Teen critical after Edens crash

Phuck the Cubs

A Winnetka teenager was critically injured when her SUV rear-ended a semi-trailer truck and then flipped over on the Edens Expressway, state police said.

The accident occurred around 9:45 p.m. Monday in the northbound lanes of the expressway (Interstate 94) near Golf Road in Skokie, Illinois State Police Sgt. Mike Musiol said.

The 18-year-old woman was driving a Jeep Liberty when she swerved to avoid a vehicle that cut her off and struck the rear of the semi-trailer truck, police said. The Liberty then hit a concrete barrier and flipped over.

Emergency crews rushed the driver to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston where she was listed in critical condition this morning, Musiol said. Police declined to release her identity.

Another 18-year-old woman was a front-seat passenger in the Liberty, but suffered only minor injuries. The driver of the semi was not injured.

Musiol said two witnesses reported seeing the vehicle cut off the Liberty but could not provide a detailed description.

There was no indication that drugs or alcohol played a role in the crash.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/...ll=chi-news-hed

One winter, my dad went to pick my sister up from the airport for break from college and it was kind of snowing and one of those white cabs, not sure of company, cut em off on the way home, bumped the front of my dad's car and sent them spinning out of control. Luckily, my dad's car stopped on the shoulder, didn't strike anything, and pointing the right way of traffic. The f***er driving the cab pulled over a half a mile ahead, checked the back of his car, saw my dad looking at him, then jumped in his cab and took off. Never found him.

The story above is a damn shame. Idiots take the highway for granted, thinking they can go 100 mph with no consequences and it is the innocent ones who get hurt.

Both girls went to my high school, both were the same age as me, etc.

Ari, the girl in critical condition, was taken off of life support at 5 pm this afternoon. I wasn't friendly with the other girl, but i've been going to school with Ari for years, and was pretty darn friendly with her.

I can't even fathom this happening. I saw her and talked to her yesterday and 24 hours later she's gone, forever.

She had earlier finished her first softball game of the year, and as the star of the team, led them to a win. She had a full ride for softball to Vanderbilt University.

Absolutely tragic. My prayers are with her family.

Excellent story, Brian. Again, I can't even fathom this. Just so sad, unbelievable.

High school softball player dies in accident

An 18-year-old New Trier softball player died Tuesday night of injuries she suffered when her SUV flipped over on the Edens Expressway while she was on her way home from celebrating a winning season opener.

Arianne Chester was pronounced dead just after 9 p.m. Tuesday at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, according to a spokesman with the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Chester was driving a Jeep Liberty about 9:45 p.m. Monday when a car cut her off on the Edens (Interstate 94), near Golf Road in Skokie, state police said. When she swerved to avoid the car, her Jeep struck the rear of a semi-trailer truck, hit a concrete barrier and flipped over.

Another 18-year-old woman was a front-seat passenger in the Liberty, but she suffered minor injuries, state police Sgt. Mike Musiol said. The driver of the semi was not injured.

Chester was a starting centerfielder and co-captain of the girls softball team at New Trier Township High School in Winnetka, friends said. The team on Monday beat Von Steuben 15-0 in the season opener, said softball coach John Cadwell.

Cadwell said the crash occurred later that night, while Chester and a teammate were returning from a McDonald's restaurant in Skokie as a group of friends followed in a second vehicle.

Chester sustained a severed spinal cord and severe head trauma in the accident, and had been on life-support before being pronounced dead, Cadwell said.

Cadwell described Chester as a bright, giving young lady who was planning to attend Vanderbilt University, where she hoped to study to become a doctor. She was involved in New Trier's Peer Helping program and volunteered long hours last summer working at the school's summer softball camp, Cadwell said.

"It's inconceivable that something this tragic has happened," Cadwell said. "She was so young and had so much to offer the world. It's an awful loss."

New Trier co-captain and senior third baseman Elise Menaker described Chester as a popular and giving student.

"Ari always put others ahead of herself," said Menaker, 18. She said a "steady stream of kids" visited Chester at her hospital bed all day Tuesday.

"We could fit maybe 40 or 50 in the room and the rest of the kids sat in the hallway waiting their turn," Menaker said. "When I left, there were still about 100 students waiting to see her."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...ack=1&cset=true

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/...ack=1&cset=true

An 18-year-old New Trier softball player died Tuesday night of injuries she suffered when her SUV flipped over on the Edens Expressway while she was on her way home from celebrating a winning season opener.

Arianne Chester was pronounced dead just after 9 p.m. Tuesday at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, according to a spokesman with the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Chester was driving a Jeep Liberty about 9:45 p.m. Monday when a car cut her off on the Edens (Interstate 94), near Golf Road in Skokie, state police said. When she swerved to avoid the car, her Jeep struck the rear of a semi-trailer truck, hit a concrete barrier and flipped over.

Another 18-year-old woman was a front-seat passenger in the Liberty, but she suffered minor injuries, state police Sgt. Mike Musiol said. The driver of the semi was not injured.

