jerry owens

MarkBuehrle_TheAce

am I the only sox fan in this forum who happens to beleive that jerry owens should be our starter in center? with him batting second, if he can hit .285 OR higher, and steal 20 bases, then our lineup would be that much more dangerous. case in point, owens would create a lot more opportunities for konerko/thome/dye to get rbi's, and we would sequatially score more runs

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
asking a rookie to hit .285.... is a huggge if.

Brian Anderson is your CF.... he has a cannon of an arm, covers enough ground, and will hit around 20HR in the 8-9 hole.

enjoy it

seriously, what is everyone's gripe with Anderson?? He's gonna be fine. It seems like everyone has jumped aboard the Owens wagon the second we traded Young. I expect Anderson to be controlling the outfield for years to come.

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
am I the only sox fan in this forum who happens to beleive that jerry owens should be our starter in center? with him batting second, if he can hit .285 OR higher, and steal 20 bases, then our lineup would be that much more dangerous. case in point, owens would create a lot more opportunities for konerko/thome/dye to get rbi's, and we would sequatially score more runs

I'm not opposed to the idea. I think he should get a shot in ST, and I think he will. Likely the job is Anderson's, but I think Owens should get a chance at it. I think he would fit in quite well.

Most people here, though, feel Owens would do better with another year in the minors.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
seriously, what is everyone's gripe with Anderson?? He's gonna be fine.  It seems like everyone has jumped aboard the Owens wagon the second we traded Young.  I expect Anderson to be controlling the outfield for years to come.

i have 0 gripe with anderson, and i think hell be a good player. I think others are probably down on him because he doesnt do anything great (with exception of throwing). He wont hit for a great average, wont hit 35 bombs, prolly wont steal 25. The thing about him is though is that all his tools are major league calibur. Should hit .280 with 20 and 15 SBs.

Edit: i am unsure about the speed numbers. I know he really didnt steal at all last year at AAA, but i know kenny has said he could steal 15. anyone get to see him with any regularity that can comment on his speed potential

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
Edit: i am unsure about the speed numbers. I know he really didnt steal at all last year at AAA, but i know kenny has said he could steal 15. anyone get to see him with any regularity that can comment on his speed potential

Supposedly he's faster than Rowand, who was 16/21 last year. If nothing else...it's hard to find 2 guys better to learn the art of stealing bases from than our first base coach and left fielder.

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)

Is it possible for you to have your own forum?

And yes you are the only person who thinks that, Jerry has ONE year of baseball experience.

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)

You're one of the few. Owens is simply not ready for the show yet. He's even admitted that he needs more experience. As far as him playing center, forget about it. He can fly, but he's got a noodle for an arm.

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)

am I the only sox fan in this forum who happens to beleive that jerry owens should be our starter in center?

Yes.

DITTO! I have never even seen the kid play about AA ball yet so don't be so quick to hand over the CF job to him. Maybe in a year or two when Dye is let go you can expect to see Owens up. Patience.

all you guys do is f***ing rip on me. knock it off, fighting on a f***ing message bored is retarded. that said, i have no problem with anderson, its just that owens fits the mold that ozzie seems to like, fast, and more fast. i think he has a solid chance at the starting job, but if we go with anderson, i have no problem

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
all you guys do is f***ing rip on me. knock it off, fighting on a f***ing message bored is retarded. that said, i have no problem with anderson, its just that owens fits the mold that ozzie seems to like, fast, and more fast. i think he has a solid chance at the starting job, but if we go with anderson, i have no problem

I wasn't rippin on you. Just don't pay attention to those who are.

owens doesnt suck on defense, he only had 3 errors last season for the barons, and i bet with that speed, he has made some spectacular plays. but, he does have a noodle arm, which worries me a little. but, if he can hit at the major league level, and doesnt make dumb mistakes on the base paths/ in the field, i think he would be a pretty good fit

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:08 PM)
owens doesnt suck on defense, he only had 3 errors last season for the barons, and i bet with that speed, he has made some spectacular plays. but, he does have a noodle arm, which worries me a little. but, if he can hit at the major league level, and doesnt make dumb mistakes on the base paths/ in the field, i think he would be a pretty good fit

Um, if you're going to judge an outfielder's defense you might not want to go by errors. That's not exactly indicative of a players defensive ability. I'm going to believe the people who have seen him play and said that he can't play CF and say that he will not be playing CF for the Sox next year or ever for that matter.

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)

Derek Jeter's career fielding percentage (based on errors) is .975, while Ozzie Smith's is .978. Is Jeter anywhere near as good as Smith was at defense? No, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence when talking about defense unless you are talking about a good defensive player and a bad one.

And Jerry Owens is a LEFTFIELDER. Not a centerfielder. He is pathetic in CF from all reports I've read and heard.