For GOP only

Texsox

Denny Hastert is not going to finish out his term, and is going to be stepping down soon.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/18/hastert/index.html

Sources say Hastert announcement due "soon" but probably not on Thursday

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert will resign his congressional seat rather than serve out the rest of his term, two GOP congressional sources told CNN.

Rep. Dennis Hastert, shown in June, was House speaker from January 1999 to November 2006.

The Illinois Republican said in August he would not seek re-election in the state's 14th District.

Both sources said Wednesday evening that Hastert would make an announcement "soon" but probably not on Thursday.

"I think he is just done with being a member of Congress," a GOP aide said of Hastert, who has just over a year remaining in his term.

Hastert, 65, is the longest-serving Republican speaker in history, holding the post from January 1999 to November 2006.

He stepped down as the top House Republican leader last November after Democrats won a majority in the midterm elections, ending 12 years of GOP control.

When he was elected speaker in 1999, Hastert, a former high school teacher and wrestling coach, was an unlikely candidate. Though he had been in the House 12 years he had virtually no national profile and did not hold a top leadership position.

However, Hastert managed to build a reputation as a formidable leader, and by 2003 his Republican colleagues waived term limits to allow him to continue as their speaker.

Twelve Republican representatives have announced they are not running for re-election next year, either because they are retiring or they are running for another office.

In addition to Hastert, another big-name Republican leaving is Rep. Deborah Pryce of Ohio, who said when she announced her retirement in August "there is no perfect time, no good time to leave a job you really love."

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of those headlines you couldn't make up: As violence falls in Iraq, cemetery workers feel the pinch:

At what's believed to be the world's largest cemetery, where Shiite Muslims aspire to be buried and millions already have been, business isn't good.

A drop in violence around Iraq has cut burials in the huge Wadi al Salam cemetery here by at least one-third in the past six months, and that's cut the pay of thousands of workers who make their living digging graves, washing corpses or selling burial shrouds.

Gotta love the conservative press corps. :lol:

Edited by Cknolls

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
This is one of those headlines you couldn't make up: As violence falls in Iraq, cemetery workers feel the pinch:

At what's believed to be the world's largest cemetery, where Shiite Muslims aspire to be buried and millions already have been, business isn't good.

A drop in violence around Iraq has cut burials in the huge Wadi al Salam cemetery here by at least one-third in the past six months, and that's cut the pay of thousands of workers who make their living digging graves, washing corpses or selling burial shrouds.

Gotta love the conservative press corps. :lol:

haha, classic

I was watching CNN the other day and Cooper Anderson (yea, the guy that does lame beat poetry during his 'news' cast) reported on Iraq starting off with this

"Well, I guess there is good news in Iraq, for once (rolls eyes). " Then he brings on a bunch of guests who talk about how it's not really good news. It was awesome.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 07:09 AM)
Man I beat Balta to bad GOP news!

Sam Brownback is reportedly dropping out of the Presidental race. Rumor is that he is going to concentrate on running for Gov of KS.

I wouldn't actually say that's bad news for you folks. Thin out your race a little bit, concentrate the money more, and give you a comptetive candidate in that governor's race.

A big part of me would like to see Mr. Richardson consider doing the same thing for the soon-to-be-vacant New Mexico Senate Seat, which he'd win in a landslide if he ran for it (a seat currently held by a Republican).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)
I wouldn't actually say that's bad news for you folks. Thin out your race a little bit, concentrate the money more, and give you a comptetive candidate in that governor's race.

A big part of me would like to see Mr. Richardson consider doing the same thing for the soon-to-be-vacant New Mexico Senate Seat, which he'd win in a landslide if he ran for it (a seat currently held by a Republican).

I'd bet money that Richardson would rather stay Governor of NM, or take a cabinet post from another candidate, or be a VOP nom, than run for Senate. I think that seat is likely to go Dem anyway, the way NM is going. So I don't think you'll get your wish.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
I'd bet money that Richardson would rather stay Governor of NM, or take a cabinet post from another candidate, or be a VOP nom, than run for Senate. I think that seat is likely to go Dem anyway, the way NM is going. So I don't think you'll get your wish.

acooper.jpg

"Bill Richardson is a great man, but so is Hillary. I'm not sure who to vote for yet"

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)

There are a few more of these guys I wouldn't miss if they dropped out either. The herd could definately be culled a bit to streamline the candidates and messages. Guys like Duncan Hunter and Tom Tancreto are just wastes of spaces. It will really be interesting after Iowa when the first big names start to bow out.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 09:57 AM)
There are a few more of these guys I wouldn't miss if they dropped out either. The herd could definately be culled a bit to streamline the candidates and messages. Guys like Duncan Hunter and Tom Tancreto are just wastes of spaces. It will really be interesting after Iowa when the first big names start to bow out.

