NFL Off-Season Rumor Mill

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
The Vikes should REALLY want that to happen, IMO.  The Culpepper in Miami thing, that is.

Personally though, I just don't see the Vikes getting to the point in the draft where they can find a guy to replace Culpepper in the next year or two.  We saw them perform with Johnson...if they come out and are a .500 team for the next year or two, then they won't have a shot at a top-tier QB unless it's through FA.  And given how many QB's are out there right now, and the fact that they have a metric f***ton of salary cap room this year, I think this is the year they should make a run at a new QB if they're moving Daunte.

Good point. You never know, Brees might be the guy. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but, hasn't it been reported that the Vikings were showing interest in Brees weeks ago? Wasn't that kind of the starting point for all this...kinda got the ball rolling?

If I'm the Bears, I'm worried if Brees ends up with the Vikings. The guy is a straight-gamer and if they surround him with the right pieces, they could be a dangerous team for the next few years. If you sign Drew Brees, draft DeAngelo Williams, and get some type of package for Culpepper, you got something to run with right there.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
Good point.  You never know, Brees might be the guy.  Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but, hasn't it been reported that the Vikings were showing interest in Brees weeks ago?  Wasn't that kind of the starting point for all this...kinda got the ball rolling?

If I'm the Bears, I'm worried if Brees ends up with the Vikings.  The guy is a straight-gamer and if they surround him with the right pieces, they could be a dangerous team for the next few years.  If you sign Drew Brees, draft DeAngelo Williams, and get some type of package for Culpepper, you got something to run with right there.

Even if the Vikes don't wind up with Brees...the Bears really should be looking over their shoulder. Both the Vikes and the Packers have a ton of salary cap space this year even if a new CBA isn't signed, and if a lot of names wind up on the market they are both in a position to really cash in. And the Packers suffered through an absolutely ridiculous number of injuries last year too.

The Bears really need to focus on winning next year. Which means they probably need to gamble on Grossman again, but find a better backup if one's available (and several are certain to be), fill in the TE slot, find another wideout, and improve their DB's. And they really shouldn't try to do anything but the TE with a rookie, unless they're just shooting for depth.

If the Vikings release Culpepper and dont sign Brees they are pretty much going to be on the decline. Brad Johnson is nothing but avg. if that and their defense while on the rise isnt good enougn to compensate for an avg. to below avg. offense. While Culpepper had a down year last season I still think he is a great QB.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, Daunte Culpepper is about 24 hours from being traded to most likely the Raiders, but possibly to the Dolphins or Jets.

This is going to be a lot of fun.

Culpepper back with Moss in Oakland? I mean, you can't write this stuff...

Bring on the off-season!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 07:27 AM)
Personally, i woud love to have Culpepper, the guy would be the most talented QB in chicago in a long time.  I dont see the vikes trading him to us however.  I also saw that Javon Walker asked to be traded, I wouldnt mind picking him up either.

Coming off an injury-plagued season with the contract renegotiation he signed just before the season after a "Next Question" inspired holdout...I think Walker isn't a smart investment right now. If he's 100% healthy, he'll earn his money, but he sure won't be a bargain, and if he's not 100%, he won't earn it.

Posted this in the other thread, but in case no one saw it: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...dpost&p=1062668

Deal Confirmed

11:25 PM

3/9/06

Rumors of a possible deal that will send Daunte Culpepper to the St. Louis Rams for current starting quarterback Marc Bulger and a "mid-round" selection in the 2006 draft have been confirmed tonight. A source close to the situation has told Vikingsboard that the deal has been struck in principle, and is awaiting the Saturday Free Agent deadline for finalization.

"This is not to say that a last minute offer from another team won't be entertained" said the source "But I can tell you with almost certainty that if nobody else steps up in the next 24 hours with a better offer, Culpepper will be a Ram before the weekend is out"

The mid round selection is believed to be a fourth rounder, however that could not be confirmed.

More information to follow.

http://www.vikingsboard.net/

Take it however you want to take it, but this is the second time I've heard the Rams.

And he's not going to the Raiders supposedly.

Vikings not passing up Culpepper trade

By Adam Schefter, NFL Analyst

(March 9, 2006) -- The Minnesota Vikings have a deal in place to trade quarterback Daunte Culpepper, team officials confirmed Thursday. The trade is imminent, with the deal expected to go through Friday, just before the start of free agency.

