Springer nails Bonds, Fans appluad

Phuck the Cubs

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
And if he would've charged the mound, he would have been called out by fans and media alike as a punk for going after a guy five inches & thirty pounds lighter then.

Funny how this double standard works with Bonds -- if he charges, he's a big meany, but since he doesn't charge, he's a puss who deserved it.

I don't recall LCR saying anything like that. All I recall him saying was "he was 60 feet away". Dont put words in the guys mouth.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
I would feel terrible for almost any player beaned in the head whose career was ruined by it. I would not lose my marbles, however, because the pitcher aimed at the guy's skull.

Duck for cover if you're the batter.

And, if AJ was beaned and had his career ruined, I'd feel terrible because I love AJ, but I wouldn't throw a fit over it and lost all control about how UNFAIR it was for the pitcher to bean him.

Beanball. Hello? Shot to the head. Pitchers pitching AT batters is nothing new, and neither is the practice of aiming at their heads. That's why there's the term "headhunter."

Just becuase it's not new doesn't mean it's right...

Throwing at someone is part of the game, trying to hit them in the head is not.

You are just acting like you would be calm if a player like you liked got hit in the head. Just trying to support your argument. I know as well as you do that you would be freaking out.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
I don't give a s*** how nice, or not nice in his case, he is. I dont want a f***ing cheater like him breaking any records. The fact that he's a racist, arrogant asshole does make it even easier, if that was possible, to hate him.

You have no idea who is and is not on steroids, HGH, any other drug or cheating in other ways, seriously for all you know Mark Buehrle, Jim Thome and Albert Pujols are all on some sort of performance enhancing substance.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
And if he would've charged the mound, he would have been called out by fans and media alike as a punk for going after a guy five inches & thirty pounds lighter than him.

Funny how this double standard works with Bonds -- if he charges, he's a big meany, but since he doesn't charge, he's a puss who deserved it.

Bonds actually confronting the guy would be the first gutsy thing he's done in a long while. I'd actually commend him for that but the news media that makes issues out of non-issues (such as this douchebag on douchebag plunking) would try to lambast him.

I merely said that if Bonds didn't like it and he was so outraged and feeling that it was so unfair, he's just 60 feet away.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
You have no idea who is and is not on steroids, HGH, any other drug or cheating in other ways, seriously for all you know Mark Buehrle, Jim Thome and Albert Pujols are all on some sort of performance enhancing substance.

Oh stop it already. This s***bag is as guilty as hell and you know it.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 18, 2006 -> 04:32 AM)
I don't recall LCR saying anything like that. All I recall him saying was "he was 60 feet away". Dont put words in the guys mouth.

LCR goes on to talk about this being about "pitching inside". I'm sorry, there's a difference between pitching inside -- establishing the inner half of the plate as yours -- and intentionally trying to hit the guy.

But, you are correct, he didn't say what I typed. It was more a general comment towards people here in general, and LCR was the one who received the 'quote'.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
Oh stop it already. This s***bag is as guilty as hell and you know it.

It has nothing to do with him being guilty, I know he was on the cream and the clear and probably HGH too and probably still is. I'm just saying that you have no idea who else is guilty of this sort of thing. You have no clue who is on what.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
Bonds actually confronting the guy would be the first gutsy thing he's done in a long while. I'd actually commend him for that but the news media that makes issues out of non-issues (such as this douchebag on douchebag plunking) would try to lambast him.

I merely said that if Bonds didn't like it and he was so outraged and feeling that it was so unfair, he's just 60 feet away.

Ya, Springer is the tough guy for throwing a baseball at a guy with his whole team there to back him up.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
LCR goes on to talk about this being about "pitching inside". I'm sorry, there's a difference between pitching inside -- establishing the inner half of the plate as yours -- and intentionally trying to hit the guy.

But, you are correct, he didn't say what I typed. It was more a general comment towards people here in general, and LCR was the one who received the 'quote'.

Fair enough.

Back to Springer though. I would have REALLY applauded if he had come out and said "Yeah I was throwing at Bonds". It's pretty obvious that he was.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
It has nothing to do with him being guilty, I know he was on the cream and the clear and probably HGH too and probably still is. I'm just saying that you have no idea who else is guilty of this sort of thing. You have no clue who is on what.

