Rex should retire from NFL football.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bears are in the midst of a civil war over team direction. Lovie Smith and GM Jerry Angelo aren't speaking to one another right now. Angelo is looking to bring in a QB (Aaron Brooks or Chad Pennington) but Lovie is all but refusing to play anyone but Rex Grossman. The whole Bears delegation is very tense.

This was from another message board. Clearly I was right all along. Angelo was hinting with his statements he really does not want Rex to become a starting QB for Chicago ever, regardless what Lovie may want. In fact Lovie may not get his contract renewed as a result, wanting Rex to become a starting QB for the first time when nobody else in the organization wants it may cost him his job.

Last time I checked Lovie decides who plays and who doesn't, not Angelo. If the guy blows, the coach isn't going to play him. There are some cases where the backup is a top draft pick making a ton of money and they want to give him a shot, but that's definitely not the case with Orton.

The second part isn't really the case. There are plenty of guys that don't make it as a full-time starter in their first couple of years and end up being a starter down the road. I don't see how that matters anyways since he already is #1 on the depth chart and has been for a while.

If the GM is unhappy with the coaches decisions though the coach can be fired.

I am sure you know that, do you really think the coach can do things that are clearly against the GMs wishes?

Can you come up with examples of any players that have been in the NFL for 3 full seasons, are 26, and have never been an NFL starting QB on their team? Jake Delhomme and Kurt Warner are not examples, they were in NFL Europe and were not top draft picks. I mean somebody who was a top round draft pick and was in the NFL that many years, and are Rex's age, and have still not played more than 2 or 3 games in a single NFL season and playing a full season in the NFL as starting QB at that point?

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
This was from another message board.    Clearly I was right all along.  Angelo was hinting with his statements he really does not want Rex to become a starting QB for Chicago ever, regardless what Lovie may want.  In fact Lovie may not get his contract renewed as a result, wanting Rex to become a starting QB for the first time when nobody else in the organization wants it may cost him his job.

That still has nothing to do with Kyle Orton. It means that Angelo isn't happy with the QB situation, not that he thinks the wrong guy is playing. Adding one of those QB's would bury Orton on the depth chart.

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
If the GM is unhappy with the coaches decisions though the coach can be fired.

I am sure you know that, do you really think the coach can do things that are clearly against the GMs wishes?

Can you come up with examples of any players that have been in the NFL for 3 full seasons, are 26, and have never been an NFL starting QB on their team?   Jake Delhomme and Kurt Warner are not examples, they were in NFL Europe and were not top draft picks.    I mean somebody who was a top round draft pick and was in the NFL that many years, and are Rex's age, and have still not played more than 2 or 3 games in a single NFL season and playing a full season in the NFL as starting QB at that point?

The GM could just as easily get fired for being wrong too, so I don't really see why that matters. He'd take an awful lot of s*** for firing the coach if the other guy performs. The head coach is still going to do what he thinks gives the team the best chance to win, since that is going to be the ultimate deciding factor in his job security. The Bears offense was clearly a lot better toward the end of the season with Rex under center. Besides, there is still nothing that says that Angelo thinks that Orton can handle the job either, which is why the veteran QB's are mentioned. It's kind of hard to switch QB's when you don't have another viable option.

I listed numerous guys, and Delhomme wasn't even one of them. Those guys are even better examples that playing early doesn't matter, since they weren't even on a roster. Since when does where they picked matter? They're still quarterbacks with little experience that eventually got jobs. If anything the later picks getting a spot are better examples against your point because there is no reason to play them unless they perform, unlike people like Ryan Leaf that got the spot because they were making so much money.

You're still missing the point. There's a difference between someone that hasn't gotten any playing time because they suck and someone that had the job and got hurt. Rex has earned the starting spot and lost it, while many others didn't even get close. There's quite a bit of difference between someone like Rex, and someone like Cade McNown. Hell, Phillip Rivers hasn't even hit the field yet, and no one is giving up on him.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
This was from another message board.    Clearly I was right all along.  Angelo was hinting with his statements he really does not want Rex to become a starting QB for Chicago ever, regardless what Lovie may want.  In fact Lovie may not get his contract renewed as a result, wanting Rex to become a starting QB for the first time when nobody else in the organization wants it may cost him his job.

Thanks for quoting a reputable source like a message board. If people used message board posts as fact we would all be as crazy and misguided like yourself.

Once again, be gone.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
Thanks for quoting a reputable source like a message board.  If people used message board posts as fact we would all be as crazy and misguided like yourself.

Once again, be gone.

Thanks for catching that. I was so busy attacking the other stuff that I missed the easiest point. :bang

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
This was from another message board.  Clearly I was right all along.  Angelo was hinting with his statements he really does not want Rex to become a starting QB for Chicago ever, regardless what Lovie may want.  In fact Lovie may not get his contract renewed as a result, wanting Rex to become a starting QB for the first time when nobody else in the organization wants it may cost him his job.

LMAO, who is this source? Could you give us a link to this messageboard that proves that you are "clearly right"? I bet you wrote that yourself.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
LMAO, who is this source?  Could you give us a link to this messageboard that proves that you are "clearly right"?  I bet you wrote that yourself.

Its a guy who has media credentials for gods sake!!!!!!!!!

Once again. Americas youth has grown retarded.

That still has nothing to do with Kyle Orton. It means that Angelo isn't happy with the QB situation, not that he thinks the wrong guy is playing. Adding one of those QB's would bury Orton on the depth chart.

