AL Central Central

greasywheels121

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think that Zumaya has been much more valuable to the Tigers as a set up man than the best case scenario had he been the closer from day one.

He pitches in a LOT of extremely tight situations...today's game case in point. And he does so way more than the closer Todd "tee-ball" Jones.

I don't think any Tiger fan wouldn't say that Zumaya will be their future closer. I think he'll be a closer first than a starter IMHO. Zumaya, Jenks, Street, (I'll even add Papelbon even though I'm not sold on him) and other young studs will be some names we'll be hearing for a long time as great closers in the AL.

Is Zumaya injured..?! :o (It says injury delay on Gameday since that's where I'm looking at this game from)

Edited by SoxAce

Apparently not, they were saying it might have been something about his side. I take that back someone posted on a Tigers board that apparently it was a twisted ankle. Either way he seemed ok, as he was able to finish the game out.

Edited by tigerfan

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
I don't think any Tiger fan wouldn't say that Zumaya will be their future closer. I think he'll be a closer first than a starter IMHO. Zumaya, Jenks, Street, (I'll even add Papelbon even though I'm not sold on him) and other young studs will be some names we'll be hearing for a long time as great closers in the AL.

Is Zumaya injured..?! :o

You have insane standards, 0.30 ERA, 31K:4BB, 0.63 WHIP, 1.44 BAA, 20SV/21OP, 30.1 IP and you're not sold? You crazy. I mean Jenks only pitched 39.1 innings last year, Papelbon is close to that already.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
You have insane standards, 0.30 ERA, 31K:4BB, 0.63 WHIP, 1.44 BAA, 20SV/21OP, 30.1 IP and you're not sold? You crazy. I mean Jenks only pitched 39.1 innings last year, Papelbon is close to that already.

He is good, but just like Jenks (probably should had said that about him too) I want to see them do this for a whole season. You got to be crazy if you believe he'll keep this up. He's pitched way out of his mind right now. And especially considering this is his first year even closing whereas Jenks already has experience last year, (and in the playoffs) thus has more video footage on him. Papelbon has quite a few of his saves against weak teams as well (4 of his 20 are against the D-Rays, 20%.)

I remember seeing Papelbon pitch some innings against us last October....and I had a feeling he might end up being a damn good closer for them. Obviously he won't continue to dominate like he is right now, but he's no joke and will be a very good closer for years to come, unless of course Boston moves him into the rotation, which is possible as well.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
He is good, but just like Jenks (probably should had said that about him too) I want to see them do this for a whole season. You got to be crazy if you believe he'll keep this up. He's pitched way out of his mind right now. And especially considering this is his first year even closing whereas Jenks already has experience last year, (and in the playoffs) thus has more video footage on him. Papelbon has quite a few of his saves against weak teams as well (4 of his 20 are against the D-Rays, 20%.)

Papelbon has 64.1 IP in his career whereas Jenks is has 67 so I'd say the amount of tape is about equal, Papelbon has succeeded on every level he has pitched at and has yet to show a bit of suckitude in the majors. I doubt he'll end the year with an ERA/WHIP under 1 but there's no reason for me to believe that he'll suddenly fall off even if he is pitching out of his mind right now.

Papelbon has 5 saves (in 5.2 IP) against the D-Rays this year just for the record but at the same time he's pitched 7 innings against probably the best lineup in the AL right now, the Toronto Blue Jays he's allowed 1 run, 8 hits, 4K:0BB and has 4 saves against them, that's pretty damn impressive. He's also pitched 5.1 innings against his teams major rival, the Yanks, and has walked 2 while striking out 5 and not allowing a single hit or run.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
Papelbon has 64.1 IP in his career whereas Jenks is has 67 so I'd say the amount of tape is about equal,

Jenks has pitched more games as a closer, that's what I'm trying to tell you. Plus, he was exposed alot in the playoffs where almost every player/coach watches.

Papelbon has succeeded on every level he has pitched at and has yet to show a bit of suckitude in the majors.

You and I both know that does not mean s***.

I doubt he'll end the year with an ERA/WHIP under 1 but there's no reason for me to believe that he'll suddenly fall off even if he is pitching out of his mind right now.

That's baseball kid. During the second half of this season where teams see him again, anything can happen.

Papelbon has 5 saves (in 5.2 IP) against the D-Rays this year just for the record

Thank you for proving my point.

but at the same time he's pitched 7 innings against probably the best lineup in the AL right now, the Toronto Blue Jays he's allowed 1 run, 8 hits, 4K:0BB and has 4 saves against them, that's pretty damn impressive.

They are a good lineup, I'll give you this statement.

He's also pitched 5.1 innings against his teams major rival, the Yanks, and has walked 2 while striking out 5 and not allowing a single hit or run.

0 saves against them though, which is also proving my point whereas the mighty Rivera has like 3 saves against them and hasn't pitched "stellar" against them especially in a non save situation like Papelbon has.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)

Zumaya threw a couple of innings today to get his first save, but at the end of the game, with like 2 outs in the ninth, he threw a pitch too low, called Pudge out to the mound with some pain in his side. He finished the game, but that's got to be your real concern with a guy like Zumaya...overworking a guy that young could destroy his arm.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
Zumaya threw a couple of innings today to get his first save, but at the end of the game, with like 2 outs in the ninth, he threw a pitch too low, called Pudge out to the mound with some pain in his side. He finished the game, but that's got to be your real concern with a guy like Zumaya...overworking a guy that young could destroy his arm.

I don't see how Leyland could overwork him. He pitched 151 innings in the minors last year (not easy innings with the walks and strikeouts either). He won't come close to that this year as a reliever. I hope Leyland uses him as a multi-inning reliever to get the team out of jams. He's wasted just going one inning IMO. I think having him go 3 innings today was the right move because we didn't blow anymore of the bullpen for tomorrow's game.

Anyway, good to take 2 of 3 from the Blue Jays in their home park but I'm dissapointed that the bullpen had to totally collapse in the first game because it could have easily been a sweep.

Edited by Wolverine31

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)

Zumaya caught a spike in the ground on that play and tweaked his ankle but it wasn't anything serious which explains why he continued pitching the inning.

Last year I used to post that when I look at the tigers lineup I find it hard to believe that they don't have a much better record. On paper, they were terrific.

I'm doing the same thing this year with the Indians. Last season's second half charge aside, I think they could use a managerial change. Something's not clicking like it should under Wedge.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
Question:

last night Morgan mentioned that Ozzie got rid of a veteran bullpen pitcher in '04 when he would let Ozzie know when he was and wasn't available to pitch. Anyone know who he's referring to? Mike Jackson?

shoenweis?

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
Question:

last night Morgan mentioned that Ozzie got rid of a veteran bullpen pitcher in '04 when he would let Ozzie know when he was and wasn't available to pitch. Anyone know who he's referring to? Mike Jackson?

It was Thriller. He made a comment about the pitcher coming up on a personal record. He was gone shortly after he broke some personal record.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
Last year I used to post that when I look at the tigers lineup I find it hard to believe that they don't have a much better record. On paper, they were terrific.

I'm doing the same thing this year with the Indians. Last season's second half charge aside, I think they could use a managerial change. Something's not clicking like it should under Wedge.

Just look at the rotation and bullpen and there record should start making sense. Oh and the fact that they are freaking horrible defensively.