The official Soxtalk 2006 predictions thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
I don't know why I keep feeling this, but the eternal optimist feels that we're going to disappoint for some reason.

i'm a little scared too, and I'm generally pretty up-beat about my sox' future returns

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest V for Venereal
Pick anything and everything here... Mostly lets see what their record will be, and who will have the preformances of note, both good and bad.  Also if the Sox will have any award winners, what the final attendance will be, how many HRs Pods will hit, who will be the hot prospect at the end of 2006. etc...

Let's hear it!

I'll just cut and paste from last year:

95 wins and ALCS loss (5 games).

What a year this one promises to be, though, huh? Mercy.

Without Timo, Willie and Luis, it's tough to see this team repeating. Yet, since hope springs eternal, I predict the Sox will win the division in the last week of the season.

I predict the Central's going to be a dog fight all year, with the twinkies pitching staff keeping them very close. Hands down the best division in baseball.

I predict the biggest move of the season will be picking up El Duque off waivers for the playoff run (sorry, I'll never forget that 6th inning in Boston. Never. )

I predict Jerry Owens will be leading off and playing left before the season is finished - Pods is not so young and injuries are catching up.

I predict Frank Thomas will launch a prodigious home run upon his return to the south side (in a losing effort).

I predict the curse of Oakland will continue to haunt the Sox. They'll win once there.

I predict members of Soxtalk will "politely" ask me to stop bashing Joe Crede when he's hitting .160 in June (reminding me that he's a second half hitter).

I predict the first criticism of KW's offseason moves on this board will come no later than May 1st (not by me - I swear).

I predict that no matter how they finish the season, nothing will ever be so sweet as going 11-1 in October '05.

play ball

* Sox win between 97-102 games, win Division by 3+ games

* Sox have 5 pitchers with 15 wins and 200IP

* Sox have 3 players with 30 HRs

* Sox hit 200 HRs again

* Uribe improves

* Iguchi struggles early

* Pods steals 70+

* Mackowiak plays more than expected

* Vazquez pitches better than expected

* Garland is not a one year wonder, pitches well

* Anderson starts out slow, then heats up

* AJ ups his BA to .280

* Sweeney is a late season call up

* Cotts continues his dominance

* Sox have less one run games

* Sox lock up Contreras with new contract

AL Central

Sox

AL East

Yankees

AL West

Oakland

Wild Card

Indians

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(TLAK @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
Its too early to tell.  I want to see how they will play together as a team and I just can’t tell based on the early ST games. 

The team is so different I can’t use last year as a frame of reference, if Hermanson can’t go that will be 9 new guys since the WS.  That’s a lot. 

If they can play like last years group, and I don’t mean statistics, but how the players, including the subs, all knew their role and did their jobs, they could be even better –I concede, except for the bottom of the pen,  there is more raw talent.

My fear is players going for homers instead of moving runners and trying to make the great play instead of basic baseball.  While 7 of the 8 regular position players are back, there will be enough playing time from the new guys to spoil the mix.

If they play together like the ’05 Sox, who played the game like the White Sox I grew up watching in the 50’s and 60’s I think they will be fine.  If they play like the bopper teams of 2002-4 they will finish just like the bopper teams. 

If they play together like the ’05 Sox, I’ll be happy where ever they end up.

I share some of your fears about their style of play.

But this team is not really all that different from last year. 7 of 8 position players are the same, 4 of 5 starting pitchers are the same, closer and set up men are the same. The core is still mostly there (except Rowand).

The White Sox have a better team than last year, but will win less games and not win the divison. Despite this, the White Sox will make the playoffs.

Jim Thome will have an OBP over .400, stay healthy, and hit 35 plus home runs.

We will make at least 2 more trades this season, and 1 will involve Jose Contreras.

Brian Anderson will be just as good defensively as Aaron Rowand, and still get all kinds of s*** from the fans. Anderson will also have a better batting average than at least 2 everyday players.

And finally.....I will actually enjoy this season, since the pressure of 1917 is gone. LET'S GET THIS s*** DONE, GO SOX!!

- The Sox will Finally win a series vs the A's.

- We will trade for a reliver by all-star break

- One of our pitchers will throw a no hitter

- one of our pitchers will win 20 games

- all our starters will throw 200 + innings

- all of our starters will win at least 15 games

- Sox will hit 200 + homeruns as a team, again.

- We will smoke the royals.

- Hermanson will miss this year.

- Sox games will be very crowded

- Konerko and Thome will combine for over 240 Rbi's

- Konerko and Thome will combine for 4 stolen bases.

- AJ will hit closer to .280, but homeruns will be down.

- Cintron will be fan favorite, hit .295

What's up everyone, im new here to SoxTalk. I have been a loyal reader for a long time but my registration email had some problems. I have gotten it to work now and would like to say whats up to everyone.

As for my prediction, im going to say that Freddy is going to have a huge year. A CY Young type year. Just a feeling that I got.

QUOTE(JenksForPrez45 @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
What's up everyone, im new here to SoxTalk.  I have been a loyal reader for a long time but my registration email had some problems.  I have gotten it to work now and would like to say whats up to everyone.

As for my prediction, im going to say that Freddy is going to have a huge year.  A CY Young type year.  Just a feeling that I got.

Welcome to the board!

And I hope you are right about Freddy.

My whole thing that I worry about--well, not really--is that people just worry about winning the division first.

Remember, that was the mantra last year: just win the damn division and we'll cross the other bridges as we come to them.

Well, that sure worked out--so if it ain't broke...

That said, it's going to be a tough division this year. Cleveland is PISSED. Minnesota's always good, who knows about the Tigers, and I'm sure KC is sick of being our b**** like they were last season.

Good news: winning a tough division is sure a good warmup.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
Why not?  Contreras has been streaky since his days with the Yankees.

That said, he'd probably be traded before being demoted to the 'pen.

He would have to have an era over 5 or 6 to get demoted to the pen. There's no chance in hell that's gonna happen. And if it did, you think we would be able to trade him? What's the market for a 34 year old pitcher with an era over 5?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
You're still stuck on the Yankees version of Contreras?  That guy doesn't even exist to me.

You realize he sucked while wearing a White Sox jersey too.. right?

I also have a feeling we may lose a lot of those one run games we won last year.

How can that continue two years in a row?

However, I think our strong starting pitching will remain great and will lead us

to the division crown. Hopefully the sox roster is strong enough to win the

division.

Uribe-emerging star.

Scott P - I fear an off year or injjury plagued.

Iguchi, good year.

Thome- Have a bad feeling.

Dye - Another good year.

A.J. - Same as last year.

Anderson - I have no idea. No feel.

Crede - Better year than last year. Becoming a star.

Mark B. - The same. An All Star.

Contreras - If healthy, even better regular season.

Jon - I think he's going to excel again. Don't think he's a fluke.

Vazquez - He'll do fine.

I sense for some reason McCarthy will be this year's Hermy. Filling in

as a closer if Jenks is inconsistent. I can't see Jenks closing all year.

Oz will play the hot hand and we'll win the division over a Detroit team

that will overtake the Tribe.