You may be right on that, since Angelo has stated he wants to bring in a free agent to be starting QB Orton would probably be buried. However it also ensures Orton at 2 years younger than Grossman has done something Rex has not done, and if he is not a starting QB next year will NEVER do, that is play a full year as starting QB in the NFL. :D

http://realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4...der=asc&start=0

This is where it makes it clear Angelo NEVER wants Rex to be the starting QB in Chicago.

Why would Angelo trade down to draft Grossman, passing on Byron Leftwich, and now not even like him? It can't be because Rex is fragile because why the hell would Angelo be interested in Pennington then? Doesn't make much sense, huh?

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)

Any post from a message board saying the Bears have interest in Aaron Brooks I pray is not accurate. Rex may have a history of injuries, but Brooks has a history of being not good.

Any post from a message board saying the Bears have interest in Aaron Brooks I pray is not accurate.  Rex may have a history of injuries, but Brooks has a history of being not good.

I dont know about Brooks but Pennington is believable. His former father figure at the NY Jets is now gone, and with him gone there may be little interest in keeping him there. Yet he is clearly better than Grossman, so if he is available and fairly cheap it is very believable. Who knows if he would be fairly cheap but he might be a bit more desperate if the Jets dont re-sign him.

Why would Angelo trade down to draft Grossman, passing on Byron Leftwich, and now not even like him?  It can't be because Rex is fragile because why the hell would Angelo be interested in Pennington then?  Doesn't make much sense, huh?

Well back then Angelo probably thought Rex could be a starting QB in the NFL someday. Now that 3 years has passed and it has never happened, that myth is gone probably.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
Okay, then why would Angelo want Pennington then?  That dude can't stay healthy either.

If I had Aaron Brooks and his inconsistencies in one hand, Chad Pennington and his ruined shoulder and arm in the other hand, and Rex Grossman and his two fluke injuries in my borrowed(from crazyman) fannypack, there is no contest here. Rex may or may not pan out, he DOES have to stay injury free, but I would rather put my chips on Rex.

I am still wondering why people believe the source from realGM who says he has media credentials and is at the combine. How often do people like that show up on this site and get shooed away? We all know Steff has some inside knowledge, but she doesnt blurt it out on this messageboard unless she is correcting someone who is spreading false info about a particular player or game.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
I am still wondering why people believe the source from realGM who says he has media credentials and is at the combine.  How often do people like that show up on this site and get shooed away?  We all know Steff has some inside knowledge, but she doesnt blurt it out on this messageboard unless she is correcting someone who is spreading false info about a particular player or game.

I hate to say it, but it's probably because there's at least a logical reason to be very concernend about Grossman's ability to stay healthy. He's shown no ability to do so thus far in his career. I believe each of the last 2 years, the Bears have gambled on Grossman staying healthy without a solid, proven backup, and each year, they have lost that bet. Orton is at least serviceable in that he didn't immediately lose every game he played, but at least at this point in his career, he can't be counted on to win games.

If the Bears have any doubts at all about whether or not Grossman can stay healthy, they have reason to consider other options. Which means, when people start saying those things, they're believed.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
If the Bears have any doubts at all about whether or not Grossman can stay healthy, they have reason to consider other options. Which means, when people start saying those things, they're believed.

There should be some doubt that he can stay healthy. But if he does, he is the starter bar none. There is no debate as to his status as the starter, which is bein debated here and by some retard on RealGM.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
I hate to say it, but it's probably because there's at least a logical reason to be very concernend about Grossman's ability to stay healthy.  He's shown no ability to do so thus far in his career.  I believe each of the last 2 years, the Bears have gambled on Grossman staying healthy without a solid, proven backup, and each year, they have lost that bet.  Orton is at least serviceable in that he didn't immediately lose every game he played, but at least at this point in his career, he can't be counted on to win games.

I see what you are saying, and I am all for a good backup, but this source clearly isnt indicating some competition for Orton as a serviceable backup, and rather is talking about a starter. Also, Pennington and Brooks just dont seem to fit the mold of what the Bears would be looking for. Can Pennington be counted on again? It seems like another Rex situation, except his arm is messed up instead of his leg. Brooks, well, you dont know what the guy can and will do. He has flashes of brilliance and stretches of less than mediocrity.

If i had to choose between these bozos, it would be Brooks just because you know he can stay reasonably healthy, but I would rather not make that choice.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
If i had to choose between these bozos, it would be Brooks just because you know he can stay reasonably healthy, but I would rather not make that choice.

Well, think about this, last year the Bears decided they didn't want to spend the money on someone like Warner, and wound up with Orton starting most of their games. So if that's what they're thinking about, then signing one of those guys as a backup does make sense. Especially given that there seems to be a good shot at a lot of availble QB's this year: 3 top 10 draft picks, Brees, Kitna, Brooks, Pennington all are floating around. There's maybe a little glut to the market which could push the price down.

That said...if I'm the Bears, I make the gamble on Grossman again and spend my money elsewhere, just because of how the team performed last year without Grossman. You fill in the gaps from last year (Tight End, WR, Secondary) with the couple million you have in cap room and a draft pick or two, and if Grossman stays healthy, maybe you can pull off a 14-15 win season if that defense plays like it did for the first 2/3 of last season, and if he can't stay healthy, then maybe Benson and Orton improve a bit and allow you to win 12, make the playoffs again, and then not put Tillman on Steve Smith.