Recruiting Thread

Beas Hamga may be able to graduate this summer and be eligible to play this fall, making him a huge potential recruiting coup for this upcoming season.

While it is not definite, the possibility exists. Right now he has narrowed his choices to Kentucky, Indiana, New Mexico, UNLV and Memphis, with Kentucky holding a slight lead.

Not sure what teams such as Indiana would do if he indeed becomes available this fall, not having a scholarship to give. Not sure about the situation of the other teams.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
I think if Hamga graduates early, he's UK bound. At least that is what I'm hearing.

That would make sense. He said this weekend he is currently most interested in Kentucky and they likely have a scholarship to give. Anyone know how many they have available? I know they are pursuing Jai Lucas and Patrick Patterson as well.

That could be an interesting late haul.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
That would make sense. He said this weekend he is currently most interested in Kentucky and they likely have a scholarship to give. Anyone know how many they have available? I know they are pursuing Jai Lucas and Patrick Patterson as well.

That could be an interesting late haul.

They have 3 available (I believe) and are pursuing Lucas, Patterson, Hamga and Michael Sanchez.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 3, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)
DeAndre Liggins moves to a 5 star prospect on Rivals. I cannot emphasize how much Illinois needs to get him, which means we won't of course.

Don't be so sure. Weber is right there in the hunt.

Conventional wisdom says Kansas or Memphi$, but, Weber is right in the thick of things with the in-state talent this year.

Something tells me even if Illinois misses on Liggins, Illini fans won't be disappointed with the class of 2008.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 3, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
Don't be so sure. Weber is right there in the hunt.

Conventional wisdom says Kansas or Memphi$, but, Weber is right in the thick of things with the in-state talent this year.

Something tells me even if Illinois misses on Liggins, Illini fans won't be disappointed with the class of 2008.

Oh I agree the class of 2008 is going to be a really good class for the Illini, but Liggins has been at the top of my wishlist for 2 years now (I saw him in person a couple times a bit back). He is quite the versatile talent.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 3, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
Oh I agree the class of 2008 is going to be a really good class for the Illini, but Liggins has been at the top of my wishlist for 2 years now (I saw him in person a couple times a bit back). He is quite the versatile talent.

Kansas is in hot pursuit of him....We need our chicago fix for the year.

5'11 PG Kevin Dillard of H-F (class of 2008) is off to SIU. Lowery keeps getting it done....and damn I thought NIU might get him too (Dillard, I mean), although we signed a pretty decent JUCO wing and 4 today so i'll take it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
Notre Dame is gathering an impressive haul right now, with 10 early commits including several heralded players.

Up to 12 now with the recent committments of Haifis Williams (DL) and Lane Clelland (OL). I think Michigan was pretty hot on Clelland's trail, is this perceived as a "big" loss for Big Blue, Rex?

Apparently ND leads for Carlton Thomas (RB) as well. He's tiny (5'7") but has some ridiculous highlight reels and offers from plenty of bigtime schools (USC, Auburn, etc.).

Sam McGuffie names a top 13.

"I have a top thirteen, you could say," said McGuffie. "Out of the schools that have offered me, I just sat down and wrote out a list. The schools on there are California, Alabama, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Florida State, Iowa State, Arizona, and North Carolina.

He singles out five schools for their coaches.

"It's just like a trust and relationship thing with the coaching staff as well. I have that at both A&M and Michigan. I have a really good relationship with the coaches at both of those two as well as Iowa State, Miami, and Oklahoma."

Also, Jason, one of your four stars, Matt Gatens, is now a 3 star.

The fact that a recruit named a final THIRTEEN makes me feel even sicker about the recruiting process than I normally do.

Also, the new Rivals 150 is out for the class of 2008. Fresh new SIU verbal Kevin Dillard comes in at #148. #4, #22, #45, #112, and #114 are Ohio State verbals, Michigan State, Indiana, and Wisconsin have two #100's each.

Of Illinois interest, DeAndre Liggins is a 5 star at #18, Darius Miller at #29, Iman Shumpert at #41, Michael Dunigan at #59, John Brandenburg at #63, Scott Suggs at #72, Josh Crittle at #95, Verdell Jones at #102 (although he's going to KU it appears), Paul Williams at #127, and Lewis Jackson at #139. I HOPE with as many guys with Illinois on their list as their is, this will be a really good class. I think it will be. Liggins, Shumpert, Suggs, and Brandenburg are my 4 favorites personally. If we just took all guards and/or wings in 2008 I'd be happy though, we have plenty of bigs.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 8, 2007 -> 01:13 PM)
The fact that a recruit named a final THIRTEEN makes me feel even sicker about the recruiting process than I normally do.

Yeah, but Iowa State is one of them. :P

Also, the new Rivals 150 is out for the class of 2008. Fresh new SIU verbal Kevin Dillard comes in at #148. #4, #22, #45, #112, and #114 are Ohio State verbals, Michigan State, Indiana, and Wisconsin have two #100's each.

