Damon signs with the Yankees

aboz56

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
Maybe the Red Sox bite the bullet this season and then go nuts next year when the free agent class is heads and shoulders above this current one.

Maybe the Red Sox learn the Lesson that Cano and Wang tried despereately to teach the Yankees last year, and plug in some cheap, young talent at a few spots and then spend their free agent dollars in smarter ways.

I agree with R&W on the fact that in three years Damn will be an albatross for the Yankees.

I also agree with chisoxfn that this was a good move for the Yankees ... but only in the short term.

As for that comment R&W made about liking the direction the Red Sox are heading, well I didn't know you were all that infatuated with DOWN ... because that's where they are headed right now. They may salvage some things this offseason, but right at the moment, it ain't looking to damn good.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
I agree with R&W on the fact that in three years Damn will be an albatross for the Yankees.

I also agree with chisoxfn that this was a good move for the Yankees ... but only in the short term.

As for that comment R&W made about liking the direction the Red Sox are heading,  well I didn't know you were all that infatuated with DOWN ... because that's where they are headed right now.  They may salvage some things this offseason, but right at the moment, it ain't looking to damn good.

You know, I'm not sure I agree with you on any part of that other than the "This contract will be an albatross" part.

I'm first of all not sure how good of a move this is for the Yankees...because it still puts money where they don't need it. Did the Yankees lose games last year because they didn't score enough runs or because they gave up too many? I would say the latter. This hardly helps that...his defense will be a slight upgrade over Williams, but his speed is obviously dropping, he has no throwing arm, and who knows if he can stay healthy (supposedly his shoulder was one of the reasons for his performance in the playoffs last year).

Furthermore, this sucks away dollars which could be spent next year to bring in a guy like Zito or Garland, or Derek Lee, each of whom would actually fill holes on that team. He's an upgrade over williams and Tony Womack, but that's really not saying anything.

Next, I'm not so sure the Red Sox are actually headed "Down" as much as they are hovering right now. They have 3 or 4 guys on their pitching staff who can be great if Healthy (Schilling, Beckett, Foulke), and they're bound to get lucky enough to get a full season from one of them. Mark Loretta has a career OBP better than Damon's. They still "Have" Manny and Ortiz. If they can convince Manny to somehow stay, then they still have one of the best, if not the best, lineups in baseball. Their problem is that they're stacked at some positions and vacant at others (they have like 3 guys at 3rd and 2nd base, no one at SS, 1b, or CF right now).

They need to shuffle people around to plug holes, but that's not as hard as trying to improve. Especially if they move some money in the process.

I dont know how many people watched SC today, but the Peter Gammons evaluation of the trade and subsequent list of things that need to happen(which he peddles off as things that will happen) was just short of insane. He has all of these crazy trade plausabilities, and the funny thing is that he doesnt take in account the massive amount of personnel needed to make these trades. He has Cabrera, Erstad, Glaus, Jeremy Reed, and a list of others who are coming to the Red Sox, but I was left asking myself "Who is going to be left on the Red Sox besides who they trade for?".

I knew Gammons would come through with some good old fashioned numb-skullness

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
As for that comment R&W made about liking the direction the Red Sox are heading,  well I didn't know you were all that infatuated with DOWN ... because that's where they are headed right now.  They may salvage some things this offseason, but right at the moment, it ain't looking to damn good.

the red sox are heading down because they didn't throw out 13 million dollars per to johnny damon? i disagree, my friend.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
the red sox are heading down because they didn't throw out 13 million dollars per to johnny damon?  i disagree, my friend.

So who replaces Damon? And who do you have to trade to do so?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
the red sox are heading down because they didn't throw out 13 million dollars per to johnny damon?  i disagree, my friend.

No. The Red Sox are headed down because they don't have a CF, SS, 1B or a leadoff hitter. Which is why I said it wasn't looking good at the moment and they could salvage things yet.

I wouldn't pay Damon that kind of money either. The BoSox can probably fill those holes, but sometimes you just can't make the moves you need to make (see Hendry). Until they do, things aren't looking real good in Beantown.

Forget Jeremy Reed for the moment;

The Red Sox are discussing Joey Gathright along with both Julio Lugo and Aubrey Huff in trade talks with the Rays.

A player for every hole in the Red Sox lineup, although there's certainly not much chance of them trading for all three. Gathright isn't the Red Sox's kind of player, and though the they could probably get away with having both him and Lugo in the starting lineup, they'd be taking too much of an offensive downgrade if they put Gathright in center and then signed Alex Gonzalez to play shortstop. Regardless, it's probably not going to be worth it in terms of the talent they'd need to surrender to acquire either Gathright or Lugo. Dec. 22 - 4:59 am et

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
Best five teams in the AL:

1) CHW

2) CLE

3) NYY

4) OAK

5) ANA

Notice who is not in there.

No way is Anaheim better than Boston. Right now Anaheim has a crappy rotation, a weakened pen, and no offense. They have a good mgr and a great defense.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
i was worried for a minute but then i remembered aboz is wrong more often than hes right and that every previous situation the sun has rised the next morning.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

I was sure right when I said we'd beat down the Red Sox this year in the playoffs.

Get back to your SonsofSamHorn Christmas party.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
No way is Anaheim better than Boston.  Right now Anaheim has a crappy rotation, a weakened pen, and no offense.  They have a good mgr and a great defense.

And Boston has a good rotation and a good bullpen? Spare me Gage.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
And Boston has a good rotation and a good bullpen?  Spare me Gage.

Its better than Anaheims. Stoneman is incompetent. I don't think Boston has had a great off-season, but they have added to there rotation and should have Foulke back at 100%.

For the record, as of now, I don't think either will make the playoffs.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 08:34 AM)
No.  The Red Sox are headed down because they don't have a CF, SS, 1B or a leadoff hitter.  Which is why I said it wasn't looking good at the moment and they could salvage things yet. 

I wouldn't necessarily agree with the latter two comments. Loretta has a career OBP of .365, and over the past three years, his OBP has been .390, .370, and .360.

And, I'm pretty sure that they're going to stick Youkilis or Lowell at first, either of which are huge upgrades over Kevin Millar.

As for the "best in the AL" lists, I'd go with the White Sox, Cleveland, Boston/Oakland/New York (tied), and Anahiem/Toronto/Minny. The AL is going to be real good this year. I'd say just about every team except for Tampa, Baltimore, and Detroit has improved. Should be a dogfight in every division.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
:lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting

I was sure right when I said we'd beat down the Red Sox this year in the playoffs.

Get back to your SonsofSamHorn Christmas party.

I don't think I disagreed with you. as i've said many times, congratulations white sox fans on the exceptional 2005 season.

and no.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
And Boston has a good rotation and a good bullpen?  Spare me Gage.

the red sox lose a very easily replaced .806 ops at the leadoff spot, and pretty much nothing else offensively as of right now. they have improved the bullpen immensely, and the rotation will be exceptional.

its far to early to guarantee anything, but the red sox will be a top five team in the american league next season.