You're right. I don't. All I know is that a record is on the verge of falling and the guy about to break it is a cheating, racist, arrogant, cock-sucker. Thats why I'm pissed off about it.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 18, 2006 -> 04:35 AM)

I think Bonds handled the situation as well as he could have, especially considering he wasn't just thrown at once, but five times in a row (blatantly). Really, he would've made more of a problem by pointing the bat, charging, etc etc -- he didn't do so.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)

Intentional beaning has been around for years. It is part of the game as much as hard slides, take out slides, suicide squeezes and running over the catcher on a close play at home. Intentional beaning is a means that has been quite successful in dealing with issues in-house -- between the players themselves. It was a plunking -- Bonds got the message and it was heard loud and clear, cheat and face the consequences on the field.

Mesa beans some f***stick and nobody says s***. But now because it is Bonds being intentionally hit -- it is somehow a 'disgrace to baseball' and Life As We Know It will cease to exist because St. Barry took a ball in between the shoulder blades, took off his gear and walked to 1st base. If intentionally hitting players is so very bad, then how come all the whiners now didn't say Word One when there had been previous HBP this season when it has been intentional?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
Ya, Springer is the tough guy for throwing a baseball at a guy with his whole team there to back him up.

I guess the Giants weren't in the dugout a few feet away.

Just becuase it's not new doesn't mean it's right...

Throwing at someone is part of the game, trying to hit them in the head is not.

You are just acting like you would be calm if a player like you liked got hit in the head. Just trying to support your argument. I know as well as you do that you would be freaking out.

I would not "freak out." I'd worry for the player, but I wouldn't lose it or be THAT terribly pissed at the opposing pitcher.

I would like to backpedal a smidge: I don't typically CALL for shots to the head because I think they're excessive and most people DON'T deserve that, in my view. I probably wouldn't do it pitching, and I HAVE pitched in high school ball. But I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, either, and I don't think it's indefensible.

Springer threw at Bonds' knee first, for what it's worth -- at least after the back.

Overall, I just think beanballs are a part of the game that shouldn't be taken out.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 18, 2006 -> 04:43 AM)
Intentional beaning has been around for years. It is part of the game as much as hard slides, take out slides, suicide squeezes and running over the catcher on a close play at home. Intentional beaning is a means that has been quite successful in dealing with issues in-house -- between the players themselves. It was a plunking -- Bonds got the message and it was heard loud and clear, cheat and face the consequences on the field.

This is where my problem lies. Bonds takes the fall for a rather large (supposedly) group of guys that also 'cheated'. I'm not saying that what Bonds might have done is right -- I want you to understand that. But he's not the only one.

Would Russ Springer throw at Mike Morse if he had the chance? Afterall, he's a cheater too, and one that actually got caught... I think there's more of an agenda here than just Bonds being a (supposed) cheater.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
I would feel terrible for almost any player beaned in the head whose career was ruined by it. I would not lose my marbles, however, because the pitcher aimed at the guy's skull.

Duck for cover if you're the batter.

And, if AJ was beaned and had his career ruined, I'd feel terrible because I love AJ, but I wouldn't throw a fit over it and lost all control about how UNFAIR it was for the pitcher to bean him.

Beanball. Hello? Shot to the head. Pitchers pitching AT batters is nothing new, and neither is the practice of aiming at their heads. That's why there's the term "headhunter."

A beanball war when it is meant to send a message is indeed part of baseball. I can deal with that. If one of your guys appears to have been beaned on purpose, a retaliation to protect your players is sometimes necessary.

But there is a big difference between sending somebody a message by pegging a batter in the back, or flat out aiming for a guys head with the intent of severely injuring him. And IMO, Springer crossed that line. Headhunting is NOT a part of baseball, and if Springer was indeed just sending a message, he would have stopped after he threw the ball behind Bonds on the first pitch...point proven, now try to get him out. Instead, he came up and in several more times and appeared to be aiming for the cranium.

