USA vs. Mexico

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Korea wins now.

Who am I kidding?  I wanted Korea to win since they advanced to the second round.  And I can't say a part of me didn't want to see America get eliminated.

Why the hell would you want America to lose....move to Korea if you like em so much.....you think theres people in mexico wanting the Mexicans to lose?

that shows no patriotism at all...

There is a reason we always suck now in international competition. In terms of their importance:

America: Club Play >>>>> International Play

Rest of World: International Play >>>>> Club Play

We will never be great against other countries because we don't take the games 1/10th as serious as they do.

QUOTE(WhiteSox311 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
Why in the hell would want them to lose? I really don't understand that.

Because I derive none of my self worth from how a bunch of millionaires perform in a silly tournament.

Because the rest of America will forget about this by tomorrow. Japan, Korea, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic are going crazy right now, and they'll still be talking about it a year from now.

Because I don't believe in false nationalism. Rooting for your country in a sporting event from the comfort of your living room doesn't make you a patriot.

Because they put together an pathetic all-star team. Matt f***ing Holliday? Al Lieter? Vernon Wells? Letting Griffey play CF when he's the worst defensive CFer in the game.

Because they named Buck Martinez the manager. Buck Martinez is an idiot.

Because a loss by the Americans will help with the long term sucess of the WBC

Because a loss by the Americans will help them put a less pathetic team on the field in 3 years.

Because a loss by the Americans means I get to see more of the Japanese players, specifically Daisuke Matsuzaka, who should start the semi-final game. Nishhioka looks like a pretty good player too. He could be posted in a couple of years. If not, he'll still be in the MLB at age 30 after his contract expires.

Guest V for Venereal
Because I derive none of my self worth from how a bunch of millionaires perform in a silly tournament.

Because the rest of America will forget about this by tomorrow. Japan, Korea, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic are going crazy right now, and they'll still be talking about it a year from now.

Because I don't believe in false nationalism. Rooting for your country in a sporting event from the comfort of your living room doesn't make you a patriot.

Because they put together an pathetic all-star team. Matt f***ing Holliday? Al Lieter? Vernon Wells? Letting Griffey play CF when he's the worst defensive CFer in the game.

Because a loss by the Americans will help them put a less pathetic team on the field in 3 years.

Because a loss by the Americans means I get to see more of the Japanese players, specifically Daisuke Matsuzaka, who should start the semi-final game. Nishhioka looks like a pretty good player too. He could be posted in a couple of years. If not, he'll still be in the MLB at age 30 after his contract expires.

You read my mind. Or rather, a tip of it, anyway.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)

Thank you for posting my thoughts.

The USA could have put a better team together of players that didn't go.

The championship game was handed to them. It is sad the Venezual (sp?) and Pueto Rico are eliminated.

One name, Al Leiter.

I do feel bad for the guys that went but the taste of how this thing was handed to the US, I can not handle.

O and most of the players on the white sox arent millionaires? Ya the mlb season is just a bunch of games just like the WBC.

so far its the top story on most sports shows and i highly doubt other countries have nothing better to do than go crazy because the US lost at an experimental event

the US still put a pretty good team out there and griffey might not be the best american cf but he his pretty close to being the best offensive american cf

i agree with the Buck Martinez being an idiot reference...he puts out ozzie guillen sunday US lineups out there

i dont think a loss for the US this early in the tournament helps the wbc

again the us team was not that pathetic its just that they were playin home run derby and not tryin to advance runners

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
This is a double kick in the face to the Bush Administration. Cuba is in the semi-finals after origanally not being allowed to participate, and Team USA is out. If Cuba won the whole thing, just imagine the embarisment Bush would have to deal with. :lol:  :lolhitting

I doubt the Bush administration gives a flying f*** about that.

QUOTE(WhiteSox311 @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
so far its the top story on most sports shows and i highly doubt other countries have nothing better to do than go crazy because the US lost at an experimental event

It's the top NEWS story on every News program & paper in Korea, Japan, Cuba & the Dominican.

the US still put a pretty good team out there and griffey might not be the best american cf but he his pretty close to being the best offensive american cf

Griffey can play DH then.

i dont think a loss for the US this early in the tournament helps the wbc

Then you don't have a very good understanding about what the WBC is all about.

It's the top NEWS story on every News program & paper in Korea, Japan, Cuba & the Dominican.

Griffey can play DH then.

Then you don't have a very good understanding about what the WBC is all about.

ya ok show me the links to those top news storys......the biggest news in those countrys in not the us losing to mexico thats rediculous....maybe sports story but it wont be tomorrow for them....

griffey is not a bad cf....did he make any costly errors??? NO

ahahahhahhahahahahaa

QUOTE(WhiteSox311 @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
ya ok show me the links to those top news storys......the biggest news in those countrys in not the us losing to mexico thats rediculous....maybe sports story but it wont be tomorrow for them....

