what reporter does the best job covering the sox?

thedoctor

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
Same with me. But just watch during the season and when some reporter or analyst picks against the Sox there is a 50 post thread talking about what a moron he is and how the Sox get no respect.

Once I left the Chicago market and wasn't surrounded by "homers", my attitude changed. Accuracy wins out over attitude.

very true.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 05:49 PM)
I could be wrong, but hasn't Cowley moved on to the SunTimes ? I could have sworn I saw an article or two later this winter by him.

Anyways, either way, Cowley is the best.

actually, you ended up being right. cowley has moved over to take over for doug padilla at the sun-times.

congrats to joe on the promotion. good to see a more wider audience is going to get a shot to read his stuff.

cheers, joe. :cheers

i've always thought cowley of the southtown does the best job. he seems to have pretty good sources and generally i like him when i've heard him talk about the team.

gonzalez of the trib did not impress me this year. padilla from the sun-times was ok, but he just left for the la times. it will be interesting to see who the s-t pulls in to cover the team this year.

I've worked with all the Sox reporters a few days every spring out here and Cowley seems to be the leader of the bunch, despite the fact that he is from a smaller paper. He's extremely funny and does a hysterical impersonation of Bartolo Colon among others, which makes him a hit with many reporters.

Gonzalez was out here in Arizona for a while and I agree with a few of the other posters that he isn't quite up to par...

Trust me, the Cubs have the better reporters right now. It's too bad, too.

actually, you ended up being right. cowley has moved over to take over for doug padilla at the sun-times.

congrats to joe on the promotion. good to see a more wider audience is going to get a shot to read his stuff.

cheers, joe. :cheers

Did the Sun-Times get rid of Padilla?

Actually, Cowley and Padilla would hang together when I saw them.

QUOTE(CluelessJoe1919 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
Trust me, the Cubs have the better reporters right now. It's too bad, too.

Is this including both the Sun Times, Tribune, among other publications? There isn't anyone whom exclusively covers the Cubs I'd consider top-notch. Mike Kiley, the Sun-Times' Cub writer, is a schill/apologist for Jim Hendry. And I don't exactly trust the integrity of any writer within the Tribune circles.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
Hell to be honest I think Cheat does a better job than almost anyone else who reports on the Sox.

There are thousands of better candidates for any sports journalist position. It's not exactly a specialized job recquiring extensive training. Sports writers and fans alike are both watching the same game, using the same statistics and quotes to create their stories. What separates them is their connections to players, and obviously, they're getting paid for their work.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Same with me. But just watch during the season and when some reporter or analyst picks against the Sox there is a 50 post thread talking about what a moron he is and how the Sox get no respect.

Once I left the Chicago market and wasn't surrounded by "homers", my attitude changed. Accuracy wins out over attitude.

Ain't that the truth!

It's quite apparent that there are a whole lot of people on these fan sites that drink way too much of the hometown Kool-Aid.

I just hope I don't get sick of it and become a Cub fan.

Padilla is no loss. Below average writer. Rarely broke a story. No real insights into baseball. CAn't remember anything memorable he ever did.

Cowley has the best sources on the team. Players seem to trust him and they will talk to him. I always read his stuff because he usually finds a way to work some entertaining tidbits into his stories.

Gregor is OK, but a notch below Cowley is getting guys to open up. Been on the beat a long time, Needs a change of scenery.

Gonzalez  can't write a lick. And since he was new to the beat last year, he was a little behind with the players. He needs a breakout season.

Paul Sullivan was the worst on the Sox. Wayyyy too much cynicism in his writing.

Phil Rogers is the only guy in town who writes with a solid national perspetive. He will give his opinion and is not a homer for either team.

Morrissey is easily the best columnist. He wrote the best column when the team was slumping, advising fans the Sox would still win.

Downey is mailing it in.

Mariotti changes directions every time his eyebrows wiggle. His opinions are knee jerk and overwrought.

Holy cow, bud!

Sullivan is probably the best beat writer and Morrissey is the world's worst and most bland columnist.

I really think that Jay Mariotti does the best job.  He isn't afraid to go against public opinion and really proves that what is popular isn't always right.

The only time Moronotti has been right is when he predicted the sCrUBS would lose in the NLCS in 2003, although I compliment him for bashing Reinsdorf after he broke up the Bulls.

Is this including both the Sun Times, Tribune, among other publications? There isn't anyone whom exclusively covers the Cubs I'd consider top-notch. Mike Kiley, the Sun-Times' Cub writer, is a schill/apologist for Jim Hendry. And I don't exactly trust the integrity of any writer within the Tribune circles.

Kiley and Sullivan are known as two of the best within the industry and they appear to have quite a rivalry going on. I'd have loved to have seen both of them working the Sox the past few seasons.

I don't see how you can see Kiley as being an apologist for Hendry. Rather, he sorts out the facts and defends the guy once in a while. I have no problem with that.

The only time Moronotti has been right is when he predicted the sCrUBS would lose in the NLCS in 2003, although I compliment him for bashing Reinsdorf after he broke up the Bulls.

JR didn't break up the Bulls!. Phil Jackson did by being greedy and trying to become the GM as well as head coach. JR stood up for his guy Krausse and the pieces fell apart one by one after Jackson quit.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)
There are thousands of better candidates for any sports journalist position. It's not exactly a specialized job recquiring extensive training. Sports writers and fans alike are both watching the same game, using the same statistics and quotes to create their stories. What separates them is their connections to players, and obviously, they're getting paid for their work.

i don't know about all that, although as a former sports writer i'm admittedly biased.

sure, could the average person with no journalism training write a game story? absolutely. it is not brain surgery.

but could the average person with no journalism training write 162 game stories, features, and breaking news stories? questionable. could you write a running game story as the game is progressing for your newspaper's first edition, then head to the lockerrom get quotes and file a writethru for the second edition less than an hour after the game is completed. i don't know about that.

i will never claim that sportswriting in general is a difficult job, but just like any job there's a lot that goes into it that you never see. that doesn't even begin to factor in what working a job comprised entirely of night and weekend work can do to your life.

Mariotti was on some video clip on ESPN this past season claiming that the Sox 2005 postseason run 'lacked the feel-good quality of the 2003 Cubs.'

If this is true, he should take the next boat to Cuba and write for their paper a while.

Give me a break. The Sox postseason run was legendary and amazing and the city paid attention, all of the city paid attention.

It was awesome and he is an idiot to say otherwise if he did say that.

He should lay off this year also as we are defending champs.