I think Tancredo is actually a bit dangerous to you guys as a potential 3rd party running spoiler.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)
I think Tancredo is actually a bit dangerous to you guys as a potential 3rd party running spoiler.

I'm pretty sure he said he wouldn't do that. Also, once conservatives see Hillary Clinton in presidential debates they will get all pissed and vote GOP IMO.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)

Ron Paul is the biggest potential spoiler in the race. He has a couple of hot button issues that he appeals to a lot of people on, plus he has done it in the past.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
Ron Paul is the biggest potential spoiler in the race. He has a couple of hot button issues that he appeals to a lot of people on, plus he has done it in the past.

I agree. Tancredo is a one-trick pony, I don't think he'd do much damage in a national election (thank God - that guy is scary).

http://www.bizjournals.com/extraedge/consu...market=portland

What happened to Tony Soprano? You won't believe it

Jim Verdonik

How many times have you heard the question: "What's the next big thing?" from venture capitalists and entrepreneurs?

Well, here it is: Verifiable Carbon Offset Credits.

How do you cash in so you can afford your own private jet, instead of begging rides on your friends' jets? The key is verification. The marketplace will reward suppliers providing verifiable product.

Here's a case study illustrating how an aging company reorganized to capitalize on the next big thing.

It also answers the burning question: "Whatever Happened to Tony Soprano?"

SOPRANO CARBON OFFSET CREDITS INC.

(NASDAQ: SCOCI), headquartered in Corleone, Sicily.

After United Nations scientists at the Academy Awards, Cannes Film Festival and Wimbledon documented that breathing is an unnatural environmental hazard that provides the final undeniable link between human activity and global warming, SCOCI introduced carbon offset credits for people who feel guilty about breathing. SCOCI's product line of "hits" fits every budget.

$250 - Anyone in China. China's low-cost breath hits are a major export item. Purchasers breathe easily knowing each breath they take is offset by fewer breaths in China.

$500 - Brazilian peasants. There's a bonus. After the hit, they don't destroy the Amazon Rain Forest.

$1,000 - Joggers and fat people. They cost more, because both take deep breaths.

$5,000 - SUV owners. The group environmentalists love to hate is becoming an endangered species.

$10,000 - Prius owners. Popular among SUV owning customers. SCOCI provides commemorative videos showing big SUVs running little Priuses off the road.

$1,000,000 - Hollywood celebrities with huge carbon footprints.

SCOCI's founder, Tony S, explained his company's success, "We give consumers what they want - a nice clean hit for a great cause. It feels good knowing your breathing isn't destroying the environment.

"Eliminating guilt was a natural fit for us. Everyone in our organization has pled "not guilty" to something.

"We've revolutionized the hit man business. Before Carbon Offset Credits, most people weren't worth killing. Now everyone wants someone hit. Our guarantee not to hit customers within three months after a purchase is generating a lot of loyal regular customers.

"Of course, it all started with Big Al. He wanted us to hit some guy named George, because George ruined his life. We turned down the business. We don't do Secret Service hits since government regulation of our industry tightened after the Kennedy deal. Besides, our investors wanted us out of the one-off business. By eliminating competitors, we already dominated that niche, but the market wasn't growing. Today, the hit business is all about scalability, volume pricing and recurring revenues. That's what drives market valuation. We convinced Big Al a CO2 movie would drive George crazy. Mob Media Inc. wrote the script. Our finance division, Legitimate Business People Inc., financed shooting and distribution. After the movie, sales started skyrocketing!

"It's not just about money. Hit men used to have big self-esteem issues. Most schools didn't invite hit-man dads to come to class to explain their business on Career Day. Now, we're environmentalists saving the planet."

Mr. S explained SCOCI's new marketing campaign: "Sales will skyrocket when we rename Earth Day 'Lou Cabrazzi Swims with the Fishes Day.' Our marketing department projects 50 percent population decreases in many cities and college towns in one day. I'm talking major environmental progress here, not just cleaning up some stupid river like past Earth Days."

Mr. S, dismissed skepticism about optimistic projections. "Who do you think we are - a bunch of kids with MBAs? In the Mob, we always make our numbers - or else. Accountability isn't just an empty phrase in our organization.