I don't really know the links of foriegn news papers, but I can show you the front pages...

newpapers6lc.jpg

Here are a couple of online links front page of the Korea Times -- And Here

Meanwhile in the major US Papers...

The NYT has no mention of the WBC on the front page, but includes a pic and story about the NCAA tourney.

The Chicago Trib has no mention of the US on the front page, but a huge pic of Illini basketball.

The LA Times has a picture of Griffey in the bottom right had corner and says story inside.

The Houston Chronicle makes no mention of it on the front page

The San Francisco chronicle makes no mention of it on the front page

The Washington Post has a big picture about the GW win over the mighty UNC Wilmington, but no WBC mention on the front page.

The readers digest of newspapers, USA Today, has no mention of it on the front page.

It's amazing how unaware you are of the world around you.

I don't really know the links of foriegn news papers, but I can show you the front pages...

newpapers6lc.jpg

Here are a couple of online links front page of the Korea Times -- And Here

Meanwhile in the major US Papers...

The NYT has no mention of the WBC on the front page, but includes a pic and story about the NCAA tourney.

The Chicago Trib has no mention of the US on the front page, but a huge pic of Illini basketball.

The LA Times has a picture of Griffey in the bottom right had corner and says story inside.

The Houston Chronicle makes no mention of it on the front page

The San Francisco chronicle makes no mention of it on the front page

The Washington Post has a big picture about the GW win over the mighty UNC Wilmington, but no WBC mention on the front page.

The readers digest of newspapers, USA Today, has no mention of it on the front page.

It's amazing how unaware you are of the world around you.

ya god forbid i dont know whats on the front page of ten different states newspapers LOL :lol:

you said every country was celebrating the US loss and you only have mexico who actually beat the us which is understandable, and thats probably their sports page.....,ya it might not be on the front page of newspapers cuz sports isnt more important than....oh i dont know...actual news!! in the US....but the us loss is on the front page of every sports section of every newspaper in america.....and the korean one is not celebrating the us loss.....and its also pry the sports page

QUOTE(WhiteSox311 @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)
you said every country was celebrating the US loss and you only have mexico who actually beat the us which is understandable, and thats probably their sports page.....,ya it might not be on the front page of newspapers cuz sports isnt more important than....oh i dont know...actual news!! in the US....but the us loss is on the front page of every sports section of every newspaper in america.....and the korean one is not celebrating the us loss.....and its also pry the sports page

I never said anyone was celebrating the US loss. You're looking at this way to America-centricly. (Yeah, I think I made up a word there.)

I said 4 countries were going crazy for the WBC right now. They have been for over a week now. You can't deny that. You tried, and failed. Take a step back, find the shift key, and think about what this tournament means to average Jose Cubano & Juan Dominican.

This is about growing the game. This is a much bigger deal in those other countries. Not because they are lacking "actual news," but because they care about it more than average Joe American, who's already forgotten the name of that one snowboarder and has moved onto discussing which contest would be harder to win, American Idol or Survivor.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

griffey is not a bad cf....did he make any costly errors??? NO

ahahahhahhahahahahaa

You realize that other teams competing with and even beating the USA is probably a good thing because we will get to see all of the other truly good players who are out there, right? These are guys that wouldn't have had a chance to showcase their talents before.

Also, Griffey is a poor defensive CF'er at this stage in his career. Sorry to break it to you.

Edited by SSH2005

I never said anyone was celebrating the US loss. You're looking at this way to America-centricly. (Yeah, I think I made up a word there.)

I said 4 countries were going crazy for the WBC right now. They have been for over a week now. You can't deny that. You tried, and failed. Take a step back, find the shift key, and think about what this tournament means to average Jose Cubano & Juan Dominican.

This is about growing the game. This is a much bigger deal in those other countries. Not because they are lacking "actual news," but because they care about it more than  average Joe American, who's already forgotten the name of that one snowboarder and has moved onto discussing which contest would be harder to win, American Idol or Survivor.

The US was just as crazy....maybe their NEWS channels werent goin crazy but when i turned on cold pizza in the morning .....there it was on 1st and ten (thats the most important topics) the us in the wbc...and on around the horn and PTI....its not their choice in other countries all the time in what they root for and what they pay attention to....you dont see Canada goin buckwild after they beat the US. You know why?...because theyre a free society, and the koreans and all them spanish teams dont always have a choice in what they root for or get to see onthe news cuz theyre brainwashed by fidel or kim jong.....

oh and the ratings are very strong through the first 2 rounds......id like to see those compared with the next two rounds without the US....

Edited by WhiteSox311