Sox could offer best package for Tejada

SSH2005

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
Who said anything about contracts getting smaller, if you read my posts, Garland will not be one of the top pitchers out there.  He wont make as much money as the elite or top three arms on the market, because only a certain amount of teams are willing to overpay for arms.  Thats all.

The top arms always make more than the middle arms anyway. With the combination of age, health, potential, and statistics, Jon Garland is going to be one of the most desirable arms on the market next year. If AJ Burnett is worth 5 years at $11 million per year, dispite his sub .500 career record and MAJOR injury history, and you are telling me that contracts won't get smaller next year, it just goes to reason that Garland could get more years and more money as he is a much more attractive pitcher to a team who needs pitching help, and way less of a risk.

You also seem to be forgetting the zero sum game that is free agency, for every player that leaves, someone has to replace that pitcher. All saying there will be a bunch of good pitchers on the market next year means is that a bunch of teams will be potentially losing good pitchers and have the need to sign someone to fill their shoes. These things don't happen in a vaccuum.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
huh??  :huh

She was responding to me. I said put Garland's ass on the plane instead of McCarthy because Jon is dead set on testing the market. Then she said something about giving Konerko's contract back and gave me the eye roll.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
She was responding to me.  I said put Garland's ass on the plane instead of McCarthy because Jon is dead set on testing the market.  Then she said something about giving Konerko's contract back and gave me the eye roll.

Her reply was meant as sarcasm.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
She was responding to me.  I said put Garland's ass on the plane instead of McCarthy because Jon is dead set on testing the market.  Then she said something about giving Konerko's contract back and gave me the eye roll.

Yep! Steff's eye roll is much more effective that anyone else's. :D

Seems to me that Kenny is getting the impression that the Sox won't be able to keep Garland next year. That's why he made the Vazquez deal.

So now, the Sox have a surplus of in-demand starting pitchers. They're not going to use a 6-man rotation. I don't think McCarthy will be used as a long reliever. So, someone's going to get moved.

It makes the most sense to trade a guy like Garland if the belief is that he'll be too expensive for the Sox to keep after next season is over. May as well get something of value for him. Despite being at the end of his contract, Garland probably has very high trade value. After all, the team receiving him would be getting a pitcher who just had a fabulous season and is pitching for a new contract.

It doesn't make sense to trade McCarthy; it worsens the problem caused by Garland's (assumed) free agent departure. I think that's what the Sox are driving at. If they do trade for Tejada, I would much rather see them trade away Jon than McCarthy.

Why wouldn't the Sox want to get a player of Tejada's caliber if they decide to move Garland? The team's financial situation is probably as good as it has ever been; they can afford to spend what Tejada is making.

Anyway, this is all my own musing, not supported by anything other than speculation, so take it for what it's worth.

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3:

i think people are still in shock over what is happening this off-season, and refuse to let go of the cash-conscious way they have felt the last 20 years.

I think our payroll is taking quite the hike this year... this is what winning a World Series does!

i agree completely. it's the same as any other business- you have to spend $ to make more $. does anyone know what our payroll is going to look like if a reasonable tejada deal goes down? i cant even speculate because i dont know how much tejada is paid, can anyone else?

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
I can totally see where you are coming from with the attitude thing.  But that is what was said of AJ and Jurasic Carl in the past.  It is all an attitude that Ozzie creates for any player in that club house.

There have never been any reports of Tejada being a bad teammate or a problem in the clubhouse. All I've ever hear about him is what a great guy he is. I would welcome him into Chicago with open arms.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
Are there any other reports on this possible deal besides a small blurb from Bruce?

I've just heard the Levine report, in fact FWIW, Buster Olney was on Dan Patrick and when asked if Tejada would be trade, he said there's only a 1% chance, basically the O's do not want to trade him and all, and he thinks he would have to pull a T.O. to get traded

QUOTE(timotime @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
i agree completely. it's the same as any other business- you have to spend $ to make more $. does anyone know what our payroll is going to look like if a reasonable tejada deal goes down? i cant even speculate because i dont know how much tejada is paid, can anyone else?

How much has it really gone up?

We resigned Paulie and landed Thome.

Thome = Thomas and Everett + 1 mil?

Paulie = 4 million dollar raise?

Mackowiack is making less than Marte = -1.5 mil?

El Duque + Vizcaino is how much less than Vazquez will make?

It doesn't seem to me like it is that big of a jump so far. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to be. Does anyone have the exact numbers?

GARLAND AND URIBE FOR TEJADA IS PERFECT FOR BOTH TEAMS.

NEXT YEAR THE BOTH OF THEM MAKE ALMOST THE SAME MONEY AS TEJADA. THE O'S WOULD OVERPAY TO KEEP GARLAND LONG TERM.

TEJADA IS ONE OF THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE GAME. HE IS EXACTLY WHAT THE SOX NEED.

THE SOX WOULD BE STUPID TO TRADE McCARTHY. HE "MIGHT" BE OUR BEST STARTING PITCHER RIGHT NOW AND HE WILL BE CHEAP FOR YEARS !

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
Miguel Tejada is a f***in stud but trading Brandon is just a no no for me and even for Miggy.  If we can somehow put together a package with Garland and Uribe and make it work then I'd be all for it.

I agree with you, Bmac should be off limits in this deal IMO.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
GARLAND AND URIBE FOR TEJADA IS PERFECT FOR BOTH TEAMS.

NEXT YEAR THE BOTH OF THEM MAKE ALMOST THE SAME MONEY AS TEJADA. THE O'S WOULD OVERPAY TO KEEP GARLAND LONG TERM.

TEJADA IS ONE OF THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE GAME. HE IS EXACTLY WHAT THE SOX NEED.

THE SOX WOULD BE STUPID TO TRADE McCARTHY. HE "MIGHT" BE OUR BEST STARTING PITCHER RIGHT NOW AND HE WILL BE CHEAP FOR YEARS !

CAPS LOCK alert! You do know you can turn it off right?