what reporter does the best job covering the sox?

thedoctor

i've always thought cowley of the southtown does the best job. he seems to have pretty good sources and generally i like him when i've heard him talk about the team.

gonzalez of the trib did not impress me this year. padilla from the sun-times was ok, but he just left for the la times. it will be interesting to see who the s-t pulls in to cover the team this year.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
i've always thought cowley of the southtown does the best job. he seems to have pretty good sources and generally i like him when i've heard him talk about the team.

gonzalez of the trib did not impress me this year. padilla from the sun-times was ok, but he just left for the la times. it will be interesting to see who the s-t pulls in to cover the team this year.

I could be wrong, but hasn't Cowley moved on to the SunTimes ? I could have sworn I saw an article or two later this winter by him.

Anyways, either way, Cowley is the best.

From the radio side, I think both stations in their updates tend to report anything in the paper as their own stories, by using the 'sources say'.

Levine seems more intune to trade rumors, most of which turn out not to happen, but he does hit once in a while...Ofman, to me at least, seems to be behind Levine, in digging up information, but he's the Score 'equal' to Levine.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 05:49 PM)
I could be wrong, but hasn't Cowley moved on to the SunTimes ? I could have sworn I saw an article or two later this winter by him.

Anyways, either way, Cowley is the best.

From the radio side, I think both stations in their updates tend to report anything in the paper as their own stories,  by using the 'sources say'.

Levine seems more intune to trade rumors, most of which turn out not to happen, but he does hit once in a while...Ofman, to me at least, seems to be behind Levine, in digging up information, but he's the Score 'equal' to Levine.

the sun-times and southtown have the same corporate ownership, so they have the rights to run each others stories. cowley did have a story in the times, but he is not a staff member there.

Best Sox reporter? We don't get the Southtown up in the NW burbs, so I don't know much about Cowley. I'm partial to Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald. I might be a little bias due to the fact that our pay checks come from the same place, but I really think he does an excellent job.

To expand this a little, I really think the best overall Chicago baseball writer is Phil Rogers. Yes, he works for the so-called "Cubune", but he's never hesitated to tell it like it is about the ballclub up north, and he always seems to have some very good insight regarding both teams. He'll occasionally throw out his "Sam Smith Style" trade suggestions, but as can be seen in the Trade Winds, they often inspire some lengthy debate.

And with the way he's been talking about the Sox lately, you'd think he was in the Sox PR department. Then again, theres nothing really negative to say at the moment. Anyways, I don't think you can go wrong with either Gregor or Rogers.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
Best Sox reporter?  We don't get the Southtown up in the NW burbs, so I don't know much about Cowley.  I'm partial to Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald.  I might be a little bias due to the fact that our pay checks come from the same place, but I really think he does an excellent job.

To expand this a little, I really think the best overall Chicago baseball writer is Phil Rogers.  Yes, he works for the so-called "Cubune", but he's never hesitated to tell it like it is about the ballclub up north, and he always seems to have some very good insight regarding both teams.  He'll occasionally throw out his "Sam Smith Style" trade suggestions, but as can be seen in the Trade Winds, they often inspire some lengthy debate.

And with the way he's been talking about the Sox lately, you'd think he was in the Sox PR department.  Then again, theres nothing really negative to say at the moment.  Anyways, I don't think you can go wrong with either Gregor or Rogers.

rogers has been very kind to the sox, with good reason. his cub dislike i think is rooted in his dislike of baker.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Brian Dolgin doesn't count?

I would say he's not a reporter - he's doing, or did do, pre-game for the White Sox, which makes it hard for somebody in that spot to be critical of the team.

I did forget Gregor from the DailyHerald - he does a good job, as mentioned.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)

Not to nitpick, but Padilla joined the San Gabriel Valley Tribune and will cover the Angels for them, as well as the other papers in the LA Daily News group.

Sorry, I'm a journalism dork.

Padilla is no loss. Below average writer. Rarely broke a story. No real insights into baseball. CAn't remember anything memorable he ever did.

Cowley has the best sources on the team. Players seem to trust him and they will talk to him. I always read his stuff because he usually finds a way to work some entertaining tidbits into his stories.

Gregor is OK, but a notch below Cowley is getting guys to open up. Been on the beat a long time, Needs a change of scenery.

Gonzalez can't write a lick. And since he was new to the beat last year, he was a little behind with the players. He needs a breakout season.

Paul Sullivan was the worst on the Sox. Wayyyy too much cynicism in his writing.

Phil Rogers is the only guy in town who writes with a solid national perspetive. He will give his opinion and is not a homer for either team.

Morrissey is easily the best columnist. He wrote the best column when the team was slumping, advising fans the Sox would still win.

Downey is mailing it in.

Mariotti changes directions every time his eyebrows wiggle. His opinions are knee jerk and overwrought.

QUOTE(FLsouthsider @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
Not to nitpick, but Padilla joined the San Gabriel Valley Tribune and will cover the Angels for them, as well as the other papers in the LA Daily News group.

Sorry, I'm a journalism dork.

lol. no prob. i heard padilla had gone to the la times from a friend of mine who covers the indians.

is it me or is the san gabriel times a huge step down from the sun-times? maybe he's a cali native, or maybe the s-t told him to take a hike.

anyway, i'm interested to see if the trib keeps with their approach of flip-flopping beat reporters. typically they've had sullivan covering the sox every other year. this would be his year.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
I really think that Jay Mariotti does the best job.  He isn't afraid to go against public opinion and really proves that what is popular isn't always right.

Is that you, Jay? :D :D

I've e-mailed Jay before to correct him on some columns when he fails to get his facts corect, and the only response was that 'dozens of people have called to congratulate him on his article.' I once replied and asked them if any of those people existed or were they just voices in his head. He never replied after that.

Jay goes against public opinion to generat interest in a story. It's what a third rate columnist does to gain attention. When you have nothing useful to say, just take the opposite of the popular view. He might as well work at the Enquirer. My favorite is when he takes both sides of an issue when it's a couple of weeks apart.

IMHO, Jay is a moron.

Bob

Mariotti was on some video clip on ESPN this past season claiming that the Sox 2005 postseason run 'lacked the feel-good quality of the 2003 Cubs.'

I love to see him get muted on Around the Horn or have his argument totally turned upside down. The guy is a total heavy-handed Phillistine.

I think by "best", people really mean who runs the most flattering articles about the Sox. Sox fans never have had much tolerance to any bad news. Who cares how they write as long as it is nice and makes us feel better.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
I think by "best", people really mean who runs the most flattering articles about the Sox. Sox fans never have had much tolerance to any bad news. Who cares how they write as long as it is nice and makes us feel better.

just from my standpoint, i don't need a guy to report happy news to make me think he's doing a good job. i want a guy to report the news accurately and fairly, and i want him to develop good enough sources that when the time arrives, a big story can be broke.

i don't mind the reporting of bad play or bad incidents, because i'd rather have an accurate view of the happenings on the team than one that's been polished up for public consumption.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
just from my standpoint, i don't need a guy to report happy news to make me think he's doing a good job. i want a guy to report the news accurately and fairly, and i want him to develop good enough sources that when the time arrives, a big story can be broke.

i don't mind the reporting of bad play or bad incidents, because i'd rather have an accurate view of the happenings on the team than one that's been polished up for public consumption.

Same with me. But just watch during the season and when some reporter or analyst picks against the Sox there is a 50 post thread talking about what a moron he is and how the Sox get no respect.

Once I left the Chicago market and wasn't surrounded by "homers", my attitude changed. Accuracy wins out over attitude.