why does everyone not want tejada??

mc20

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone is represented by boras so he would still be right.

I meant more along the lines that high draft picks don't always lead to top prospects. You can still draft busts like Jeff Liefer, Bobby Seay, Jason Dellaero, Jason Stumm, Joe Borchard, and Kris Honel with high draft picks. Obtaining "proven" top prospects from another team is different than trying to draft good players with high draft picks.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)
I meant more along the lines that high draft picks don't always lead to top prospects.  You can still draft busts like Jeff Liefer, Bobby Seay, Jason Dellaero, Jason Stumm, Joe Borchard, and Kris Honel with high draft picks.  Obtaining "proven" top prospects from another team is different than trying to draft good players with high draft picks.

And apparently the argument is moot since we won't get picks for him anyways, correct? :unsure:

And apparently the argument is moot since we won't get picks for him anyways, correct?    :unsure:

Apparently, which means there's all the more reason for KW to trade Contreras if he doesn't think that he will be able to re-sign Jose to a reasonable contract extension.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)
Tejada, as good as he is, is not as cool to watch play as Uribe.

I'll agree with that. Granted, I haven't seen each all that much in person (I saw 2 Sox games last year, one was against the Orioles), but from those games, Uribe is just amazing to watch in person. Tejada, well, not as much. On TV (or computer with MLB.tv), I love watching Uribe field and bat (when he's hot at least ;)), and again, haven't really seen Tejada that much.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 04:57 AM)
Tejada, as good as he is, is not as cool to watch play as Uribe.

I don't know about some people, but Uribe's not exactly fun to watch when he goes into his month long slumps at the plate. I like Uribe, but I can't believe some of the statements I've seen on this site about Uribe vs Tejada.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
I meant more along the lines that high draft picks don't always lead to top prospects.  You can still draft busts like Jeff Liefer, Bobby Seay, Jason Dellaero, Jason Stumm, Joe Borchard, and Kris Honel with high draft picks.  Obtaining "proven" top prospects from another team is different than trying to draft good players with high draft picks.

With the recent Sox drafts, I would have all the confidence in the world with 3 picks in the top 50(in all likelyhood...1 from simple draft order, and 2 from Contreras) becoming top prospects.

That being said...with Contreras's clause, it appears that wouldn't even be possible.

Personally...I don't care either way. Both routes look win-win to me...having a rotation of Buehrle-Contreras-Garcia-Garland-Vazquez is disgusting, and you lose Contreras's contract after the season, so you are gaining some flexibility there. You trade Contreras now, restock the system a little, and have a rotation of Buehrle-Garcia-Garland-Vazquez-McCarthy, and you still have a very good rotation, along with money off the books and a better minor league system. I see nothing wrong with either route.

KW's put himself in a wonderful position.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
I don't know about some people, but Uribe's not exactly fun to watch when he goes into his month long slumps at the plate.  I like Uribe, but I can't believe some of the statements I've seen on this site about Uribe vs Tejada.

hahaha, so true, but his defense is great to watch. Plus sometimes you watch him make a play and wonder where the hell he learned that technique. However watching our SS bat in 140 runs during the year would be more fun to watch.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 01:35 AM)
With the recent Sox drafts, I would have all the confidence in the world with 3 picks in the top 50(in all likelyhood...1 from simple draft order, and 2 from Contreras) becoming top prospects.

That being said...with Contreras's clause, it appears that wouldn't even be possible.

Personally...I don't care either way.  Both routes look win-win to me...having a rotation of Buehrle-Contreras-Garcia-Garland-Vazquez is disgusting, and you lose Contreras's contract after the season, so you are gaining some flexibility there.  You trade Contreras now, restock the system a little, and have a rotation of Buehrle-Garcia-Garland-Vazquez-McCarthy, and you still have a very good rotation, along with money off the books and a better minor league system.  I see nothing wrong with either route.

KW's put himself in a wonderful position.

I'm with you on this. If he stays, the starting 5 is sick. If he goes, the starting five is still pretty good.