Where Culpepper is going is the biggest mystery in the league. As of now, it is not Oakland. The Raiders and Vikings spoke Thursday, but Oakland is trying to gauge whether or not it wants to try to match, or beat, the other teams' offer. It will spend Thursday night mulling its decision.

But the Vikings have made it clear that they have found a suitable trade partner, with suitable compensation, and now Culpepper and the Vikings each will get their wish. They will part ways, leaving on more bitter terms than wide receiver Randy Moss left Minnesota last season.

Culpepper could not get along with new Vikings coach Brad Childress, and the quarterback has upset various members of the organization with what they feel is his immature behavior. Their relationship, by all accounts, will end Friday. But the only ones who knows where Culpepper's next relationship will resume are the Vikings and their trading partner.

Teams in need of quarterbacks include Miami, New Orleans, Detroit, the New York Jets, the Baltimore Ravens and the Oakland Raiders, who still have not released Kerry Collins, even if it has been reported that they have.

Chances are, one of those places will be Culpepper's home this season.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9295762

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
Personally, i woud love to have Culpepper, the guy would be the most talented QB in chicago in a long time.  I dont see the vikes trading him to us however.  I also saw that Javon Walker asked to be traded, I wouldnt mind picking him up either.

Walker played this game with Thompson last year and Walker was the one who blinked. I doubt he will get what he wants until he proves he can play.

Hold The Phones

8:45 AM

3/10/06

Late last night VB.net reported breaking news that a possible deal sending Daunte Culpepper to the St. Louis Rams for current starting quarterback Marc Bulger and a "mid-round" selection was imminent. This was confirmed by two sources close to the situation, one of which came directly from within the Rams organization.

The news appears to have changed as of early this morning however, when Vikings board confirmed with no less than two sources that there are now other players in the mix.

"After the news of the Rams' offer became public, two other highly interested clubs decided to jump into the fray with more serious offers" said one source out of Minnesota. The other insider is telling us that the club most interested now is Oakland and "another AFC team".

Vikingsboard believes that team is the Miami Dolphins, but our insider refused to confirm or deny that.

More information to follow.

http://www.vikingsboard.net/

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
Coming off an injury-plagued season with the contract renegotiation he signed just before the season after a "Next Question" inspired holdout...I think Walker isn't a smart investment right now.  If he's 100% healthy, he'll earn his money, but he sure won't be a bargain, and if he's not 100%, he won't earn it.

I personally think that Brett Favre kinda threw him under the bus last offseason and made him look like a worse guy than he is. Also Waker said that now its impossible for him to live and play in Green Bay because Favre fans hate Walker now.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
I personally think that Brett Favre kinda threw him under the bus last offseason and made him look like a worse guy than he is.  Also Waker said that now its impossible for him to live and play in Green Bay because Favre fans hate Walker now.

anyone who has rosenhaus (or however you spell it) makes you look like a worse guy then you are. thats why he was fired.

Alright, now he's cut.

Per roto:

ESPN's John Clayton says the Raiders have cut Kerry Collins.

With the move official, Oakland now has $9.2 million more in cap space. Clayton reports this gives them the freedom to pursue Daunte Culpepper. Mar. 10 - 6:38 pm et

Browns | Team wastes no time in signing Givens

Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:01:46 -0800

Zac Jackson, of ClevelandBrowns.com, reports the Cleveland Browns wasted no time in free agency by signing free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) to an undisclosed contract.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 05:14 AM)
Browns | Team wastes no time in signing Givens

Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:01:46 -0800

Zac Jackson, of ClevelandBrowns.com, reports the Cleveland Browns wasted no time in free agency by signing free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) to an undisclosed contract.

Or not. It may have been a hacker who put the story up, or so sez Givens' agent.

You bother to hack into a site and that's the best you can do? Dunno about the explanation, but he's not a Brown.

Big signing for the Browns...

Browns | Team signs Bentley

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:55:37 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns have agreed on a contract with free agent C LeCharles Bentley. Terms of the contract are not yet known.

Lots of people were assuming he would sign in Phily.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns have agreed on a contract with free agent C LeCharles Bentley. Terms of the contract are not yet known.

Wait...woa!

I thought there was ink with Philadelphia.

Well done, Browns. Romeo is going to turn that thing around. The Browns rising back to power would be a great story and just a great thing for football in general.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)

Thats a good signing for the Browns. Looks like they are trying to improve their offense this year.