Re-sign Contreras, trade Vazquez mid-season

VAfan

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who cared to read the post, I said prospects could be part of a mid-season trade of Vazquez, but they certainly don't have to be the main ingredient. (I mentioned Bobby Abreu first, didn't I?) The Sox could well be in a position to get just about anything they want or need at that point, depending on how well Vazquez responds to Coop's tutelage. Anyone else dumping a major starting pitcher mid-season will likely be offering only a rent-a-player like AJ Burnett. Vazquez will still be tied up for 2-1/2 years in mid-2006.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
For those who cared to read the post, I said prospects could be part of a mid-season trade of Vazquez, but they certainly don't have to be the main ingredient.  (I mentioned Bobby Abreu first, didn't I?)  The Sox could well be in a position to get just about anything they want or need at that point, depending on how well Vazquez responds to Coop's tutelage.  Anyone else dumping a major starting pitcher mid-season will likely be offering only a rent-a-player like AJ Burnett.  Vazquez will still be tied up for 2-1/2 years in mid-2006.

Are you trying to imply there that if Brian Anderson is struggling, that the Sox are going to use Vazquez as bait to try and get an upgrade there?

Vazquez being tied up for another 3 years is exactly the reason why they traded for him in the 1st place.

There is one big assumption that everyone is operating under right now, that very well might not be true...

What gives everyone the impression that Kenny Williams has a contract extension out on the table to Jose Contreras at all anymore? Why would he? The Sox payroll is at $95 million this year and next according to the team, so do they even have the money to add on another $10 million per season?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
There is one big assumption that everyone is operating under right now, that very well might not be true...

What gives everyone the impression that Kenny Williams has a contract extension out on the table to Jose Contreras at all anymore?  Why would he?  The Sox payroll is at $95 million this year and next according to the team, so do they even have the money to add on another $10 million per season?

KW probably doesn't. Unless its his first offer that's still on the table, which Jose won't accept. The sox might as well wait this yr out, see how everything plays out SP wise--injury, effectiveness, etc. before offering Jose a contract. Then the sox could try to re-sign Jose or move someone else. The most likely scenario is Jose moving on to a 3 yr deal worth $11, 12 mill per yr somewhere else

Vazquez being tied up for another 3 years is exactly the reason why they traded for him in the 1st place.

Thank you, yes.

It turns out they had offers out to Garland and Contreras, Garland jumped at the offer and signed. I believe they are still talking to Contreras, trying to get something done. In the meantime if they get blown away by a trade offer, they'll move him.

As for Vazquez, they love him and have chased him for at least 3 years now. It makes zero sense that their purpose is to raise his value and trade him.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
Thank you, yes.

It turns out they had offers out to Garland and Contreras, Garland jumped at the offer and signed.  I believe they are still talking to Contreras, trying to get something done.  In the meantime if they get blown away by a trade offer, they'll move him.

As for Vazquez, they love him and have chased him for at least 3 years now.  It makes zero sense that their purpose is to raise his value and trade him.

Watch out JimH. if Vasquez is traded then VAFan is going to bring up this post.

Well Va, let me get this straight.

We trade our top prospect for a pitcher who is locked up for several years for a reasonable price, below what pitchers of his talent are making today. But instead you would like to extend a LARGER contract to Contreras, who is older, and has more value. So that we can trade the younger pitcher with the smaller contract for talent at the deadline?

What line of business are you in exactly?

There's one more point I keep bringing up in these threads talking about mid-season trades.

Let's assume for a moment that we're going to be in contention next year for the playoffs. Let's also assume that there will be other teams in contention, but who discover that for whatever reason, their starting pitching is not what they hoped it would be.

It happens every year - it'll happen for the Yankees sometime in April this year, it'll probably happen to the Red Sox the first time Beckett's blister shows up, it'll happen to the Angels when they realize they have only 4 starters, it'll happen to the Braves when one of their guys goes down, it'll happen to the Rangers, it'll happen to the Cubs, it'll probably happen to the Dodgers, the Cardinals, the Padres, the Giants, hell it'll happen to almost the entire league.

So...which team do we want to help beat us?

Let's say Vazquez comes around and pitches like he did in 2003. Can someone out there point to the team that they'd like to give a massive shot in the arm to at midseason?

The teams in the market for pitching are going to be the exact teams we don't want to help, because those will be the teams we need to beat. The Royals and Devil Rays aren't likely going to be wanting to acquire expensive pitching at the trading deadline. If we give up a pitcher, especially for some combination of ML guys and prospects, we're making the team receiving the pitching better, and that could very well come back to bite us later.

If we want to put ourselves in a situation where it doesn't hurt us, then we're not going to get value back on it. Think about this...which teams are likely to be willing to give up the most for 1 pitcher? The Yankees, the Red Sox, the Angels. Teams that want to win now while their perceived window is still open. They'd be the ones likely to give us the most in return for a guy. Does anyone think trading with any of those teams would be a good idea? I sure don't. Not if we want to beat them.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
I'm too lazy to read the whole post, but I'll just say, please stop with these VAfan.

You are proud that you're "too lazy" to read a post longer than a single thought?

:bang

I'd keep thoughts like that private, were I you.

BTW, it was a terrific post -- what's up with all the animosity here?

Edited by SadChiSoxFanOptimist

You are proud that you're "too lazy" to read a post longer than a single thought?

Looks like you might have just added to it ... the animosity that is, not the terrific post.

Stick around for a while and you'll see why there's been all the point/counterpoint in threads like this.

QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)

VAFan's points are not ALL bad, IMHO... it's just the way he posts them that annoys people. He makes the same points over and over again in multiple threads, he bumps threads to say "I told you so", and he gets into back-and-forth shouting matches with people who are obviously toying with him.

QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)

Welcome to soxtalk :cheers

It seems some of the posters like to have a "whipping boy" in VA fan.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 07:44 PM)
Welcome to soxtalk  :cheers

It seems some of the posters like to have a "whipping boy" in VA fan.

Thank you Beck for a positive, constructive response.

I've been lurking for quite awhile....especially while I'm home on vacation. I really appreciate this site's excellent and knowledgeable posters!!

:D