For GOP only

Texsox

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
Not necessarily, the people at the hearing could have been there on a valid working visa, student visa, or could have been parents of undocumented children, etc.

If they were the first 2, then they wouldn't have been illegal, and if Dick claimed they were, that would have been a lie. If they were the third, then they either the parents, the kids, or both would have been illegal, then Dick would have lied about thier status being resolved.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
If they were the first 2, then they wouldn't have been illegal, and if Dick claimed they were, that would have been a lie. If they were the third, then they either the parents, the kids, or both would have been illegal, then Dick would have lied about thier status being resolved.

It's my understanding that legal aliens in our country that do not have permanent residency would also benefit from this act, no?

According to Wikipedia, this is what the DREAM act would do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act

This bi-partisan bill called The DREAM Act is a one time solution intended to provide a path to a permanent legal status for persons brought to the United States by their parents or guardians as children. This includes individuals with a current legal immigration status, individuals whose parents attempted to immigrate legally but were then denied legality after several years in application, and those initially brought here illegally at a young age.

To qualify, the immigrant student or soldier would have to meet certain requirements such as:

* Proof of having arrived in the United States at age 15 or younger.

* Proof of residence in the United States for a least five (5) consecutive years since their date of arrival.

* Must be between the ages of 12 and 30 at time of bill enactment.

* Having graduated from an American High School, or obtained a GED.

* "Good moral character," essentially defined as the absence of a significant criminal record (or any drug charges whatsoever).

* See below for more details.

During the six years of conditional status, the eligible immigrant would be required to either (1) graduate from a two-year community college, (2) complete at least two years towards a 4-year degree, or (3) serve two years in the U.S. military. After the six year period, an immigrant who meets at least one of these three conditions would be eligible to apply for legal permanent resident (green card) status. During their temporary time, immigrants would not be eligible for federal higher education grants such as Pell grants, though they would be able to apply for student loans and work study.

If the immigrant does not meet the educational or military service requirement within the six year time period, her or his temporary residence would be revoked and he or she would be subject to deportation. During the six years, the immigrant must not commit any crimes other than those considered non-drug related misdemeanors, regardless of whether or not they have already been approved for permanent status at the end of their six years. Being convicted of a major crime, or drug-related infraction would automatically remove the six year temporary residence status and he or she would be subject to deportation.

If the immigrant meets all of the conditions at the end of the 6-year conditional period, he or she would be granted a permanent green card with the same rights as a permanent resident alien, including the right to apply for U.S. citizenship.

Previous versions of the DREAM Act would restore a state's right in determining eligibility for in-state tuition. This provision was often misrepresented by critics of the measure as "free college" or as falsely claiming to "mandate all states to offer in-state tuition" to these immigrants. As a result it has been dropped and in the 2 most recent versions of the DREAM Act there was no language pertaining to in-state tuition[4].

An estimated 65,000 immigrant students who meet these requirements graduate from high school each year.[5]

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
It's my understanding that legal aliens in our country that do not have permanent residency would also benefit from this act, no?

Someone from Dickie's camp let it be known that there would be illegals there. When called upon it with the threat of having them arrested, they are suddenly 'not illegal'. Somewhere, there was a lie for political gain. Either they were not illegal, and that info got out to try and score sympathy political points, or they are illegal, and he lied to save his (and theirs) asses.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
According to Wikipedia, this is what the DREAM act would do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act

Its a nice way to take the "illegal" out of immigration the same way people have been trying to outlaw abortion and guns for decades. You just chip away at it little by little, and every once in a while pull out the sledgehammer and take a whack at it. If the whack doesn't work, you go back to chipping away again.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
Its a nice way to take the "illegal" out of immigration the same way people have been trying to outlaw abortion and guns for decades. You just chip away at it little by little, and every once in a while pull out the sledgehammer and take a whack at it. If the whack doesn't work, you go back to chipping away again.

This was part of the comprehensive reform package originally from what I understand. And I don't think that this is an unreasonable package. Adult children of illegal parents didn't have a choice as a toddler or child to be taken to the US. And I think it is entirely acceptable to offer them a legal path of citizenship once they've reached adulthood. Especially if the courtesy was not extended to their parents.

And to think, my silly father and mother went through the immigration process legally. Do you know how much money we could of saved with the taxes we didnt have to pay. Hell if my mother just crossed the border one year earlier, I could of been an anchor baby. Maybe my mother could of hidden in a church. I will have to tell my cousins to immediately head for the states, because they can be citizens in a matter of no time. Just get a high school degree, hide out for 5 years, and try not to get arrested. We could have the entire family over here in no time. My parents obviously missed the memo on how to get over here with the entire family. Damn legal immigration. Look at the money you have cost me. :lolhitting

Yemen free's USS Cole mastermind.

Thanks Yemen!

Jamal al-Badawi, who is wanted by the FBI, was convicted in 2004 of plotting, preparing and helping carry out the USS Cole bombing and received a death sentence that was commuted to 15 years in prison.

