How good is Chris Young?

Ricky3353

Im sure most of you guys know more about baseball than i do, so how good is Chris Young gonna be? I know the Sox have Anderson and Jerry Owens, but Young was suppossed to be the fastest and the youngest. I really hope we didnt give away Andruw Jones here. Anyway, in Kenny I Trust, so im not gonna worry abou the trade too much.

QUOTE(Ricky3353 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
Im sure most of you guys know more about baseball than i do, so how good is Chris Young gonna be? I know the Sox have Anderson and Jerry Owens, but Young was suppossed to be the fastest and the youngest. I really hope we didnt give away Andruw Jones here. Anyway, in Kenny I Trust, so im not gonna worry abou the trade too much.

highest upside of any of the OFers in our system. rotoamerica had him as the number 11 overall prospect in all of baseball....ahead of the likes of verlander, barton, conor jackson, andy laroche, pie, quentin, zimmerman etc etc.....if he fills out his frame more, still only 21, he could be a stud. remember he was one of the younger players in teh southern league, and made the jump from low A, and played in a big time pitchers park. joe sheehan of baseball prospectus said he needs to cut down his K rate, but he increased his walk rate last year, so a decrease in Ks could be the next step. essentially hes gonna be a good lpayer in the bigs, maybe even a great one

Very good in terms of prospects. He's got the ability to be a perennial all star, but at the same time he has the chance to belly up. I don't see him busting and I see him turning into a 30-40 HR CFer, with potentially 50 HR power who will compete for gold gloves and hit for high avg's.

Ie, I think he's going to be great, but the odds of him actually fullfilling all that, not that great. Thats his ceiling though (ie, he's a high ceiling guy).

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
If he's this good a prospect, shouldn't we have gotten somebody better for him?

That's all I'm asking.

If he's this great why did we have to include 3 players in the deal?

The Sox wanted to give up Duque because of money and for all I know that was the same reason Viz was part of it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
Very good in terms of prospects.  He's got the ability to be a perennial all star, but at the same time he has the chance to belly up.  I don't see him busting and I see him turning into a 30-40 HR CFer, with potentially 50 HR power who will compete for gold gloves and hit for high avg's.

Ie, I think he's going to be great, but the odds of him actually fullfilling all that, not that great.  Thats his ceiling though (ie, he's a high ceiling guy).

How come when I say he's a possible 40/40 guy, I get mocked, but when you say he'll hit 30-40 and possibly 50 HR's, nothing is said to you?

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
How come when I say he's a possible 40/40 guy, I get mocked, but when you say he'll hit 30-40 and possibly 50 HR's, nothing is said to you?

You didnt say possible, your wording made it sound like he was guaranteed to be a 30/30 guy.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
Yes, you said possible 40/40, you said he is going to be a 30/30 guy like it was a guarantee.

I think he will be a 30/30 guy. Its not guarenteed, but I merely gave what I thought on the matter.

And anyway, most people had a problem with me saying 40/40, not 30/30.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)

I'd assume its because I'm pretty familiar with the farm system, plus I have a history of being pretty accurate when it comes to evaluating prospects (well I don't overhype them usually, Young may be the one exception cause I've been oozing and raving about him for a few years).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
I'd assume its because I'm pretty familiar with the farm system, plus I have a history of being pretty accurate when it comes to evaluating prospects (well I don't overhype them usually, Young may be the one exception cause I've been oozing and raving about him for a few years).

Is it because you're a powerful mod?

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)

If it makes you feel better, I think both of you are reaching a little bit. I'd say, realistically, he's a 20/30 guy. Based on his minor league statistics, Mike Cameron seems like a good comparison. Decent average, good power, very good speed, lots of strike outs. But who knows? This is just my opinion, of course, but to predict 30/30, 40/40, or him hitting 50 homers, when you haven't even seen him against major league pitching, sounds a little overboard if you ask me.

And if people around here seem to take Chisoxfn's word over yours, I wouldn't take it too personal. The guy knows his s*** when it comes to the minor leagues. While I disagree with him here, I'll even admit that it would probably be better to take his word over mine on the topic.

But I stand by my prediction! :D

Edited by KevHead0881

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
If it makes you feel better, I think both of you are reaching a little bit.  I'd say, realistically, he's a 20/30 guy. Based on his minor league statistics, Mike Cameron seems like a good comparison.  Decent average, good power, very good speed, lots of strike outs.  But who knows? This is just my opinion, of course, but to predict 30/30, 40/40, or him hitting 50 homers, when you haven't even seen him against major league pitching, sounds a little overboard if you ask me.

There is a reason why he's ranked by some to be one of the 10 best prospects in baseball. The guy has some serious power and he shattered all kinds of records this year in Bham (a total pitchers park). The guy has one of those "live" bats.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
There is a reason why he's ranked by some to be one of the 10 best prospects in baseball.  The guy has some serious power and he shattered all kinds of records this year in Bham (a total pitchers park).  The guy has one of those "live" bats.

Well, I edited my post a bit to reflect that you know more about this than I do, but I still think 20/30 is a safe prediction. And for the record, I believe he'll be damn good. Still have no problem with the trade (but I guess thats for another thread). :)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)

Show off.

Unless he cuts down his strikeouts, he will be another Mike Cameron.

I know Jason has been a huge fan of Young for a while, with good reason, but to say at worst he'll be Mike Cameron is an overstatement IMO. Let's not forget that Mike Cameron is a pretty damn good MLB player.

I saw a guy from Baseball Prospectus the other day on ESPN News talking about Young and he seemed to believe the same thing I do, Young is a high ceiling guy, but the strikeout numbers are disturbing.

Young is an awesome combination of power and speed nontheless and was the major chip for us to acquire Vazquez. I think his defense would be slightly less than that of Cameron's.