For GOP only

Texsox

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
I really wish the election cycle was so short that stuff like this and Thompson not knowing some B level person quit, would not be news. When it drags on for a couple years, little stuff like this actually has time to be news.

No way. It's important to know that Barrack Obama doens't wear a flag pin. That made my decision right there! :P

So the longer workweek is already biting the dust amidst bi-partisian b****ing. Apparently making 5 times the median wage doesn't mean they feel they need to put in 40 hour work weeks. The whining about family stuff also bothers me. This is a choice you make. If you choose to run for political office, you know that you will not be around your family nearly as much as you want to. Its not like you were held at gunpoint and force to work in Washington. If your kids are that important, do like the rest of the 300 million people in America do, and find another job. Meanwhile for $165k plus incredible benefits, I expect some work to actually get done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/27/washingt...agewanted=print

Democrats Plan a Shorter Workweek

By DAVID M. HERSZENHORN

WASHINGTON, Oct. 26 — Shortly after winning a majority last year, Democrats triumphantly declared that they would put Congress back to work, promising an “end to the two-day workweek.” And indeed, the House has clocked more time in Washington this year than in any other session since 1995, when Republicans, newly in control, sought to make a similar point.

But 10 months into the session, with their legislative agenda often in gridlock with the Bush administration and a big election year looming, the Democrats are now planning a lighter schedule when the 110th Congress begins its second year in mid-January.

The House majority leader, Representative Steny H. Hoyer of Maryland, told fellow Democrats this week that the House would not be in session next year on Fridays, except in June for work on appropriations bills.

Explaining that decision to reporters, Mr. Hoyer said, “I do intend to have more time for members to work in their districts and to be close to their families.”

His comments drew snickers from Republicans, who are quite happy to share their view that the American people did not get much value for all the extra time lawmakers spent in Washington.

“Is this a reward for our accomplishments in 2007?” asked Representative Roy Blunt of Missouri, the Republican whip.

And on Friday, President Bush once again hammered Congressional Democrats, accusing them of failing to meet basic responsibilities like approving annual budget bills and confirming his nominee for attorney general, Michael B. Mukasey.

“This is not what Congressional leaders promised when they took control of Congress earlier this year,” Mr. Bush said. “Congress needs to keep their promise, to stop wasting time, and get essential work done on behalf of the American people.”

The Democrats, by contrast, say that after 10 months of putting in longer days and weeks, they have made significant gains. They cited legislation, including an increase in the minimum wage and new ethics and lobbying rules, as well as in the nitty-gritty work of House committees, which they say has provided much-needed oversight of the Bush administration and will also set the stage for an ambitious agenda next year.

And they blame Mr. Bush and Republicans for Congress’s low approval ratings, which they say will only help the Democrats expand their majority in 2008.

“Certainly, it has been a sprint and a marathon at the same time this year,” said Representative Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. “We have accomplished a lot, especially on the domestic front.”

Mr. Van Hollen said he was not worried about Congress’s low approval ratings. “Every one of those polls also shows much stronger support for Democratic leadership than Republican leadership,” he said. “The president is lashing out because he recognizes that people see the White House as an obstacle to change.”

Still, Democrats conceded that the hectic pace had taken a toll, especially on lawmakers who must travel long distances home and who have small children. And members of Congress have not gotten a raise or cost-of-living increase this year.

On Wednesday, the House cast its one-thousandth roll-call vote of the year, the first time that it reached that mark since the Constitution was ratified. Democrats hailed the occasion, while Republicans sniped that only 106 of the votes were on bills ultimately signed into law, and that 45 of those bestowed names on post offices or other property.

“Unlike Congress, the American people do not mistake motion for progress,” said Representative Thaddeus G. McCotter, Republican of Michigan. “They want results. And given the approval ratings, they are certainly convinced they aren’t getting them.”

Mr. McCotter said changing the schedule was an example of Democrats’ breaking promises. “They said ‘five-day weeks,’ ” he said. And he scoffed at the notion that Mr. Hoyer was also responding to Republicans who wanted more time in their home districts.

“I wish he had that much concern and was as responsive to Republicans’ calls for input on major legislation,” Mr. McCotter said.

Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Democrat of Florida, said the Democrats had to put in the hours to make up for Republican failings last year. “There was so much left undone by the 12 years of Republican control of the Congress, it was absolutely essential that we put our nose to the grindstone,” she said.

Ms. Wasserman Schultz has three children, 8-year-old twins and a 4-year-old. “It’s tough,” she said in a telephone interview from Orlando, where she had taken the children while she attended the Florida Democratic Convention there this weekend.

