2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review believes Mike Gonzalez could go to the Yankees in a three-team deal with the Braves.

Pittsburgh would get Adam LaRoche and Kyle Davies from the Braves. Going to Atlanta would be Melky Cabrera and Scott Proctor from the Yankees and Jose Castillo from the Pirates. The Red Sox and Diamondbacks are also interested in Gonzalez, and the Braves may not have ruled out trading for him for themselves.

Check this out.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...layer_id=118986

Full Name: Joe Coffee Table

Born: 05/22/1966

Birthplace: Azua, Dominican Republic

Height: 6'3" Weight: 235

Bats: Right

Throws: Right

College: N/A

MLB Debut: 09/10/1987

Joe Coffee Table...he and his wife Mirla have 6 children; sons Ralph (6/29/79), Juan Jose (8/4/85), Jesse (8/17/88), and Jose Jr. (8/13/93), and daughters Yamely (1/15/74) and Yenny (7/16/87)...

So he was 7 when his first daughter was born, and 13 when his first son was born.

:huh:

BALLA!

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
Check this out.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/p...ayer_id=118986

Full Name: Joe Coffee Table

Born: 05/22/1966

Birthplace: Azua, Dominican Republic

Height: 6'3" Weight: 235

Bats: Right

Throws: Right

College: N/A

MLB Debut: 09/10/1987

Joe Coffee Table...he and his wife Mirla have 6 children; sons Ralph (6/29/79), Juan Jose (8/4/85), Jesse (8/17/88), and Jose Jr. (8/13/93), and daughters Yamely (1/15/74) and Yenny (7/16/87)...

So he was 7 when his first daughter was born, and 13 when his first son was born.

:huh:

BALLA!

dead link

The Twinkies signed Rondell White to another 1 year, $2.75 million deal for next year as their DH/DL guy. This is a relief to me, as I was worried coming into the offseason that they'd be able to upgrade that spot.

Marcus Giles passed a physical and will sign with the Padres.

Ryan Klesko signed a 1 year deal with the Giants.

Greg Gagne passed what was described as an "Extensive" physical and is now the Rangers new closer.

J.D. Drew's deal with the Red Sox is still not finalized due to "some things in the medical reports the Red Sox weren't aware of". Presumably the deal will still go through, but there will probably be a little bit of injury-protection added for the Red Sox.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
The Twinkies signed Rondell White to another 1 year, $2.75 million deal for next year as their DH/DL guy. This is a relief to me, as I was worried coming into the offseason that they'd be able to upgrade that spot.

They'll upgrade, but it may not be as big of one as they'd hoped for. I would be quite surprised if he has another OPS+ around 66.

Former Royals Manager Tony Muser will manage a rookie league team for the Padres.

Rod Barajas is finalizing a $2.5 million deal with the Phillies after backing out of a deal with Toronto and switching agents.

Jeff Suppan has received a 4 year offer from the Brewers.

Sammy Sosa has begun a trainign program in the hopes of returning to the big leagues.

Cuban Infielder Juan Miranda signed a 4 year, $2 million deal with the Yankees.

I think Free Agency has gotten to Barry Zito's head.

"They're all good teams, and they're all good locations," Zito was quoted by the Chronicle as having said. "But what I'm looking for is an owner who sees eye-to-eye with me in my goal to lead a team to multiple World Series championships.

"I want to raise the bar. It's great to get to the playoffs. But I think this year, we [the A's] were too satisfied with getting past the first round, myself included. I was so fired up to face [Johan] Santana at Minnesota that, coming back against Detroit, I don't think I had that same fire.

"So I'm working on some mental stuff. I'm not going to be satisfied with anything else except getting a ring at this point in my career. I'm trying to lead a team like Sandy Koufax did, and I need an owner who shares that desire."

and

"Everyone wants to talk about how I'm not a No. 1 starter or how I'm getting worse, just so they can save some money," Zito said. "I'd expect all that. I wouldn't be surprised if teams are putting this out to their media to create a collective consciousness, saying, 'Why should he get this or that?'

"Everyone wants to buy low and sell high. But all we want is market value, and that's been set the past six [to] eight weeks. When you look at value, what's more valuable -- keeping another $20 million in the bank when you already have hundreds of millions of dollars, or getting a player of value? But let people panic, let them talk about me, say I [stink]. We'll see where the chips land."

Dude thinks he's worth more than Chris Carpenter and Roy Oswalt. Wow.

And he thinks he's capable of leading a team like Koufax? Only two pitchers alive today deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Sandy Koufax and they're Pedro and Maddux, IMO.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
I don't necessarily think it's wrong for him to sell himself high but I think it's intellectually honest to suggest that he's worth more on the market than Oswalt or Carpenter and I think it's disrespectful to the game for him to talk about himself as Sandy Koufax.

You're putting all the words into Zito's mouth.

No where in the quotes you posted does he say he's worth more than Oswalt and Carpenter; he's talking about his market value alone.

And all he said was that he aspires to be like Sandy Koufax. I don't see where he said was equal to him in anyway.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
I'm not a Zito fan, but that is the type of player I would want on my team.

Sorry, I just don't think he said anything wrong.

Exactly. I'm not really a Zito fan. However, he's said nothing wrong in those quotes, unless you Mariotti them to believe so.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
Rollie Fingers has a blog. It kind of sucks, but hey, it's Rollie Fingers, so it's kind of cool.

http://www.rolliefingerssportsblog.com/blog/

Imagine how fast he could type if he could train his mustache to hit the g and h keys on his keyboard.

Edited by Balta1701

Was talking to an Astros fan friend and she told me something about Oswalt that I didn't know before.

His arm went bad in the minor leagues. The Astros tinkered with his mechanics, tried to change the position of his foot, and he started to get sore in his shoulder, bad enough that he began taking painkillers on his own. When he went home for the offseason in the fall of 1999, his arm was killing him. One day, as he worked underneath the hood of his truck, standing on a metal bucket, he reached for the spark plug wires and electricity surged through him. He jerked himself away from the truck, fell to the ground and, after catching his breath, he lifted his arm. No pain. Doctors told Oswalt the shock had loosened an impingement in his shoulder.

That's really cool.

Foulke the Indians. Joins Borowski and Roberto Hernandez in Cleveland's attempt to gather up every ex-Chicago Closer they can find. Aaron Fultz also joined their bullpen earlier this offseason, so that's 4 new relievers Cleveland has picked up, and they're almost guaranteed to be better than the guys Cleveland had in their pen last year, mainly because a few trained chimps probably could have improved their bullpen last year.

Jeff Suppan signed a 4 year, $42 million deal with the Brewers.

Man, this market, I mean, this market (shakes head).

Juan Rivera broke his left leg while playing winterball. He's being flown back to Miami for further examination.

It may have just become even more important for the Angels to try to find another bat. Just by hitting a little bit, Rivera was a lifesaver for the Angels last year. They still desperately need someone to hit behind Vlad, and this could set them back even more in that department.