IU Coaching News

mreye

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
At this point i don't even think it's IU's decision, it's Alford's decision. If he wants to leave Iowa, it's his, and if he doesn't, IU will look elsewhere. That's just how i see it going down, for better or for worse.

Trust me...he's gonna be long gone at Iowa. I am starting to think its gonna be a big time blessing in disguise. Just look at what he has next year...we are going to be terrible.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
Being on this end of the table, I still see Alford being a long shot.  I don't understand why the media keeps playing it as a done deal.  Far from it from what I've seen.

That's because it makes the most sense, and IU hasn't given the media anyone else to talk about (not that they should)

Alford almost makes too much sense, regardless of media coverage. I guess it also depends on how commited IU is to giving the job to "one of their own"

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
That's because it makes the most sense, and IU hasn't given the media anyone else to talk about (not that they should)

Alford almost makes too much sense, regardless of media coverage. I guess it also depends on how commited IU is to giving the job to "one of their own"

The "one of their own" crap is something Mike Davis said.

The same guy they forced out.

That's where that whole saying started. I don't think Greenspan necessarily believes it, unless he told MD to say it.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
The "one of their own" crap is something Mike Davis said.

The same guy they forced out.

That's where that whole saying started.  I don't think Greenspan necessarily believes it, unless he told MD to say it.

Yeah i don't think he believes it either, but i'm sure a lot of IU fans actually agree with that sentiment...maybe not those here, but yeah. I don't think they will/should limit themselves to IU grads, that would be just ignorant. But if you can find everything you want and he's an IU grad, that's just icing on the cake that could make everything even more passionate.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Yeah i don't think he believes it either, but i'm sure a lot of IU fans actually agree with that sentiment...maybe not those here, but yeah. I don't think they will/should limit themselves to IU grads, that would be just ignorant. But if you can find everything you want and he's an IU grad, that's just icing on the cake that could make everything even more passionate.

I've said this from day one and will continue to say it to any IU fan who really believes Alford is the best choice.

Would he even be considered had he not played at IU? The answer is no.

As an IU alum and someone who has started to like IU more and more as the years pass and I get over my hatred of Knight, this is an important hire.

Don't f*** it up by hiring a bum who has a worse record than Davis in the Big 10. He's won ONE NCAA tourney game with talent like Reggie Evans, Dean Oliver, Luke Recker, Brody Boyd, etc.

I mean, to those who say, well he can recruit Indiana.

I don't recall many players from Indiana going to Iowa to play for Alford, sans Boyd who wasn't even offered a scholarship by IU.

No one should actually believe that Greg Oden (Ohio St), Mike Conley (Ohio St), Josh McRoberts (Duke), Courtney Lee (Western Kentucky), Dominic James (Marquette), Anthony Winchester (Western Kentucky), etc. would have gone to IU had Steve Alford been the coach. These guys don't care about Steve Alford winning in 1987. They want a coach they can relate to and someone who is a good WINNING coach. Steve Alford is neither.

I will support IU regardless, but they can do better than Steve Alford.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
I've said this from day one and will continue to say it to any IU fan who really believes Alford is the best choice.

Would he even be considered had he not played at IU?  The answer is no.

As an IU alum and someone who has started to like IU more and more as the years pass and I get over my hatred of Knight, this is an important hire.

Don't f*** it up by hiring a bum who has a worse record than Davis in the Big 10.  He's won ONE NCAA tourney game with talent like Reggie Evans, Dean Oliver, Luke Recker, Brody Boyd, etc.

I mean, to those who say, well he can recruit Indiana.

I don't recall many players from Indiana going to Iowa to play for Alford, sans Boyd who wasn't even offered a scholarship by IU.

No one should actually believe that Greg Oden (Ohio St), Mike Conley (Ohio St), Josh McRoberts (Duke), Courtney Lee (Western Kentucky), Dominic James (Marquette), Anthony Winchester (Western Kentucky), etc. would have gone to IU had Steve Alford been the coach.  These guys don't care about Steve Alford winning in 1987.  They want a coach they can relate to and someone who is a good WINNING coach.  Steve Alford is neither.

I will support IU regardless, but they can do better than Steve Alford.

We did get Freeman from you guys and that kid is gonna be a player. Hell the strides he's made offensively in his freshman season have been ridiculous and he's one of the better defensive freshman at the point position that I've seen in a long time.

Problem is he came to Iowa solely because of Alford (Freeman's dad was teammates with Alford). My guess is if it weren't for Alford he would have been at IU. I'm glad Iowa got him but I think my biggest fear with Alford leaving is that Freeman will go join him at IU (and Freeman is one of the few younger players we have with some talent).

It should be mentioned that Freeman is from Maywood ILL (same place as Dee Brown is from IIRC).

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Agree 100%, and i'm obviously not an IU fan. Most IU haters are hoping they do hire Alford and play the whole alum card. I don't think Alford is anything special. If IU wants to get back to being a premiere program in college basketball, Alford is not the guy.

As much as I slam Alford. As a coach I actually feel he's very good. He doesn't seem to get out-coached as much as some would lead you to believe and he seems to do a good job getting his players to play hard.

