Anyone else find it BS that Florida....

wilmot825

FWIW, from everything I've read, Arizona likes Paul Lo Duca. New York likes Javier Vazquez.

I also continually see Rowand mention how Lo Duca is a good catcher, OPS be damned, that he is a good guy in the clubhouse and well liked by fans and players alike, and that he handles a pitching staff magnificently. I am almost tempted to say that if a Sox fan talks s*** about Lo Duca, they have to talk the same exact s*** about Pierzynski.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
It's even worse when you realize that both Bengie Molina and Ramon Hernandez want around $6-$7 million a year and are far better catchers than Lo Duca.  This trade just makes no sense whatsoever and I can see why Mets fans are pissed off about it.

The reported offers for Molina and Hernandez were 3-4 years for Varitek kind of money. That doesn't make the LoDuca deal any better but the alternatives not as impressive.

QUOTE(hotlanta13 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
The reported offers for Molina and Hernandez were 3-4 years for Varitek kind of money.  That doesn't make the LoDuca deal any better but the alternatives not as impressive.

If either Molina or Hernandez makes Jason Varitek money, I'm gonna scream

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
They have now dumped catcher Paul Lo Duca to the Mets for prospects....I guess if u want anyone from Florida, just give up crap...Hey have Kenny try for Dontrelle for like idk...Borchard?

I don't understand why you think it's BS, the Marlins can do whatever they want with their players. Besides the fire sale strategy has worked for them, look how they traded off that first WS team and then won again a few years later.

Yeah, but there should be some type of MLB policy in place that prevents stuff like this from happening. The same thing goes for the Yankees and now the Mets outrageous contracts, that should be stopped as well. A team shouldn't have to sell off its high priced players every 3-5 years to stay competitive, or because they can't get a new stadium.

The Marlins organization is doing this to completely justify their move. Unlike when the Browns just left CLE for BAL, the Marlins are making their fans leave before the team moves. In doing this, they are giving away some of their top players for prospects, which most people always say are just prospects until they do something. I know some of the deals had nice prospects, but the Marlins basically advertised that they having a firesale.

This is just bad for baseball. I wouldn't be surprised if they break the record for the losses in a season. They are only keeping Willis and Cab, and how would you feel if you were one of those players. There is no way you can make this into a positive situation except for the teams that are getting proven Major Leaguers for prospects.

Just my 2 cents.

Check this thread out:

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...showtopic=54110

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
I don't know.  I like what they got in exchange for Beckett, Delgado & Lo Duca.  I think the Castillo trade is the only move where they didn't get as much as they could have.

They did better than I expected with Castillo. Since Luis hurt his hip he has not been the player he was when the signed his contract, he's a $2-3 million player making $5.75 IRC, and I think there is another year after this one. From what I see in the papers, they don't expect him to ever get all his speed back.

He is still a very good player, just not the same guy who's great play led to the big contract. The Twinks are taking a risk on him, keep an eye peeled to see if 81 games on turf wears him down. Between the contract and the injury, the Marlins were not going to get a lot for him.

A note about LoDuca..He is a first half player, who declines after some time.

Marlins are doing this becuase of the lack of fan support, they realize that this is not the year, and with the weak FA market they can rob teams of their prospects. I think its a great move, Willis and Cabrea are young enough to where they can build around and stil compete in 2 years.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 06:36 AM)
Yeah, but there should be some type of MLB policy in place that prevents stuff like this from happening.  The same thing goes for the Yankees and now the Mets outrageous contracts, that should be stopped as well.  A team shouldn't have to sell off its high priced players every 3-5 years to stay competitive, or because they can't get a new stadium. 

The Marlins organization is doing this to completely justify their move.  Unlike when the Browns just left CLE for BAL, the Marlins are making their fans leave before the team moves.  In doing this, they are giving away some of their top players for prospects, which most people always say are just prospects until they do something.  I know some of the deals had nice prospects, but the Marlins basically advertised that they having a firesale.

This is just bad for baseball.  I wouldn't be surprised if they break the record for the losses in a season.  They are only keeping Willis and Cab, and how would you feel if you were one of those players.  There is no way you can make this into a positive situation except for the teams that are getting proven Major Leaguers for prospects.

Just my 2 cents.

Check this thread out:

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...showtopic=54110

If fans don't come out, then the team doesn't gain revenue. If the team doesn't gain revenue, they can't play their players. The Marlins pretty much went for it last year(WS and trying to get the fans to come out for a marquee player in Delgado) and they still wouldn't come out. With contracts increasing in price, you can't continue to pay with no revenue. That's why they're doing this.

I don't think the Marlins dumping players is necessarily a bad thing. They did it once before and in the past 10 years, only the Yankees have won more World Series. In fact, I think dumping players is smart. They get what they need from their players, dump them for prospects, build up the prospects, rent players to win the World Series (see Ivan Rodriguez), dump again. They are getting prospects for nothing. They had a legitimate chance of winning last year so they signed Delgado. They didn't win, didn't want to spend, so they dump and get prospects and start the process over.

Why waste money on salaries if you really don't think you have a legitimate chance of winning? They are smart with money unlike the Rangers, Mets and Phillies who all over spend and go no where. Whey give in to the overpaying of players.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
They have now dumped catcher Paul Lo Duca to the Mets for prospects....I guess if u want anyone from Florida, just give up crap...Hey have Kenny try for Dontrelle for like idk...Borchard?

LOL!! Maybe if KW gets the Florida GM good and drunk at the Winter meetings.

LOL!

LMFAO. The Marlins are the reason that the Sox are a God send for staying within their budgetary allowances. We have a competitive team on the field every single year, because the Sox don't do something stupid every few years and spend tons of money, while losing a bunch on the bottom line. Then when it all catches up to the Marlins, they have to sell off everyone and suck for a period of years. I know the standard retort will be that the Marlins have won a couple of World Series, but there is no way that this model would work for the Sox, as they couldn't put enough butts in the seats to build up to the WS teams like the Marlins did, if the Sox were losing 90-100 games a year. If the Sox ever got to the point that they were losing that many games, they might as well fold the franchise because it would be DOA. This is exactly why I am glad that JR and company know how to keep a balanced budget, and have the baseball people to put good teams on the field, without paying yankees type prices for their players.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 07:49 AM)
A note about LoDuca..He is a first half player, who declines after some time.

Marlins are doing this becuase of the lack of fan support, they realize that this is not the year, and with the weak FA market they can rob teams of their prospects.  I think its a great move, Willis and Cabrea are young enough to where they can build around and stil compete in 2 years.

He is also incredibly over-rated by a lot of people (and under-rated by myself).