Tony Graffanino

DBAHO

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
Do you think there is any chance the Sox would consider Harris a candidate to play CF?

I don't think I'd be terrifically surprised to see him play a game or two out there next year...not after seeing Timo play 1b, but as a regular? No way.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
I'm pretty sure Tony G. is Konerko's best friend in baseball.  There won't be any problems bringing him back into the clubhouse.

Don't know about that, but Graffanino was a groomsman at Konerko's wedding.

Graffanino went to KC because they have a profoundly Christian ballclub - not that he didn't like the Sox, but that KC was the baseball equivalent of a Christian high school.

He'd be a kick-ass pinch hitter, I'll say that much. He ain't exactly Brooks Robinson with the glove, but you could give him an occasional start at 3B. He could also serve as an emergency DH. Give him somewhere between 250 and 300 ABs, and I do believe that he'd hit at or around .290 for us. I could be dead wrong, of course.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
Don't know about that, but Graffanino was a groomsman at Konerko's wedding.

Graffanino went to KC because they have a profoundly Christian ballclub - not that he didn't like the Sox, but that KC was the baseball equivalent of a Christian high school.

Maybe graff is the best Christian in the world but when he left the sox for Kansas city he left because he wanted to play everyday and Kenny W. did not see him as an everyday player. That's why.............................My choices are to go with Willie and Pablo both are great fielders and I see both improving.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Personally, I don't think Harris will be on the Sox next year.  I think he'll be traded in a minor deal in the next month or so to a team looking for a back-up 2nd baseman.

Which is sad IMO. I still think Willie has value...not only at second...but he's really not that bad of a CF option just in case BA and or Owens fail miserably at the plate or get hurt.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
go with Willie and Pablo both are great fielders and I see both improving.

Pablo Ozuna will turn 32 next August, so I think it's safe to say that any improvement on the defensive end is unlikely. And besides, based on what I have seen, he is an atrocious third baseman. You're saying that he's great, Forrest? Well, it ain't at 3B.

If we sign Tony G, who gets the ax? Don't come back with Timo, because Graff is an infielder. He doesn't offer the speed or the glove at 2b that Willie does. He doesn't have the speed tha Ozuna does. Neither Pablo or Tony are good at 3B, but Ozuna plays a better SS imo. I really don't see where Graffanino helps this club any more than either of the other two.

I've got no problem whatsoever of the White Sox adding Graff to the bench.

Timo is gone. There is no reason to carry that light-weight again. That million can be put to better use paying Crede's, Garland's, & AJ's arbit price.

Or better yet making a 3 yr offer to AJ. How can a team say they are so deep at OF to where they can trade Rowand & then keep Timo on this team?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
I really don't see where Graffanino helps this club any more than either of the other two.

It would be nice to have a reliable pinch hitter, though. I suppose that Tony would be just a one-trick pony, but every team needs a John Mabry or Lennie Harris.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
It would be nice to have a reliable pinch hitter, though.  I suppose that Tony would be just a one-trick pony, but every team needs a John Mabry or Lennie Harris.

I'll give that one, but that's about it. Still, I think replacing Harris or Ozuna with Graffanino generally weakens the team.

Edited by YASNY

The Sox could do worse than Graffanino. I'd rather have Mueller or someone more of a 3B. If Crede goes down for an extended length of time, I'd rather have Ozuna to replace him than Graffanino. However, if Mueller replaced Crede, I'd be much more confident. Then again, I've never been a big fan of Graffanino.

I think Harris would be a decent option as a back up in center. He's sort of a Juan Pierre lite type of player.

As far as a back up infielder goes, I think Bellhorn would be an ideal fit. He'd be cheap, can play 2nd & 3rd, lefty hitter who gets on base.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
Pablo Ozuna will turn 32 next August, so I think it's safe to say that any improvement on the defensive end is unlikely.  And besides, based on what I have seen, he is an atrocious third baseman.  You're saying that he's great, Forrest?  Well, it ain't at 3B.

Ozuna's throwing arm is not the greatest but he did make some catches off the line that Crede usually doesn't make

If we sign Tony G, who gets the ax?  Don't come back with Timo, because Graff is an infielder.  He doesn't offer the speed or the glove at 2b that Willie does.  He doesn't have the speed tha Ozuna does.  Neither Pablo or Tony are good at 3B, but Ozuna plays a better SS imo.  I really don't see where Graffanino helps this club any more than either of the other two.

Timo.

Podsednik

Anderson

Dye

Borchard

Ozuna

That's five outfielders.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?...ll=1&thispage=2
Another free agent of interest is Tony Graffanino, who ended last season as Boston's starting second baseman but would be a utility man with the Yankees. Cashman said some teams have expressed interest in trading for Tony Womack, who doesn't figure in the Yankees' plans, but a deal has been hard to consummate.