-insightful meida personality -  look up his total managerial record.  It sucks big time.

A panic move to shake up an underperforming team that is 4 games under and not out of anything will indeed shake things up as we plunge in the standings with the upheval and disarray that he would bring.  Criticism of Manuel for what happened to the Sox since 2000 is sheer hypocrasy if one touts Valentine given what happened to the NMets following 2000 with Valentine as manager.

If we need to make a managerial change - still an if we me, I prefer the GM to go - lets get someone with a future, someone new, think outside the box, get someone other than retread and a has been and a good old boy who is a real chuckle as a tv guru.  We might as well Paula Abdul as Bobby Valentine - she also is good on tv and at least she has never f***ed up a number of teams as Valentine has.

If we need a new manager, Wally Backman deserves to be the choice.  he is a winner and knows the players, and they have performed for him.

Ain't it frustrating as hell when you know you've got a point and no one seems to be listening? I'm with you on Valentine. He's entertaining as hell but a 100 per cent con. Wonder if he'd wear a disguise in the Sox dugout? OTOH Backman might be what the Sox need right now.

Ain't it frustrating as hell when you know you've got a point and no one seems to be listening?  I'm with you on Valentine. He's entertaining as hell but a 100 per cent con. Wonder if he'd wear a disguise in the Sox dugout?  OTOH Backman might be what the Sox need right now.

You and I qualify as old people.

The tv generation sees someone on the tube and thinks: quality because they are so damned smart-assed witty!

When they have lived a little longr, they may relaize that old, washed up has beens who were never any good retire to tv sports commentary land.

Of all the horrible things that I have seen on the Sox lo these many years, hiring Bobby Valentine would rank as the worst move ever. I'd rarter have Hawk back as GM and Bebington as manager then see Valentine with a Sox uniform on, and those are my ultimate very harshest words.

Does anyone care why the Mets were so fast to dump him and get Art Howe? Does anyone look at his record and compare it to JMs? Does anyone care that in 15 year he has neverm ever won a division title? 15 years and never won one! Not one! In 15 years! What the f*** do we want that managing our team for?

Remember kids, Valentine is nothing more than a Valentin with the E already permanently attached.

One trade I've really liked for a long time is Ponson for Carlos Lee.  I know that has been brought up numerous times and I've been a big Sidney Ponson fan for a while.  I think he has very good stuff and could turn into a really good #2 pitcher, but on the Sox he'd be a #3.  He can throw a ton of innings, throw an ocassional gem, and keep the Sox in the game more often then not. Then with Loiaza and Wright you could move Garland or Wright to the pen which opens the possibility of dealing Konerko as well (Moving him and one of the relievers to Boston or maybe the Yankees to pick up some talent, one of which is an everyday player from the left side.

Konerko/Garland for Mora/Gibbons/Ponson

One trade I've really liked for a long time is Ponson for Carlos Lee.  I know that has been brought up numerous times and I've been a big Sidney Ponson fan for a while.  I think he has very good stuff and could turn into a really good #2 pitcher, but on the Sox he'd be a #3.  He can throw a ton of innings, throw an ocassional gem, and keep the Sox in the game more often then not. Then with Loiaza and Wright you could move Garland or Wright to the pen which opens the possibility of dealing Konerko as well (Moving him and one of the relievers to Boston or maybe the Yankees to pick up some talent, one of which is an everyday player from the left side.

Konerko/Garland for Mora/Gibbons/Ponson

They aren't stupid. They know Paul has an issue. And Garland blows. Toss Mark in there and maybe we'd get a bite on it.

And before I get screamed at for even considering getting rid of Mark.. guys, his heart is not here. As much as I like Mark, I think he wants to be somewhere else. I seriously doubt this is just a $$ issues too. I just think he wants to be hear his family. I think he'd be out of it in Baltimore, too. The only place Mark is going to be a 20 game winner is St Louis.

Guest JimH

I can understand a guy wanting to be near his family, but if "his heart isn't in it" is the reason why he's struggling ... then he needs to grow up a little bit. He's playing major league baseball, getting paid quite nicely to do it, and should focus on the task at hand.

Second, Chicago isn't that far from St. Louis. It's not like he's pitching in Montreal or something.

Third, I suspect the main reason why he's struggling is the league has caught up to him just a bit and he needs to make some adjustments. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong physically.