Chester was a starting centerfielder and co-captain of the girls softball team at New Trier Township High School in Winnetka, friends said. The team on Monday beat Von Steuben 15-0 in the season opener, said softball coach John Cadwell.

Cadwell said the crash occurred later that night, while Chester and a teammate were returning from a McDonald's restaurant in Skokie as a group of friends followed in a second vehicle.

Chester sustained a severed spinal cord and severe head trauma in the accident, and had been on life-support before being pronounced dead, Cadwell said.

Cadwell described Chester as a bright, giving young lady who was planning to attend Vanderbilt University, where she hoped to study to become a doctor. She was involved in New Trier's Peer Helping program and volunteered long hours last summer working at the school's summer softball camp, Cadwell said.

"It's inconceivable that something this tragic has happened," Cadwell said. "She was so young and had so much to offer the world. It's an awful loss."

New Trier co-captain and senior third baseman Elise Menaker described Chester as a popular and giving student.

"Ari always put others ahead of herself," said Menaker, 18. She said a "steady stream of kids" visited Chester at her hospital bed all day Tuesday.

"We could fit maybe 40 or 50 in the room and the rest of the kids sat in the hallway waiting their turn," Menaker said. "When I left, there were still about 100 students waiting to see her."

Rest In Peace, Ari.

I know exactly how you--among other acquaitances--of this girl feel.

When I was in fifth grade a fellow student died of a brain aneurysism.

Eighth grade a close friend was pulled off life support after breaking spinal column in ATV accident

Junior year of high school another close friend died from injuries suffered from a head on vehicle collision.

These experiences effectively reshape you as an individual. No longer do you believe you're invincible--unable to sustain injury or death. When these terrible experiences are close to you it's no longer just 'another person.'

I never cried in public--even at relatives funerals--until I attended that of my close friend killed in the ATV accident. If any of you attend the girls wake/funeral, the most difficult part will be consoling her parents. I couldn't have imagined before I experienced it personally how hard it is to say "I'm sorry for you're loss," whereas you can't possibly fathom their greif. This girl was bound for success; her life so fulfilling. Parents aren't supposed to bury their children. Neither are friends supposed to reflect on the lives of departed friends at such an age.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

My heart goes out to the family and to the posters that knew her. It's gonna take a while to get off your minds. Tizz, your post really touched me and had me thinking about the people (friends, family, etc.) I've watched pass away eigher from an accident, a shooting, or a suicide more than anyone would know on this site. Hell, just three weeks ago, a close friend of mine's cousin was shot one block away from me on 106th and Ewing on the Eastside right by Banners liquor store. It was gang related and I did meet him before. Good person.

I had a friend pass away my senior year (2 years ago) in a car accident, it's almost impossible to deal with since your only 17 or 18 years old and feel invisible, as Flash mentioned. Also as Flash mentioned, it's just so sad seeing the family and very close friends of what is really just a kid who died far too young. The young lady in this case sounds like she had her life in order, hopefully she's in a better place now. RIP.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
Both girls went to my high school, both were the same age as me, etc.

Ari, the girl in critical condition, was taken off of life support at 5 pm this afternoon.  I wasn't friendly with the other girl, but i've been going to school with Ari for years, and was pretty darn friendly with her.

I can't even fathom this happening.  I saw her and talked to her yesterday and 24 hours later she's gone, forever.

She had earlier finished her first softball game of the year, and as the star of the team, led them to a win.  She had a full ride for softball to Vanderbilt University.

Absolutely tragic.  My prayers are with her family.

Excellent story, Brian.  Again, I can't even fathom this.  Just so sad, unbelievable.

Sorry to hear that man. My thoughts are with all involved.

What a shame. Prayers are definitely with friends and family of this girl.

Brian.. almost the same thing happened to me downtown outside Gibsons. Effer cut me off, hit my passenger front qp, then drove off. Asshole cab drivers.

Wow, there can't be much of anything sadder than something like this. 

Definate :pray for the families and everyone involved.  Hopefully they find this SOB and put him on trial for everything under the sun, and he never sees the light of day again.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the worst part. The guy who caused this accident is going to get off scott-free :angry: :angry:

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
so there are three kids from my high school that frequent soxtalk? strange.

There does seem to be a plethora of Trevians posting on this board. That includes me (though I think I graduated a wee bit before the rest of you).

Strange, for a north suburban school, this being a Sox site.

This is so horrible. I hope they catch the guy in the red car and throw the book at him - SUVs are not easy to control much less by a teenager so I really hope they throw the book at this guy for cutting someone off especially someone (regardless of age) in an SUV.

I am actually quite curious as to what would happen to this guy if he turned himself or if he was caught. He can't be charged with either first or second degree manslaughter and I really can't imagine him getting anything more than losing his privilege to drive for a while.

Either way, it doesn't bring back this girl who everyone cherished so greatly.

What a depressing day it is at school, where i'm posting from. Everybody crying, not as much talking, I still can't believe it.