A beanball war has its place. Its part of the heat of competition. And while headhunting occurs from time to time, that doesn't mean that it should be, or currently is accepted as "part of baseball." Its dirty and its just a dick thing to do. If Springer was indeed aiming for Bonds's melon, then I have just about the same respect for him as I do for Bonds.

Mesa beans some f***stick and nobody says s***. But now because it is Bonds being intentionally hit -- it is somehow a 'disgrace to baseball' and Life As We Know It will cease to exist because St. Barry took a ball in between the shoulder blades, took off his gear and walked to 1st base. If intentionally hitting players is so very bad, then how come all the whiners now didn't say Word One when there had been previous HBP this season when it has been intentional?

BTW -- I'm not doing any crying or any midnight vigils for Bonds. I just shake my head when I see something like, "Gosh, I wish it would've hit him in the eye and blinded him!", stuff of that sort.

It is what it is. It was a beaning from a guy with an agenda. It wasn't "establishing the inner half" -- you don't do that in a 10 run game (or whatever the score was -- it wasn't close, as I recall).

I guess the one thing that bothers me in the end is that people want a guy to be severly injured and/or dead because he took some drugs to better his performance at his job (though this may be considered immoral and now illegal) and is a surly person. If you wanted to you could stop watching/caring about baseball tomorrow and noone would really give a s***, the game does not affect you directly, it is a game played for entertainment purposes. Yet in the end people still want some guy that they don't know, who is working at a job that does not directly affect them to be severly injured because you "cheated". That is what does not make sense to me.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
This is where my problem lies. Bonds takes the fall for a rather large (supposedly) group of guys that also 'cheated'. I'm not saying that what Bonds might have done is right -- I want you to understand that. But he's not the only one.

Would Russ Springer throw at Mike Morse if he had the chance? Afterall, he's a cheater too, and one that actually got caught... I think there's more of an agenda here than just Bonds being a (supposed) cheater.

The big difference is that Bonds is about to rewrite the history books. What important milestone is Mike Morse on the verge of passing?

Also. What is this "agenda" you claim the Bonds haters have?

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:43 PM)

First of all, I'm not seeing a whole lot of Barry love in this thread. Those who are calling out Springer have been pretty adement that they hate every inch of Barry Bonds. That doesn't make it right.

And I cant speak for anybody else, but I would have had no problem if he was just pegging him to get a message across. But it appeared to me like he was trying to peg him in the head, and that just aint cool. I don't care how big of a dick Bonds is. Whatever he did to Springer that pissed him off so much couldn't have been bad enough to warrant a career threatening shot to the head.

Once again, I have no love lost for Bonds. But there has to be a better way to get the point across. I thought the first pitch did that just fine.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 18, 2006 -> 05:00 AM)
The big difference is that Bonds is about to rewrite the history books. What important milestone is Mike Morse on the verge of passing?

Morse still cheated, though. Did the same thing that Bonds (supposedly) did.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 18, 2006 -> 05:00 AM)
Also. What is this "agenda" you claim the Bonds haters have?

I was talking about Springer. IIRC, this wasn't the first time he hit Bonds. I personally think that Springer just doesn't like the guy.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 18, 2006 -> 12:06 AM)
Morse still cheated, though. Did the same thing that Bonds (supposedly) did.

I was talking about Springer. IIRC, this wasn't the first time he hit Bonds. I personally think that Springer just doesn't like the guy.

Oh ok. I misunderstood.

Personally I dont care whether Springer had a chip on his shoulder or not. He pegged Bonds and that puts him in my cool book.

A message in the form of a heater to the ribs, is one thing. But aiming at someone's head is not defensible. You can kill somebody that way, whether that was your intent or not. I still remember Tony Conigliaro very well and cannot imagine wanting to throw at someone's head after seeing that.

I think baseball needs to be more like hockey. Let's have hockey style fights in baseball. Imagine the strategy of having only 7 defenders. Even better, imagine Anderson committing a penalty just to keep from batting the next inning. Hockey can't exist without fighting, baseball can't exist without hurling a baseball at 85 mph at someones head or body.

Then again basketball cleaned itself up after Kermit Washington almost killed (literally) Rudy Tomjanovich in an on court fight.