As for Tejada, my biggest worry is the steroid cloud hanging over his head. If he was a roider, then I hope he goes into the s***ter. And I don't want to see him go into the s***ter, when we get him. He's definately one of those guys with a weird shaped head. Reminds me of Sammy.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
hahaha, so true, but his defense is great to watch.  Plus sometimes you watch him make a play and wonder where the hell he learned that technique.  However watching our SS bat in 140 runs during the year would be more fun to watch.

Very much agreed...I still sort of think Uribe's technique is correctable...he's basically making every mistake Andruw Jones made with the bat before changing his stance last year - head flying forward, flying open during the swing, etc. A decent hitting coach, possibly armed with a shotgun aimed at some very painful location on Uribe's body...just might be able to get through to him.

With all these contrases and uribe for tejada rumors going around, why do most people posting not want to lose uribe. sure hes good and has a bright future, but Miguel Tejada is a former mvp and a stud, he could make us a dynasty

I'm with you...anyone who wouldn't want Tejada on their team (unless you are the Yankees) doesn't know anything about baseball.

He is arguably one of the top 5 players in baseball.

:bang

Edited by Steve Bartman's my idol

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
I'm with you...anyone who wouldn't want Tejada on their team (unless you are the Yankees) doesn't know anything about baseball.

He is arguably one of the top 5 players in baseball.

:bang

would you still want him if his signing kept us from re-signing Mark B?

I know people here who know more than I do about this guy say he has a great work ethic, and he is a positive clubhouse guy. But my answer to the question/thread title is still the combination of steroids and the back-and-forth trade request thing. Just a few too many clouds. He is a spectacular player, and would probably be a huge upgrade at SS overall. But I can't get past the baggage he might have.

Plus the money he'd cost long-run might preclude re-signing some of the picthing talent like Buerhle, as Rock pointed out.

But I am not 100% against it either, for the right deal. His abilities make it really tempting.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
I don't know about some people, but Uribe's not exactly fun to watch when he goes into his month long slumps at the plate.  I like Uribe, but I can't believe some of the statements I've seen on this site about Uribe vs Tejada.

I don't watch the Orioles except when they play the Sox, so I wonder how much fun it was watching Tejada after the AllStar break last year when he hit 7 home runs and had 38 RBI's.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
What's this "clause" that Contreras has?

From what I could tell, it really isn't a clause so much as it is the fact that he signed as an international free agent, thus allowing him to skip over arbitration once his contract expires, thus not allowing the team controlling him to offer him arbitration.

This is why the Sox won't be able to get draft picks for Iguchi if they fail to resign him after this season, and why the Yanks wouldn't have gotten draft picks for Matsui had they not resigned him.

Please, someone do correct me if I'm wrong.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
I don't watch the Orioles except when they play the Sox, so I wonder how much fun it was watching Tejada after the AllStar break last year when he hit 7 home runs and had 38 RBI's.

I bet it was close to watching Uribe.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)

As s***ty as he was doing he was still out there trying to get his teammates asses in gear. Raffy and Sosa killed that team with all their bulls***.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
From what I could tell, it really isn't a clause so much as it is the fact that he signed as an international free agent, thus allowing him to skip over arbitration once his contract expires, thus not allowing the team controlling him to offer him arbitration.

This is why the Sox won't be able to get draft picks for Iguchi if they fail to resign him after this season, and why the Yanks wouldn't have gotten draft picks for Matsui had they not resigned him.

Please, someone do correct me if I'm wrong.

Supposedly the clause was written explicitly into Hideki Matsui's contract. From an ESPN article on his signing,

Matsui's agent, Arn Tellem, and Yankees general manager Brian Cashman met the Nov. 15 deadline contained in Matsui's first contract with the team. That deal stated that if there was no agreement by then, New York would have to place the outfielder on unconditional release waivers, which would have prevented the Yankees from re-signing him until May 15.
I've only read here that a similar clause was included in Contreras's contract.

I found this article on international free agents (specifically, Danys Baez) and some of the free agent/arbitration restrictions on their deals. I don't really know if it helps. If there are any lawyers in the house, step forward, b/c the thing just makes my head spin.