I haven't seen his teams ever give up and that says something consider the whole Pierre Pierce incident. That obviously set him back but its not like he has the aura of IU to help land recruits. I'm willing to admit its tougher to recruit at Iowa, especially with ISU doing such a good job in recent years of landing the in-state recruits).

Alford has a lot of connections in the state and would be very very sucessful there. I think he's learned more about the type of guy he should recruit too (in terms of not just a skilled player, but a quality individual).

Defensively his teams play hard and out of time outs I have to say we run some of the better plays in the country. The fact of the matter is the team doesn't have the athletes that some of the other big 10 schools have and that makes it difficult. We can't get high percentage fast break points like the Illini, Spartans.

And while I slam the fact that those teams with Oliver/Evans/Recker didn't go deep, it should be mentioned that Recker's knee was the single greatest reason those teams didnt' make some serious noise.

I am dissapointed because Alford had the tools to make Iowa into a power in college basketball. He had success at SW Missouri State and was one of the rising stars in terms of collegiate coaches when we got him. With all that, Iowa had a lot of expectations and I'm just hoping the next guy can take the program farther than Alford did.

Afterall, its not like the Illini were some national power in basketball until recently and I think Iowa has the type of school and tradition that could become a power (they have as good of an atmosphere when it comes to football as any team in the country and we have one of the best coaches in the country). Its still a real tough draw recruiting into Iowa.

Two things....

1. Krush, there was a good article in the Indy Star a day or two ago that talked about Greenspan and how he has handled past coaching hires. To a man, everyone that has ever dealt with him said he pretty much handles things himself and reveals no information at all. It is realistic to think Greenspan could talk either directly to several coaches or to those in contact with those coaches and their names never hit the papers other than the standard rumors you hear flying now. So I will be patient and see how all of this plays out. I am not convinced Alford is a slam dunk either.

2. Aboz, while I agree with you for the most part on the current IU situation, I'm not with you completely on Alford. I do think Alford would fit at IU. I do think he could recruit the state. Part of what has been missing with IU is the program having a feeling of family, a feeling of togetherness across the state.

If Alford could rebuild that, rally the HS coaches (which his father would certainly help with as he is very respected in the state), then such recruits as those you mentioned would look at the Hoosiers in a much different light. Lately, a recruit looking at the Hoosiers would see an outsider coaching them that always seemed to be on the ropes with his job. If Davis didn't make a personal connection, then the allure of going to IU in recent years just hasn't been there for "local" kids.

All that said, I am not convinced Alford is the best guy for the job, but I do think there is a legitimacy to bringing in "one of your own". Many schools and programs, both in football and basketball have had great success staying within the family. Someone with familiarity of the program could have an advantage over someone that does not. Of course, that is not the only criteria, but could be a helpful one.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
We did get Freeman from you guys and that kid is gonna be a player.  Hell the strides he's made offensively in his freshman season have been ridiculous and he's one of the better defensive freshman at the point position that I've seen in a long time. 

Problem is he came to Iowa solely because of Alford (Freeman's dad was teammates with Alford).  My guess is if it weren't for Alford he would have been at IU.  I'm glad Iowa got him but I think my biggest fear with Alford leaving is that Freeman will go join him at IU (and Freeman is one of the few younger players we have with some talent). 

It should be mentioned that Freeman is from Maywood ILL (same place as Dee Brown is from IIRC).

I really doubt Freeman would go to Indiana. To transfer from one Big 10 team to another means you would give up your eligibility for a scholarship. Freeman would have to pay his way at IU.

I'd take him.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9272381

Monty hearts IU: Through various middlemen, former Stanford coach Mike Montgomery has made it clear that he's interested in Indiana if Indiana is interested in him. Montgomery is enduring his second straight losing NBA season at Golden State. For the record, in my book, Montgomery should be the first choice at Indiana. What he did at Stanford (393-167) boggles the mind. Imagine him at Indiana.

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)
Montgomery would probably bring Smart along with him too. Which would be an added bonus. I would be estatic if IU got him.

That'd be a sweet deal. Smart isn't too bad of a coach. I saw him coach Damon Bailey and the Fort Wayne Fury before Isiah destroyed the CBA. And it'd give us "one of our own," if that's really needed.

Ole Miss would seem like a logical place for Davis as well with their coach just resigning. Hes probably gonna get some good offers especially if they have a nice run in the tourney. I just hope he doesnt take DJ White and Vaden with him.

Rex, any news on Davis down there in the south?

Would he be a candidate at UAB if Anderson leaves?

Heard more on the Arizona State thing today and that RV and White would go with him if he does land that job.

Edited by aboz56

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 01:49 AM)
Rex, any news on Davis down there in the south?

He's being mentioned as a candidate at Ole Miss, but nothing hot and heavy. I hear Andy Kennedy is a top candidate for Ole Miss also if he doesn't get the UC job.

I think he would be a candidate for UAB, but not sure how serious of one. The one thing that many people may underestimate is that despite being from the same university system, the University of Alabama (Davis' alma mater) and UAB cannot stand each other when it comes to athletics. Not sure if there would be any issues there.

Edited by Rex Hudler