Hello Mr. Anderson

BigSqwert

Sending BA down is not only good for the team, but also good for HIM. The kid is embarassing himself out there right now and you never want to see that happen. I know he comes across as fun and confident, but he's still a kid and if left out there too long to rot, he might never come out of it. As someone else said, we might survive a week or two without him. If our pitching solidifies and our O clicks with RISP, we should be ok.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
The Sox aren't going to bring Sweeney up to play CF. Jerry Owens is hitting .220. He's not coming. Last I checked, the Sox don't have locks on the entire contents of their stalls in the clubhouse, so Rivera isn't coming, and they aren't going to bring a guy from AA who will be just as bad as Anderson offensively, while giving you less defense. Like someone said before, its either Mack, Ozuna, or Pods in CF or a trade, and I don't think anyone's looking to do KW any favors.

I think some GMs are eagerly anticipating a call from KW. They know he's not afraid to give up talent in order to acquire talent.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
The Sox aren't going to bring Sweeney up to play CF. Jerry Owens is hitting .220. He's not coming. Last I checked, the Sox don't have locks on the entire contents of their stalls in the clubhouse, so Rivera isn't coming, and they aren't going to bring a guy from AA who will be just as bad as Anderson offensively, while giving you less defense. Like someone said before, its either Mack, Ozuna, or Pods in CF or a trade, and I don't think anyone's looking to do KW any favors.

What is your reason for not bringing up Sweeney? At this point in his career, it seems likely he'd come up in the fall on the 40-man callup anyway. So the clock may not be too big an issue (maybe by a year, if you think he isn't up until 2007). If the guy can play reasonably good D in CF (at least on par with Mack, hopefully a bit better), then I think its a good idea.

Southtown writer Nathaniel Whalen wrote about BA in a blog entry the other day:

http://blogs.dailysouthtown.com/whalen/

If the Sox ditch BA, they confront the unpleasant question of his replacement, for which there is NO good answer at this time.

If BA is in a funk mentally over this, which seems likely, going to AAA is not going to help him gain any conviction that he can hit major-league pitching. So that might not be the right move here either.

I say leave the guy alone, let him play out the season, and if he ends with a batting average below .200, then there is serious question about his MLB abilities. But I'd rather see that addressed after the season, not now.

I really hated to see him strike out 3 times last night, though, and he does look just LOST up there... :(

Edited to add: hey, maybe they can teach him to bunt! I'm only sort of kidding.

Edited by henry wiggins

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
I think some GMs are eagerly anticipating a call from KW. They know he's not afraid to give up talent in order to acquire talent.

The good news is that we do have several pitchers who are performing quite well. Yeah he struggled with us (in a whopping 1 start), but the way he's pitched in AAA, Haeger should probably be on someone's big league squad right now.

QUOTE(henry wiggins @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
If BA is in a funk mentally over this, which seems likely, going to AAA is not going to help him gain any conviction that he can hit major-league pitching. So that might not be the right move here either.

Yeah, but it also might remind him that he actually can hit a baseball every so often.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
Sending BA down is not only good for the team, but also good for HIM. The kid is embarassing himself out there right now and you never want to see that happen. I know he comes across as fun and confident, but he's still a kid and if left out there too long to rot, he might never come out of it. As someone else said, we might survive a week or two without him. If our pitching solidifies and our O clicks with RISP, we should be ok.

He doesn't look like he is having fun at all, lately. Looks like he is lost, and unhappy. Who knows the reality, of course, but he looks to me like a man beaten.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
Yeah, but it also might remind him that he actually can hit a baseball every so often.

The best thing that could happen for Anderson is to be sent back to the minors. He's not going to get enough at-bats at the MLB level to get in a rhythm. He's absolutely clueless at the plate, and facing mediocre pitching in the minors might help him get his confidence back up.

I'm going to make the prediction that on Wednesday, Pods and Ozuna will be in LF/CF.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)

Thats exactly what I was trying to point out when I posted those split stats. The Sox has no one in house who can replace Anderson defensively. Offensively any of these players may provide slightly more production, but its not enough to warrant bringing up another prospect or even a has-been prospect like Ruben Rivera.

All season I've been a huge BA supporter but it is almost painful watching him at the plate right now. I dont know if you can stick with him all season simply because I hate to see a proud kid like Brian struggle and can only imagine what this is doing to him mentally day in and day out. It is affecting our offensive production, just like Uribe is, but when Brian isn't in the outfield our defense goes from average or slightly above to just plain bad.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
The best thing that could happen for Anderson is to be sent back to the minors. He's not going to get enough at-bats at the MLB level to get in a rhythm. He's absolutely clueless at the plate, and facing mediocre pitching in the minors might help him get his confidence back up.

I'm going to make the prediction that on Wednesday, Pods and Ozuna will be in LF/CF.

Ozuna in CF?! Over Mack? No. Mack isn't too good out there, but he is a world better than Ozuna defensively. I would think more likely Mack starts in CF, or maybe even Pods, and Ozuna becomes the backup-OF like Mack was.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
What is your reason for not bringing up Sweeney? At this point in his career, it seems likely he'd come up in the fall on the 40-man callup anyway. So the clock may not be too big an issue (maybe by a year, if you think he isn't up until 2007). If the guy can play reasonably good D in CF (at least on par with Mack, hopefully a bit better), then I think its a good idea.

Well, Sweeney is primarily a RF and has just this year begun to play some CF, after a few weeks out there he tweaked his hammy landing him on the DL for a good amount of time. He was just recently reactivated and as noted before he's now playing more in RF and hardly at all in CF. It sounds pretty telling to me but I guess it could be looked at a few different ways.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)

First off, he's left-handed. I think the Sox will face at least 7 more lefties the next 2 weeks. Plus, the Sox are probably a little too left handed now. Secondly, he just started playing CF this season, and is coming off a leg injury which has moved him back to RF. The chances of Sweeney at this point in time being any better than Mackowiak offensively or defensive, are pretty slim IMO.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Ozuna in CF?! Over Mack? No. Mack isn't too good out there, but he is a world better than Ozuna defensively. I would think more likely Mack starts in CF, or maybe even Pods, and Ozuna becomes the backup-OF like Mack was.

I think we'll try Pods in CF, and Ozuna in LF.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)

And that will once and for all show all that Podsednik is absolutely brutal in CF, hopefully ending any Pods/CF love that may still be out there.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
Well, Sweeney is primarily a RF and has just this year begun to play some CF, after a few weeks out there he tweaked his hammy landing him on the DL for a good amount of time. He was just recently reactivated and as noted before he's now playing more in RF and hardly at all in CF. It sounds pretty telling to me but I guess it could be looked at a few different ways.

I kind of wish I had seen him play CF a bit. If he has only played a little bit out there, he could be pretty good or really, really bad. Hard to tell without seeing him.

Has anyone here actually watched him play CF this year?

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Is this the same Pods who now is pulled for Mackowiak for defensive purposes late in games? :P

Trust me, there's no one who hates Podsednik....and Ozuna's defense more than I do. However, I sense things are getting desperate.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Book this. fathom is Batman. He predicted an odd line-up the other day that nobody thought could happen. It happened.

That lineup scored 8 runs.....and we still lost! :crying

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:08 AM)
Speaking of Pods, his average is definitely on the downswing right now.

I agree. Ozzie also thinks Mack is a better LF than Pods.

He has been pretty bad of late, hell his batting average is down 25 points since May 28th and 42 points since May 15th.