Mr. Blunt said he thought Democrats would regret this year’s schedule, which he said had distanced lawmakers from constituents.

Still, he said he and his colleagues would appreciate the Fridays out of session next year. “I would welcome, as I am sure all of our members would, a schedule that is more reflective of how the Congress should work,” Mr. Blunt said. “Rather than how it has worked in the last year.”

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
So the longer workweek is already biting the dust amidst bi-partisian b****ing. Apparently making 5 times the median wage doesn't mean they feel they need to put in 40 hour work weeks. The whining about family stuff also bothers me. This is a choice you make. If you choose to run for political office, you know that you will not be around your family nearly as much as you want to. Its not like you were held at gunpoint and force to work in Washington. If your kids are that important, do like the rest of the 300 million people in America do, and find another job. Meanwhile for $165k plus incredible benefits, I expect some work to actually get done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/27/washingt...agewanted=print

I agree, that is awfully frustrating to see. If we have turned being a house rep into a full time, job, that is fine - so I expect them to work their butts off for it. They should be honored to have such a privileged position. This reminds me a lot of how a feel about overpaid professional athletes who don't work hard at it - its insulting to those of us who pay their salaries.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
I agree, that is awfully frustrating to see. If we have turned being a house rep into a full time, job, that is fine - so I expect them to work their butts off for it. They should be honored to have such a privileged position. This reminds me a lot of how a feel about overpaid professional athletes who don't work hard at it - its insulting to those of us who pay their salaries.

I'm not certain exactly what that means. If that means they are free to work in their offices, return to their districts, etc. Isn't that a good thing? I guess it is up to the individual official on how they use the Fridays. So if the GOP wants to make a point, let's see them using that day productively. I don't read anything there that would prevent them from certain activities except voting.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
I'm not certain exactly what that means. If that means they are free to work in their offices, return to their districts, etc. Isn't that a good thing? I guess it is up to the individual official on how they use the Fridays. So if the GOP wants to make a point, let's see them using that day productively. I don't read anything there that would prevent them from certain activities except voting.

The same Democrats made a big deal back in January or December about how they weren't going to be a do-nothing Congress, and one of the things they had to show that they meant business was that they were going to hold a 5 day work week. It's actually probably helped; this Congress has already held nearly 2x as many votes as the Congress did last year. But if you're going to try to get positive press by doing the right thing in one case, you're going to get exactly the same negative press when you turn your back on that promise.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)
The same Democrats made a big deal back in January or December about how they weren't going to be a do-nothing Congress, and one of the things they had to show that they meant business was that they were going to hold a 5 day work week. It's actually probably helped; this Congress has already held nearly 2x as many votes as the Congress did last year. But if you're going to try to get positive press by doing the right thing in one case, you're going to get exactly the same negative press when you turn your back on that promise.

results are what matters. If they can do that during a Saturday morning BBQ, I'm happy. Working 100 hour weeks doesn't mean a thing if the results are not there. So I wasn't impressed when they announced the new longer hours and I'm not too upset when they announced new shorter hours. Parkinson's Law and the Peter Principle all come into play here.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)

Its not about GOP or Dem.

Its about getting paid 5 times what the middle worker in getting paid in the US today, and then crying about being away from your family and working too many hours. Last I checked, Washington DC was where our governence happens, so I am not quite sure why the are surprised that they have to go there to work, otherwise why would they be complaining about something they knew full well of when they decided to run for office? Heck I am guessing most people who are making $150k + a year work a little more than 40 hours a week in the first place, so I don't get why five full days of work is such a difficult standard to uphold. It almost makes me wonder if a reason we have had such substandard governence is because our elected officials are content in working just a few days a week while jetting home for the weekend our on dimes.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
ults are what matters.hey can do that during a Saturday morning BBQ, I'm happy. Working 100 hour weeks doesn't mean a thing if the results are not there. So I wasn't impressed when they announced the new longer hours and I'm not too upset when they announced new shorter hours. Parkinson's Law and the Peter Principle all come into play here.

I am glad you agree with me then, that is unless you are satisfied with the results coming out of Congress...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)

There's a lot more to being a congressperson than voting. There's a lot of field work that the office handles, and the Congressperson can be an important part of that. I'm fine with them working four days a week in session, if that fifth day is spend working with their constituents.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
Its not about GOP or Dem.

