Getting Antsy....ST Tix on sale sat

DABearSoX

So I have decided to take my spring break in tucson this year to spend it with my favorite pastime. For any of you that have gone down there before I could use some info on the lovely city of tucson.

Whats the best hotel to stay in pricewise/location?

What are the best bars to goto, maybe even some that the players show up at?

Is it better to rent a car or just taxi around?

What are the best seats to get at TEP?

any other info would be great too....

Hopefully one of the mods can direct you to an old thread. Understandably this topic comes up every year, and there were a few comprehensive threads filled with tips, suggestions, etc. on everything you asked about.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
Hopefully one of the mods can direct you to an old thread.  Understandably this topic comes up every year, and there were a few comprehensive threads filled with tips, suggestions, etc. on everything you asked about.

thats what I figured......I am not the best at manuvering around to find that stuff without the search function.

Sounds like you are heading down on your own. I did that last year, so I can help you out.

1. Rent a car - there is no "life" around TEP. Don't recall a hotel in walking distance to TEP.

2. Bars are around U of A campus, but TEP is not near the campus, thus again I recommend renting a car. Find out when U of A is on spring break - then don't go during that week like I did - no chicks around. Go to OMalleys on Fourth Street - sports bar with Chicago stuff. good burger, too. There's a few bars next to OMalleys within walking distance.

If you run into the players at the bars, consider yourself lucky. Tucson is too spread out to run into them.

3. I stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott, based on a brochure from soxfest. One night was $85 (tax incl.) It was the best choice. Why? I got to meet Buerhle's dad, talked to him for 15 minutes. Down there, I heard Buerhle had that "career-ending injury" and the next morning I start chatting with a guy wearing a sox shirt and he proceeds to say "Mark's my son, he's fine, ready to pitch."

4. If you're going alone, be a little thrify and spend the $15 for a seat behind home plate. Seats in the grass in the outfield are nice but you're far away from the action. Before the game, head out to the bullpen, get some Man Soo Lee autographs, then go to your seat behind home plate and enjoy it all up close.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
So I have decided to take my spring break in tucson this year to spend it with my favorite pastime. For any of you that have gone down there before I could use some info on the lovely city of tucson.

Definately rent a car...if you're down for a whole week...chances are the Sox will be in Phoenix part of that time...so check the schedule real well.

I live in Phoenix (actually Glendale about 5 minutes from Peoria Sports Complex :D )...and my girlfriend is from Tucson and she was just down there a few weeks ago for a class reunion (which I weasled out of ). She told me her and her friends went to this club that was the best club she's been too in quite some time (set up, layout, music, etc...)...I'll ask her what it was and where

I'll also look up where I got my parents hooked up at...an extended stay suite (can't remember which one...but it's about a mile and a half or two from the ball park.

I found Tucson to be extremely boring.

Finding very good seats for the games should be easy since you're flying solo. Get out to the bars EARLY, they still have a 1:00 am close time I think.

That was a GREAT tip from someone about finding out the U of A spring break schedule. It's the only chance you have at finding anyone or anything even kinda fun to do.

Another way to kill the boredom between games is to make the 1 hour drive south into Nogales, Mexico.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
I found Tucson to be extremely boring.

Get out to the bars EARLY, they still have a 1:00 am close time I think.

It's 2am now...changed it last year....and YES...Tucson is extremely boring.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
Whoa, 2 am closing time, look out.   :P

Yeah...we're stylin out here! Not that I see the 2am closing very often anyway! Hell...by 1am...I've had enough anyway if I'm out that late.

Anyway...for DaBearSox: Here's a list of hotels and how far they are from the stadium. I set my Mom and Dad up at Crosslands (studio) which is pretty close to the park. Hope this helps...

http://www.reservetravel.com/v4/redir.aspx...20Park&CCheck=1

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE(Drew @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
I am thinking about driving in from LA. Perhaps a Soxtalk meetup is in order.

I'll be down there 3/17-3/21 if any other board members will be around the same time. Not sure if I'll make the game on Friday or if we'll be arriving too late...but I'll definitely be at the game against the Scrubs on Saturday and than catch Sunday and Monday's games up north.

the drive to Tucson is a bit of a drag, but I stay in the Phoenix area every year. Also allows you to see some of the Sox road games since most of the teams are in the Phoenix area. Bring your sticks if you golf. Great food at TEP.

Usually Sox tickets are easy to come by, but something tells me this year will be different. :D

Going down there for some golf and sox. Looks the one game I know we're going to for sure is March 14th. March 13th they are in Phoenix so it's gonna be a 36, or if we can make it, 54 hole marathon. We come in March 12th, in the morning, so we might make it to the game that day or we might go golfing. It's up for a vote. Either way...I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the suggestions guys, I am gonna go down the 27th - 31st for the final three games at TEP. I checked out when UofA is on break and its the 11th - 19th.

I might be goin stag, but i think i found someone to make the trip with me, but if anyone is gonna be down there at the same time let me know.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
the drive to Tucson is a bit of a drag, but I stay in the Phoenix area every year. Also allows you to see some of the Sox road games since most of the teams are in the Phoenix area. Bring your sticks if you golf. Great food at TEP.

Usually Sox tickets are easy to come by, but something tells me this year will be different.  :D

Thats what I do. I prefer the Phoenix area to the Tuscon area. Usually I try to catch 1 game at TEP and than 2 games while they are playing down in the Phoenix area on the road.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)

If you don't find the seat that you're hoping for, look at my post regarding a week's worth of games. It's my season ticket, and it's the best seat in the stadium. I'm selling it for face value.