Levine: Garland To Be Traded

spiderman

Don't know if this has been posted either. What it shows is the Sox are now actively listening for offers. They couldn't do it w/ the Vazquez deal not finalized. And waiting after the arb. deadline to see who else is available for teams. With garland the only real arm out there via trade, at least we can start hearing real names and possible offers

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columni...21-majors_x.htm

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if this has been posted either. What it shows is the Sox are now actively listening for offers. They couldn't do it w/ the Vazquez deal not finalized. And waiting after the arb. deadline to see who else is available for teams. With garland the only real arm out there via trade, at least we can start hearing real names and possible offers

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columni...21-majors_x.htm

The White Sox plan to start soliciting offers for starting pitcher Jon Garland, who won 18 games in 2005, in an attempt to acquire more bullpen help.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 08:37 AM)
I was thinking of another NL team that could use some pitching...I am not sure as to what they may have to offer in return is the Giants....weren't the Sox tied to rumors about Pedro Feliz at one point last season??

Any deal w/ the Giants absolutely needs to be hinged around Cain and Merkin.

QUOTE(kdhargo @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
Any deal w/ the Giants absolutely needs to be hinged around Cain and Merkin.

Cain is already projected to be in their starting rotation for 2006, so that would be a steal. I don't know if SF would do that unless they knew that they could sign Jon to a long term deal.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
Right now, I would take Buehrle, McCarthy, and the Contreras of 2nd half last season (if he still exists) over Jon.  That's including all things, such as Salary.  I would take Garland over Garcia in a heartbeat.

Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon had 18 wins, and pretty much helped carry us the entire first half, and in the playoffs was a dominant force especially in the ALCS. You are on crack my friend if you would take a Rookie over Jon. The count is maybe close.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 05:32 AM)
What I'm saying is this--we don't know what the market is for Garland. Yet I can see [based on the asking demands of many, ie "KW should get X or no deal"] what the reaction will be if / when Garland is dealt----'KW got taken', 'he sucks', etc etc. I can hear the b****ing and moaning already. IMO, KW should be given the benefit of the doubt that he got the best deal possible, given what was available.

So now we have built-in acceptance mechanisms regarding Kenny Williams?

This is the kind of s*** I'm warning Soxtalk about. Kenny has not yet earned "Can't Do No Wrong" status. He simply hasn't. To accept a lesser package and chalk it up to "Kenny doing his best," puts you in dangerously close to the North side Sheep Phenomenon.

I've been one of Kenny's biggest backers on this site. I was down-right confused by the Vazquez deal, but, I have since seen the light. All I'm saying is we can not grant Kenny a hall-pass just yet. He has a HUGE chip here in Garland and he needs to get a fair package in return.

As for the rumors of Garland being shopped to the Dodgers, I swear to God, sometimes I think these writers just read the message boards. I know that sounds bizarre, but, c'mon, this isn't the first time this has happened.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon had 18 wins, and pretty much helped carry us the entire first half, and in the playoffs was a dominant force especially in the ALCS.  You are on crack my friend if you would take a Rookie over Jon.  The count is maybe close.

Jon dominated one game in the alcs and had a meh game in the series. I still think of Jon as our 4th starter right now behind Count, Mark, and Freddy but I do agree that you can't put Brandon ahead of him yet though I do think he'll be better then Garland eventually.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
Jon dominated one game in the alcs and had a meh game in the series.  I still think of Jon as our 4th starter right now behind Count, Mark, and Freddy but I do agree that you can't put Brandon ahead of him yet though I do think he'll be better then Garland eventually.

No way!!!! Garland had the 2nd best second half on the team, and the best first half. He is a better pitcher than Garcia at this point, and the only pitcher I would put in front on him is Mark, because its Mark.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
No way!!!! Garland had the 2nd best second half on the team

Contreras is the best pitcher on the team imo, while Mark is 2nd. You can definitely make the argument for Jon over Freddy but Freddy has been a consistant number 2 starter his whole career while Jon has had the one year. I still think Jon is going to be very solid so don't get me wrong but for the next year or two I think Freddy will be the better pitcher.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
Contreras is the best pitcher on the team imo, while Mark is 2nd.  You can definitely make the argument for Jon over Freddy but Freddy has been a consistant number 2 starter his whole career while Jon has had the one year.  I still think Jon is going to be very solid so don't get me wrong but for the next year or two I think Freddy will be the better pitcher.