Its about getting paid 5 times what the middle worker in getting paid in the US today, and then crying about being away from your family and working too many hours. Last I checked, Washington DC was where our governence happens, so I am not quite sure why the are surprised that they have to go there to work, otherwise why would they be complaining about something they knew full well of when they decided to run for office? Heck I am guessing most people who are making $150k + a year work a little more than 40 hours a week in the first place, so I don't get why five full days of work is such a difficult standard to uphold. It almost makes me wonder if a reason we have had such substandard governence is because our elected officials are content in working just a few days a week while jetting home for the weekend our on dimes.

I see them more like outside sales reps.

I guess where I am not clear is why they can not work, and if this gets them back in their Districts more, why is that a bad thing? I know we have not seen Congressman Hinojosa as much as we use to. It use to be an issue how much time these guys spend in their districts, now it has become how much time they spend away? I guess it makes sense.

But let's be careful what we wish for.

Do we want more government?

Do we want them to pass more laws?

What is it that isn't getting done and how will another day in Washington solve that rather than being back in their districts?

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
There's a lot more to being a congressperson than voting. There's a lot of field work that the office handles, and the Congressperson can be an important part of that. I'm fine with them working four days a week in session, if that fifth day is spend working with their constituents.

You know what, that is a good point, and it occurs to me I wasn't really looking at this exactly right. If they are indeed spending that time out in the field doing their work, in ADDITION to spending 40+ in the capitol proper, then that is a very important point to make. I wouldn't begrudge these folks a 5 hour difference if they are, say, actually working 70 hours a week. If that's the case.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
Well, lets get facts straight here. Romney is LEADING the field in IA and NH, Obama is 2nd in those states in his field. Biden is a blip at best. Not really a like-for-like comparison.

Kind of like comparing the #2 Democrat in the Senate to a House Rep from Colorado. Oh wait...

Beating a dead horse.........priceless. Get over it already..

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 12:19 PM)
You know what, that is a good point, and it occurs to me I wasn't really looking at this exactly right. If they are indeed spending that time out in the field doing their work, in ADDITION to spending 40+ in the capitol proper, then that is a very important point to make. I wouldn't begrudge these folks a 5 hour difference if they are, say, actually working 70 hours a week. If that's the case.

I've worked with a number of people who advance and staff elected officials. Good Congressmen - even in safe districts - work a lot. And are doing a lot in district when they aren't on the floor of Congress.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
I've worked with a number of people who advance and staff elected officials. Good Congressmen - even in safe districts - work a lot. And are doing a lot in district when they aren't on the floor of Congress.

OK, that's certainly a valid point. I don't doubt it.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)

I've worked with a lot of executives who make similar salaries, and I don't think I have heard them petitioning their bosses for less hours.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 06:32 PM)
I've worked with a lot of executives who make similar salaries, and I don't think I have heard them petitioning their bosses for less hours.

You're comparing for-profit employees with government elected officials?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
You're comparing for-profit employees with government elected officials?

The expectations of work are actually higher with elected officials versus anyone else for me. These are the people running the entire country, instead of just one company.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 07:32 PM)

I'm pretty sure, that unlike the government, you wouldn't be told about what they're petitioning for.

Personally, I see no need for Congress to be in session five days a week if things are getting done, or it means that your elected representative is more accessible to the people who elected him or her.

Unfortunately, that's too often not the case.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
I'm pretty sure, that unlike the government, you wouldn't be told about what they're petitioning for.

Personally, I see no need for Congress to be in session five days a week if things are getting done, or it means that your elected representative is more accessible to the people who elected him or her.

Unfortunately, that's too often not the case.

And if they were getting anything done, I might b**** a little less...

Those that think they should be in session more, is it because you want more government? What is it that hasn't been done, and why is it better that they be in session instead of somewhere else?

I find it interesting that the small government advocates are the same ones advocating for more hours in Washington for the representatives. I am seriously not trying to bait anyone, I'm interested.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 02:59 AM)
Those that think they should be in session more, is it because you want more government? What is it that hasn't been done, and why is it better that they be in session instead of somewhere else?

I find it interesting that the small government advocates are the same ones advocating for more hours in Washington for the representatives. I am seriously not trying to bait anyone, I'm interested.

Have you ever heard of the phrase give an inch, take a mile? I feel like that every time I read one of your rebuttals to posts. :lol:

I saw this video in the previews of the new Saw Movie. To me this was one of the best produced National Guard ads I have seen. Not some dude climbing a rock, not some guy with a catchy phrase. The song is pretty good as well.

Edited by southsideirish71