He and 22 others, mostly al-Qaida fighters, escaped from prison in 2004. But al-Badawi was granted his freedom after turning himself in 15 days ago and pledging loyalty to Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh, said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

Hopefully we find out where he is, and impose the first penalty on him. From Death Penalty, to 15 years to free as a bird. Nice system.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 12:02 AM)
Yemen free's USS Cole mastermind.

Thanks Yemen!

Hopefully we find out where he is, and impose the first penalty on him. From Death Penalty, to 15 years to free as a bird. Nice system.

Yemen is, and has been for a long time, a mess. Their government claims some degree of cooperation with the west in the war on terror, but that is a stretch. Really, the government has very little control over what goes on in that country. Heck, half the people there are permanent migrants anyway. And what little stability there is, it shouldn't be a surprise that the gov't in power will try to appease both sides to stay there. They did this during the cold war too, flirting with both the Soviets and the US (in that case as South Yemen, while North Yemen remained fairly independently minded).

Rhandi Rhodes = Ann Coulter of the left? Here is the audio clip, apparently Blackwater is buring California down so that they can build an HQ out there.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/pjc...ndi_rhodes1.flv

I started just doing Google searches to try and figure out. You know, arson, arson, it was like crazy trying to figure out why is that being downplayed? Why is that, you know, just a small part of the story? And you know, every time I look for it what comes up, believe it or not, is that Blackwater wants to move to San Diego and build this giant complex in San Diego right where most of the evacuations are taking place and you know.

You just know wherever there is fire, this administration will be out there doing what it does best and that is fanning the flames, you know. It just spooks me, I can’t explain to you how creepy this whole thing is that you know, you’ve got these fires. Some of them are thought to be the work of arsonists and in the same breath you’ve got a community that’s on fire that just recently protested Blackwater West. Just recently said no to Blackwater and apparently you don’t do that.

I mean, I don’t even know what to think. You know, nobody is saying Blackwater set the fires, that is nobody that doesn’t want their house burned down. Nobody is saying that, but it is all so bizarre that this is America and you have to sort of sit there and wonder … arson, same place Blackwater West wants to be, people protesting. And then you find out that some of the guys that used to work for Blackwater are now in Schwarzenegger’s administration.

It’s all so creepy.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 08:37 AM)
Rhandi Rhodes = Ann Coulter of the left? Here is the audio clip, apparently Blackwater is buring California down so that they can build an HQ out there.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/pjc...ndi_rhodes1.flv

Ann Coulter of the left... except a little less hate, and a little more valley-girl grammar.

Neither are worth our time or concern.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 08:54 AM)
Ann Coulter of the left... except a little less hate, and a little more valley-girl grammar.

Never heard of her, but from that sample, I'd concur.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 08:54 AM)

I haven't ever listened to her, or Coulter for that matter, but if this is representative of what goes on in her head, I have no use for her either.

All though a little irony in this situation is that some of the real whack job enviornmental groups have been known to commit really stupid illegal acts to further their cause. Personally I am waiting for someone to make the same comparision of a group like ELF on the right side of the radio dial.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
I haven't ever listened to her, or Coulter for that matter, but if this is representative of what goes on in her head, I have no use for her either.

All though a little irony in this situation is that some of the real whack job enviornmental groups have been known to commit really stupid illegal acts to further their cause. Personally I am waiting for someone to make the same comparision of a group like ELF on the right side of the radio dial.

The ELF aren't environmentalists any more or less than Al Qaeda are Muslims. Which is to say, they claim to be the penultimate example, but really they just use that set of beliefs as an enabler for their violence. They are terrorists.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 09:47 AM)
The ELF aren't environmentalists any more or less than Al Qaeda are Muslims. Which is to say, they claim to be the penultimate example, but really they just use that set of beliefs as an enabler for their violence. They are terrorists.

I have no problem with that assessment of ELF. Like I said, it was just an example...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 09:54 AM)
I have no problem with that assessment of ELF. Like I said, it was just an example...

And with a little time we kind find all sorts of examples. The firtst example I could think of was the Pro-Lifers that kill in the name of saving lives. :wacko:

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 02:55 AM)
Why anyone is listening or caring about what Durbin or Tancredo have to say about anything is beyond me. Two of the most shrill, useless voices in politics.

Doesn't say much for #2 Dem in Senate then.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)
Nor does it say much for what the GOP puts up as a Presidential candidate. What is your point?

Anyone can run for President and declare whatever party they want to.

Becoming the #2 in the Senate means your peers voted to put you there... There is a difference.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 01:52 PM)
Anyone can run for President and declare whatever party they want to.

Becoming the #2 in the Senate means your peers voted to put you there... There is a difference.

Can anyone be a Congressman from Colorado too?

Well, OK, don't answer that question. :lol:

I just find it amusing that I make a post specifically pointing out 2 idiots, 1 from each party, being useless shills... and then the response I get is "Dems suck, huh?!"