You cant put contreras as the best pitcher on the team at this point. He had a great second half, and a good postseason. But He has posted and ERA of over 5 in 2 of his 4 full seasons in the MLB. Jon hasnt posted a single season above 5 when he pitched full time. And since Mark has been starting full time, he has only broken a 4 ERA ONCE from 2001 to 2005.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
You cant put contreras as the best pitcher on the team at this point.  He had a great second half, and a good postseason.  But He has posted and ERA of over 5 in 2 of his 4 full seasons in the MLB.  Jon hasnt posted a single season above 5 when he pitched full time.

I thought we were talking about where you would put our starters going into next year? IMO, Jose will be our best starting pitcher, if we were talking about the past then Jon isn't even close to Freddy.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
I thought we were talking about where you would put our starters going into next year?  IMO, Jose will be our best starting pitcher, if we were talking about the past then Jon isn't even close to Freddy.

Their past is part of who they are. And where they are going. If you were going to ask me, which pitcher has the most legitimate chance of turning it around and repeating this years performance, I would have to pick the most consistent player, and younger one in Jon. As far as moving forward, I dont know how you cant pick Mark as our best pitcher when he finished this year in the top ten in wins, ERA, WPCT, IP, WHIP, and CG.

His value might be higher to west coast teams because it "appears" that's where he wants to pitch and no VAFan I do not have a direct quote.

It really doesn't matter who on SoxTalk would rather have Garland vs. the other Sox pitchers. This is economics and the front office planning for the future.

The trading partners aren't established yet because there are still free agent pitchers on the market with several teams bidding. I think the Dodgers will jump in on Garland if they can't land a free agent in addition to Tomko, who is back of the rotation filler. Obviously the White Sox would prefer to deal with the Dodgers but the Angels are possible too.

Those two teams, Dodgers and Angels, are where you can get the best return. Possibly Texas if they don't land the pitchers they want, although I believe they'll get Millwood and that might change their perspective.

All the other teams in the league are looking at Garland as a one year rental, which means they won't give up a lot to get him.

If the media reports are believeable, the White Sox are currently over budget, with 6 high paid starting pitchers. It all depends if they can start the season over budget. I don't believe they've done that in the past but obviously I don't know for sure.

My guess is Garland will be traded in late January, before pitcher/catcher reporting date. What happens with these remaining free agent pitchers will play a large part in what the White Sox will get for him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Their past is part of who they are.  And where they are going.  If you were going to ask me, which pitcher has the most legitimate chance of turning it around and repeating this years performance, I would have to pick the most consistent player, and younger one in Jon.  As far as moving forward, I dont know how you cant pick Mark as our best pitcher when he finished this year in the top ten in wins, ERA, WPCT, IP, WHIP, and CG.

Mark has been our best pitcher, there is no doubt about that but imo Jose will be our best next season. I believe for the next 2-3 years JC will be one of the top 5 pitchers in this league. Obviously the only thing we can do is wait and see, so I'll just leave it at that.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
Mark has been our best pitcher, there is no doubt about that but imo Jose will be our best next season.  I believe for the next 2-3 years JC will be one of the top 5 pitchers in this league.  Obviously the only thing we can do is wait and see, so I'll just leave it at that.

True, we dont know what we dont know.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
So now we have built-in acceptance mechanisms regarding Kenny Williams? 

This is the kind of s*** I'm warning Soxtalk about.  Kenny has not yet earned "Can't Do No Wrong" status.  He simply hasn't.  To accept a lesser package and chalk it up to "Kenny doing his best," puts you in dangerously close to the North side Sheep Phenomenon. 

I've been one of Kenny's biggest backers on this site.  I was down-right confused by the Vazquez deal, but, I have since seen the light.  All I'm saying is we can not grant Kenny a hall-pass just yet.  He has a HUGE chip here in Garland and he needs to get a fair package in return.

I'm not talking about 'do no wrong' garbage.

I'm talking about KW [and the sox scouting guys] being given the benefit of the doubt that the sox get the best deal possible--that helps the sox short and long term success. Making trades isn't an exact science. Its an entire organization--from the scouts to the GM--that I have confidence in--nott just KW

Bruce Levine has been reporting that the Sox will need to rid G-Unit cuz they will be over payroll with him.... B-Mac Better have what it takes to be an every day starter. What a shame...Garland is my favorite starter of the bunch, everyone said he wouldnt have what it takes to pitch in the biggies, i guess he proved them all wrong.....If he does go, I will have to add to my Jersey collection.

QUOTE(SoxRock05 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
Bruce Levine has been reporting that the Sox will need to rid G-Unit cuz they will be over payroll with him.... B-Mac Better have what it takes to be an every day starter.  What a shame...Garland is my favorite starter of the bunch, everyone said he wouldnt have what it takes to pitch in the biggies, i guess he proved them all wrong.....If he does go, I will have to add to my Jersey collection.

wow, thanks for that breaking news.