why does everyone not want tejada??

mc20

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
As s***ty as he was doing he was still out there trying to get his teammates asses in gear. Raffy and Sosa killed that team with all their bulls***.

Now that is a good point. The Sox may be looking for someone to take Carl Everett's place in the clubhouse.

Still, Uribe + Contreras plus a prospect is too steep. I'll take the pitching and defense of Jose & Juan over the extra 10 home runs of Tejada.

Plus, if Jose walks after this season, that frees up money to resign Buehrle.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
Almost identical, just pick a half:

Pre All-Star  6 HR, 38 RBI

Post Al-Star 10 HR, 33 RBI

The only difference is where they bat in the lineup.

The difference was in the defense. It was fun watching Uribe in the field. You can’t say that for Tejada.

Not only would Tejada take money away to help resign Buehrle. It would also take money that could help, for what little shot we have, to sign Joe Crede.

QUOTE(chg027 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
The difference was in the defense. It was fun watching Uribe in the field. You can’t say that for Tejada.

Not only would Tejada take money away to help resign Buehrle. It would also take money that could help, for what little shot we have, to sign Joe Crede.

I'm fairly certain management knows whats going on. Buehrle's money is set aside IF management wants to resign him and IF Buehrle wants to return. I see no reason to not want a Tejada trade because you are afraid of money for Buehrle. If management had to chose between Tejada or Buehrle, I am sure their choice would be Buehrle.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
But not as good as watching Uribe plus Contreras. (Plus watching a top prospect in the minors.)

But he blows their first halves away. Collectively, oh and he blows their careers away too just for a bonus.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
You hope.  Don't forget, we'd probably be looking to replace Garcia @ the same time.  And Iguchi is a FA that year as well.  I'm not sure about Uribe & Podsednik.

Not to mention you know the cards have their Eye on him, as well as the Yanks, Boston etc etc etc. He will be an EXTREMELY hot commoditty if he ever becomes an FA.

That's a good point at least with Raffy. I don't know if Sosa was all that bad of a clubhouse guy, because I don't know when he and Tejada got into a riff. One thing I'm sure we can agree on though is that now Tejada is hurting the team with his crap too.

I for one am against any acquisition of Tejada. I have a feeling that the long-term gains of Uribe plus one more year of a solid SP outwiegh that of Tejada. This is why: Tejada has become a crybaby after signing a long-term contract and has fall-outs with Sosa and Palmiero (probably understandable, but nevertheless) making me question his sensibility, plus he is a major reason why the O's weren't good in the 2nd half. I think we've only begun to see Uribe's potential. He's 26, Tejada is 29. I got a feeling that the Sox were Uribe's cure. He's became better has the year progressed and he became good when it mattered.

As of Steroid talk? I think it's too premature to think anything.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
As s***ty as he was doing he was still out there trying to get his teammates asses in gear. Raffy and Sosa killed that team with all their bulls***.

Edited by Beauty35thStreet

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
Defensively, I agree.  Uribe is fun to watch on the field.  But I'd rather watch Tejada bat third and destroy balls than hope that Uribe returns to his 2004 offensive form.

I like to see Uribe on one knee. But that's just my personal preference. Homers and liners are great, but I can watch other hitters do that.

QUOTE(mc20 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
With all these contrases and uribe for tejada rumors going around, why do most people posting not want to lose uribe. sure hes good and has a bright future, but Miguel Tejada is a former mvp and a stud, he could make us a dynasty

For one thing, he's whining about being in Baltimore - no one made him go to baltimore, he wasn't traded - he chose to play in Baltimore.

Because his price exceeds his production. Everyone gets all excited about him, but when you look at his numbers, there are many, many players who put up better. The only difference is he's a SS. Well, right now we have a 3B with mediocre production, a C with mediocre production and a CF with mediocre production, and a LF who can get on base but nothing more. By picking the SS as the offensive position to improve, we're paying the premium price.

If it were Jose and Uribe, at least we'd be dealing from depth and strength. But you know it won't be - there will surely be, at a minimum, one top prospect added.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
I don't know about some people, but Uribe's not exactly fun to watch when he goes into his month long slumps at the plate.  I like Uribe, but I can't believe some of the statements I've seen on this site about Uribe vs Tejada.

I'm just saying that's my personal preference towards Uribe. Tejada's skills are nice, but I just simply like Juan Uribe whether he's struggling or ripping the ball everywhere. It's obviously not a logical reason, and from a baseball standpoint I'm probably an idiot for having this preference, but alas, I have it anyway.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
I'm just saying that's my personal preference towards Uribe. Tejada's skills are nice, but I just simply like Juan Uribe whether he's struggling or ripping the ball everywhere.  It's obviously not a logical reason, and from a baseball standpoint I'm probably an idiot for having this preference, but alas, I have it anyway.

I'm not all that far away from your point of view here. I question just how much of an upgrade Tejada would be over Uribe in 2006. Then I think the gap between then will continue to shrink over the course of the next 3 or 4 seasons. Tejada is an upgrade, no doubt in my mind. But is the upgrade worth costing us Contreras and the prospects? I have my reservations about that.

I guess Tejada is willing to stay with the Os after talking to Melvin Mora and "clearing the air." Supposedly he wanted to clear the air and needed an opportunity, even though he had opportunities but never returned phone calls. All the more reason why I'm happy we didn't trade for this punk.

Either way, I have been thinking about this and am now convinced that Tejada would be bad. I agree with Bob Dylan and the guy who analyzed our squad saying we have mediocre production at 3B, C, CF, and LF.

I actually have to agree with 2nd half C, 2nd half LF, whole season of CF, and 1st half 3B, but Dye was sucking too, so was Konerko for two mos., and what happened to Iguchi in the 2nd half? Funks are a part of baseball life and we did well with them. We don't need Tejada to compensate for the funks when we got Thome, probably an upgrade at DH from Everett. I predict that Tejada's #s will be better than Uribe's but will not be worth the cost. It might have been worth the cost if we didn't have Thome, but we have him. Although with Thome I'm assuming that KW didn't get us used goods.