Of Illinois interest, DeAndre Liggins is a 5 star at #18, Darius Miller at #29, Iman Shumpert at #41, Michael Dunigan at #59, John Brandenburg at #63, Scott Suggs at #72, Josh Crittle at #95, Verdell Jones at #102 (although he's going to KU it appears), Paul Williams at #127, and Lewis Jackson at #139. I HOPE with as many guys with Illinois on their list as their is, this will be a really good class. I think it will be. Liggins, Shumpert, Suggs, and Brandenburg are my 4 favorites personally. If we just took all guards and/or wings in 2008 I'd be happy though, we have plenty of bigs.

Also Trey Thompkins who Weber is recruiting hard (he is 13th I think) and Terrence Jennings who is #9, has a top 3 with Illinois, Cal and Arizona. So lots of Illinois guys up there, I think this is the banner class the BW has wanted. Plus, '09 is stacked and the top two '09 players are from the Champaign area and '10 already has Richmond who is a top 5 player nationally. Things finally starting to look up for a true good guy in college basketball.

I see Angel Garcia (from state champ East Chicago) moved up to #33 overall. He is getting a lot of intrest from Memphis lately among others, but Indiana is FAR in the lead at this point. I'm almost positive he will have to go to a prep school next year though unless he makes serious progress academically this summer. That will be tough to do with all of the AAU travel and his time spent driveing his new BMW.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 8, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
Also Trey Thompkins who Weber is recruiting hard (he is 13th I think) and Terrence Jennings who is #9, has a top 3 with Illinois, Cal and Arizona. So lots of Illinois guys up there, I think this is the banner class the BW has wanted. Plus, '09 is stacked and the top two '09 players are from the Champaign area and '10 already has Richmond who is a top 5 player nationally. Things finally starting to look up for a true good guy in college basketball.

Bingo. It looks like the karma train is finally coming into town for Bruce Weber.

Things are looking awfully nice on the recruiting front for the O & B, but don't let any of the Weber doubters hear about it.

It has moved beyond cautiously optimistic for me for the classes of 2008 and beyond. I think we are looking at some historic recruiting classes in the near future--historic in terms of talent and high school national rankings.

Also, the new Rivals 150 is out for the class of 2008. Fresh new SIU verbal Kevin Dillard comes in at #148. #4,

There will be something wrong if Roundtree isn't in the top 150 soon, anyone who has seen him play can vouch for that.

CLo was worth every penny and more that he got.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 8, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
There will be something wrong if Roundtree isn't in the top 150 soon, anyone who has seen him play can vouch for that.

CLo was worth every penny and more that he got.

I agree, CLo is worth everything he's getting and more. And Roundtree is an unbelievable talent! He should be at least a 4-star recruit, not that that means a whole lot considering TY and Tatum were both 2-star recruits.

What do you think is going to happen with Bocot? According to Salukitalk he didn't get a qualifying ACT score.

GO DAWGS!

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 8, 2007 -> 02:13 PM)
Of Illinois interest, Darius Miller at #29

Darius Miller has a short list and here are the schools: Duke, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky and Louisville.

Source: Me

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 8, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
Devin Ebanks (2008 *****) will be visiting with IU this weekend, as he is in town for an AAU tournament.

Right now his top 2 are us and Miami (FL), Rutgers is 3rd and Texas has stopped recruiting him at this point. I think once KS shows him the place where 17,000 will be on their feet cheering as opposed to 5,000 fans who are ready for spring football practice, this kid could be ours. I'd really like to finish with a 2008 class of Ebanks, Mackey, Jones and Garcia.

I also heard that we still have a legitimate shot at Beas Hamga for 2007 (Holman could go to prep school or Jordan Crawford could be redshirted).

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 8, 2007 -> 07:59 PM)
Right now his top 2 are us and Miami (FL), Rutgers is 3rd and Texas has stopped recruiting him at this point. I think once KS shows him the place where 17,000 will be on their feet cheering as opposed to 5,000 fans who are ready for spring football practice, this kid could be ours. I'd really like to finish with a 2008 class of Ebanks, Mackey, Jones and Garcia.

I also heard that we still have a legitimate shot at Beas Hamga for 2007 (Holman could go to prep school or Jordan Crawford could be redshirted).

Well, Garcia is a heavey lean to IU, but you may have to wait an extra year if he does not make-up his school work. He is only a sophmore acedemically now, so a year in prep school after this one looks to be on the horizon.

For those of you closely following Illinois' recruiting (i.e. doc, whom I miss reading by the way; where've you been, buddy?), one noticeable difference in Weber's recruiting philosophy has been his failing to put all of his eggs in one basket and covering all his bases in his recruiting. For the first time in years, it seems like there is a distinct group-A whom the coaching staff would love to take first and foremost and plenty of contingency groups from all around the country--any one of which could come to fruition and turn into quite the commitment.

I'm eagerly awaiting the first verbal of 2008. I'm sure it will be one to remember.