Juan Pierre a Cub

Steve9347

Cubs acquire Pierre for three pitchers

ESPN.com news services

DALLAS -- The fire sale continues.

The Florida Marlins have tentatively agreed on a four-player deal that would send Juan Pierre to the Chicago Cubs, for three young pitchers -- Sergio Mitre and prospects Renyel Pinto and Ricky Nolasco, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported early Wednesday.

The deal is pending physicals examinations.

So far this offseason, the Marlins have traded Carlos Delgado, Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell, Luis Castillo, Paul Lo Duca and Guillermo Mota. Pitcher A.J. Burnett, who signed with the Toronto Blue Jays on Tuesday, left via free agency.

The 28-year-old Pierre hit .276 and stole 57 bases this past season and is eligible for arbitration. He earned $3.7 million last season.

Pierre is expected to lead off and play center field in Chicago.

ok cubbies, now you only need 2 more MLB ready outfielders.

That's a solid move for the Cub. Mitre is a 5th starter at best, and prospects can flop at any time.

If Murton is anything close to the hitter he was for them last year, then they only need one outfielder. Corey with a K needs to be moved, for his own sake and theirs.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with that Tampa deal offer still on the table. If it's Huff, I think they have their third outfielder.

It is good in the sense the Cubs gave up nothing, but look at Pierre's history. He only walks around 40 times a year and with the exception of a year or two, has an OBP of .330.

I don't know if he will fail or not, but won't be surprised if he doesn't deliver.

Yes this is getting ridculous. We now have holes in LF, CF, 2B, and C. I dont think Josh Willingham is good enough to start at the MLB level, but he is right now our starting catcher, but I still think we need another. But we have these huge gaping holes at 4 positions...

Delgado for Petit and Jacobs(good move, Jacobs is a good 1B, that filled a hole...good job Beinfest)

Lowell, Beckett, Mota for Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez, Jesus Delgado, and another MiLB pitcher(once again, good move...filled the hole at 2B, but would getting Shoppach instead of Delgado and the other pitcher of been that hard?)

Castillo for Bowyer and Tyler...two pitchers, yet no 2B

Lo Duca for Gaby Hernandez and MiLB pitcher...bad deal

Pierre for Sergio Mitre, Renyel Pinto, and some other thrower blah blah

So, we trade a power hitting first baseman, a leadoff hitter with a career average over .300 and had 241 hits in 2004, a (3X)gold glove 2nd baseman, a gold glove 3B, and an all star catcher, and we get two...count them two...position prospects in return, and only one filled a position that was vacated. Yet we traded two pitchers, and got 11 pitching prospects back, in a system that is already loaded with quality young arms. A system that took 5 pitchers in the first round of last years draft.

Keep Bowyer, Tyler, Delgado, and Hernandez, trade the rest to fill the rest of our holes with prospects at their respective positions. Please. We need Delgado and Bowyer in the pen, Tyler for the rotation until Volstad is ready, and well Hernandez is just 21.

Sanchez and Petit are commodities, teems need good young cheap MLB ready pitching. TB comes to mind. Cincinnatti really comes to mind. You know Oakland and KC would probably be interested. Both LA teams.

Sure, 13 players in return for 7 is good, espicially when you hear some of those names. But, when 5 of the players dealt are position players and 11 in return are pitchers, that is lopsided and really doesn't favor us.

Please spin these guys somewhere else Beinfest, I beg of you.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
They gave up the two best pitchers in their system (with arms that aren't going to fall off).

I read that both of them had setbacks when the Cubs tried to promote them to AAA. They performed well in AA, but that's no guarantee that they'd ever make the majors.

They needed a player like Pierre for their offense badly, and it's worth giving up prospects and a low-end starter like Mitre to get him.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
Yes this is getting ridculous.  We now have holes in LF, CF, 2B, and C.  I dont think Josh Willingham is good enough to start at the MLB level, but he is right now our starting catcher, but I still think we need another.  But we have these huge gaping holes at 4 positions...

Delgado for Petit and Jacobs(good move, Jacobs is a good 1B, that filled a hole...good job Beinfest)

Lowell, Beckett, Mota for Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez, Jesus Delgado, and another MiLB pitcher(once again, good move...filled the hole at 2B, but would getting Shoppach instead of Delgado and the other pitcher of been that hard?)

Castillo for Bowyer and Tyler...two pitchers, yet no 2B

Lo Duca for Gaby Hernandez and MiLB pitcher...bad deal

Pierre for Sergio Mitre, Renyel Pinto, and some other thrower blah blah

So, we trade a power hitting first baseman, a leadoff hitter with a career average over .300 and had 241 hits in 2004, a (3X)gold glove 2nd baseman, a gold glove 3B, and an all star catcher, and we get two...count them two...position prospects in return, and only one filled a position that was vacated.  Yet we traded two pitchers, and got 11 pitching prospects back, in a system that is already loaded with quality young arms.  A system that took 5 pitchers in the first round of last years draft. 