"It would be easy for our company's hit men to take all the credit, but each hit is a team effort. Our actuarial department estimates life expectancy. Our medical group projects CO2 breathing emissions. Our cultural anthropology department compiles demographic information and uses sophisticated computer models to project overall carbon footprint. It's a fully automated process. Order taking and delivery is Internet-based with user-friendly interfaces.

"The reason we're literally killing the competition is credibility and verification. When the Mob says we killed someone, everybody believes it. We reinforce our existing brand reputation with death certificates with the name, date, location, means of death and carbon footprint rating. Compare that to competitors, who just tell people they planted a tree someplace. Competitors who don't provide verification could be crooks!"

So, there you have it - the next big thing.

Remember, you heard it here first.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
I'm pretty sure he said he wouldn't do that. Also, once conservatives see Hillary Clinton in presidential debates they will get all pissed and vote GOP IMO.

Except the problem is, election wise, the more people see Hillary on the GOP side, the less they dislike her.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 12:20 AM)
Except the problem is, election wise, the more people see Hillary on the GOP side, the less they dislike her.

I have the opposite problem. The more she plays Santa Claus, the more she pisses me off, though I guess not nearly at as steep of a curve as Edwards does. He has actually passed Hill on my "I'd rather be a Cub fan than vote for..." meter.

Classy.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash6.htm

Leader Boehner Calls on Democratic Rep. Stark to Retract Statement, Apologize to American Troops and their Families

Thu Oct 18 2007 14:11:42 ET

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 18, 2007

CONTACTS: Brian Kennedy, Kevin Smith, Steve Forde Ð (202) 225-4000

WASHINGTON, D.C. Ð House Republican Leader John Boehner (R-OH) today issued the following statement regarding remarks made on the House floor by Rep. Pete Stark (D-CA) during the debate on the State ChildrenÕs Health Insurance Program (SCHIP):

"Our troops in Iraq are fighting against al-Qaeda and other radical jihadists hellbent on killing the people we are sent here to represent. Congressman StarkÕs statement dishonors not only the Commander-in-Chief, but the thousands of courageous men and women of AmericaÕs armed forces who believe in their mission and are putting their lives on the line for our freedom and security. Congressman Stark should retract his statement and apologize to the House, our Commander-in-Chief, and the families of our soldiers and commanders fighting terror overseas."

During debate on the SCHIP children's health care legislation today, Rep. Stark stated: "You don't have money to fund the war or children. But you're going to spend it to blow up innocent people if we can get enough kids to grow old enough for you to send to Iraq to get their heads blown off for the President's amusement."

Developing...

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 08:43 AM)
There's your 2006-2007-2008 Democratic Partiy in a nutshell. Thanks for the soundbite, Bohner...

Oh now come on. The party in a nutshell? Are we going to characterize the GOP by finding the most extremist, warmongering quote we can find? Is Tom Tancredo the face of the rightists?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 07:06 AM)
I have the opposite problem. The more she plays Santa Claus, the more she pisses me off, though I guess not nearly at as steep of a curve as Edwards does. He has actually passed Hill on my "I'd rather be a Cub fan than vote for..." meter.

If you're gonna be pissed off at pandering, be pissed off at everyone.

I'm not a Hillary fan. She's honestly my least favorite of the first or second tier candidates right now on the Democratic side. But having seen her in person, I can see the appeal. She's a lot better up close than you'd expect.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)
If you're gonna be pissed off at pandering, be pissed off at everyone.

I'm not a Hillary fan. She's honestly my least favorite of the first or second tier candidates right now on the Democratic side. But having seen her in person, I can see the appeal. She's a lot better up close than you'd expect.

I guess I missed the part where I am not pissed off at everyone in the field for something or another. The two guys leading the Republician field aren't exactly the Grinch who cut the budgets either. The one difference is that there is a lot more I have in common with those two dopes than anyone else in the Democratic field... well until they all start changing their minds again.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 08:32 AM)

It seems Pete Stark has a nice history of saying some really ignorant things about people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Stark

Stark called then Republican congresswoman Nancy Johnson a "whore" of the pharmaceutical industry.

Called United States Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Louis Wade Sullivan, an African American, "a disgrace to his race".

Declared that conservative former California state welfare director Eloise Anderson would "kill children if she had her way" because she opposed particular policy proposals.

Called fellow Congressman Scott McInnis a "little wimp" and a "little fruitcake" and challenged him to a fight during a Ways and Means Committee meeting.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
It seems Pete Stark has a nice history of saying some really ignorant things about people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Stark

I keep thinking... this is a role for Jack Palance, should they ever bother to cast this character in a film.

What an ass.