Keep Bowyer, Tyler, Delgado, and Hernandez, trade the rest to fill the rest of our holes with prospects at their respective positions.  Please.  We need Delgado and Bowyer in the pen, Tyler for the rotation until Volstad is ready, and well Hernandez is just 21. 

Sanchez and Petit are commodities, teems need good young cheap MLB ready pitching.  TB comes to mind.  Cincinnatti really comes to mind.  You know Oakland and KC would probably be interested.  Both LA teams.

Sure, 13 players in return for 7 is good, espicially when you hear some of those names.  But, when 5 of the players dealt are position players and 11 in return are pitchers, that is lopsided and really doesn't favor us. 

Please spin these guys somewhere else Beinfest, I beg of you.

Don't be so quick to condemn these deals. Everybody needs pitching. The Sox have been drafting pitching, pitching, pitching for years and then trading them for veteran position players to fill needs. I think the Marlins have a plan and it'll prove to be a good one. You may have to suffer for a year, as it takes time for a plan to come together. Next off season, they may trading these guys for solid ML position players, along with cash to pay a large hunk of their salaries.

I'd rather trade them for good position prospects right now. TB would probably take Mitre for Gathright. Throw in another prospect to Tampa Bay and we have Reid Brignac, or see if they will bite for Upton. Either way, we fill the need @2B and CF. Now all we need is a good young LF. Seattle wants Villone back, package him with a prospect for Jeremy Reed. There, our OF and IF is complete, maybe another young C somewhere since all we have is Willingham...all bat and no D, and Jourgenson and Treanor, all D and no bat.

We have a bullpen already with Bowyer, Kensing, Tankersly, Bostick, Resop, Delgado, and Messenger.

Use Tyler as the #4 starter next year and the year after as a stop gap for Chris Volstad.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
I read that both of them had setbacks when the Cubs tried to promote them to AAA. They performed well in AA, but that's no guarantee that they'd ever make the majors.

They needed a player like Pierre for their offense badly, and it's worth giving up prospects and a low-end starter like Mitre to get him.

They didn't do too well at AAA, but they were both promoted at the trail end of their respective seasons and between them have a total of only 17 starts at AAA. They are both young (22 and 23) and have quality aggregate minor league numbers.

There's definitely a chance they will amount to little in the majors, but people shouldn't think that the Cubs didn't give up much. Two of your best trading chips for only one guaranteed year of a slap hitter like Pierre isn't a steal by any means.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
It is good in the sense the Cubs gave up nothing, but look at Pierre's history. He only walks around 40 times a year and with the exception of a year or two, has an OBP of .330.

Pierre has had an obp twice under .350 in his career. That's the exception not the rule. Pierre is a damn good leadoff hitter who just had a down year last season, he's an absolute great fit for the cubs. Very solid move here by Hendry.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
this sucks

the cubs give up nothing and get a good leadoff hitter in return.

Those 2 pitchers Pinto, Nolasco are very good pitching prospects I seen them both too many times this year. Pinto is a 22 year old lefty with some nasty stuff he was started in AAA this season and struggled he was promoted to soon but when he came back down to West Tenn the first week of May he was awesome the rest of the season he led the SL in K's per 9 innings at 11.62. Nolasco also has good stuff led the SL in K's with 173 he is only 23 and has never seen AAA ball yet. The 2 combined in the SL were 24-6 2.75 ERA and 301 K's. So this deal actually has the chance to be great for the Marlins

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
Those 2 pitchers Pinto, Nolasco are very good pitching prospects I seen them both too many times this year.  Pinto is a 22 year old lefty with some nasty stuff he was started in AAA this season and struggled he was promoted to soon but when he came back down to West Tenn the first week of May he was awesome the rest of the season he led the SL in K's per 9 innings at 11.62.  Nolasco also has good stuff led the SL in K's with 173 he is only 23 and has never seen AAA ball yet.  The 2 combined in the SL were 24-6 2.75 ERA and 301 K's.  So this deal actually has the chance to be great for the Marlins

We'll see if they ever make it AAA, let alone MLB. You're right though, it could work out well for the Marlins, but they gave up a proven MLB player for decent AA prospects.

The Marlins got a good taste of what those 2 can do in the SL Playoffs as Pinto, Nolasco went games 1 and 2 the Carolina Mudcats did not score a run in those 2 games only had 5 hits and struck out 21 times. I just think Pinto being a lefty has a chance to be a top of the line starter and the Marlins got them selves a solid package for a fire sale.