Hello Mr. Anderson

BigSqwert

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its too bad, but it is getting to the point where this isn't helping Brian at all. The most important thing is his getting ABs to further his development. In a way I wouldn't mind seeing him head to Charlotte, but at the sametime I don't want to see his confidence flushed down the toilet either, as we are going to need him this year.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
Its too bad, but it is getting to the point where this isn't helping Brian at all. The most important thing is his getting ABs to further his development. In a way I wouldn't mind seeing him head to Charlotte, but at the sametime I don't want to see his confidence flushed down the toilet either, as we are going to need him this year.

Either way we go, it's a risk to Brian's developement.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
Either way we go, it's a risk to Brian's developement.

The question is, which is the bigger risk? Right now, if he can't get any hits at all, then the bigger risk is keeping him up.

If Walker is right, and this is entirely a mental problem with him, then if he can't pick up a few hits up here, we're gonna have to send him down before he starts screwing with his mechanics and it winds up being more than just a mental problem.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
The question is, which is the bigger risk? Right now, if he can't get any hits at all, then the bigger risk is keeping him up.

If Walker is right, and this is entirely a mental problem with him, then if he can't pick up a few hits up here, we're gonna have to send him down before he starts screwing with his mechanics and it winds up being more than just a mental problem.

It appears that way from what they say at the end:

The frustrating thing is Anderson's batting-practice routine and swing mechanics are almost flawless.

"His battle is now right there between the white lines,'' hitting coach Greg Walker said. "First of all, anyone that says you shouldn't think when you're up there, that's not right. Paulie [Konerko] says it all the time: You think, but you think about the right things. Right now Brian is making bad decisions on balls he's swinging at. He's pressing.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
It appears that way from what they say at the end:

That's the thing that's been driving me nuts about the kid too, I can't find a single obvious thing he's doing wrong at the plate. With a guy like Uribe, or when Crede stops hitting, usually the mechanical mistake they're making is obvious (and it's usually flying open way too early and trying to pull an outside pitch). But with Anderson, I haven't seen him doing that, he looks like he's keeping his shoulders closed, he's taking a short stride, he's shifting his weight, he looks like he's doing everything right, except every time he hits the ball it goes straight at someone.

Maybe the kid needs glasses.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
That's the thing that's been driving me nuts about the kid too, I can't find a single obvious thing he's doing wrong at the plate. With a guy like Uribe, or when Crede stops hitting, usually the mechanical mistake they're making is obvious (and it's usually flying open way too early and trying to pull an outside pitch). But with Anderson, I haven't seen him doing that, he looks like he's keeping his shoulders closed, he's taking a short stride, he's shifting his weight, he looks like he's doing everything right, except every time he hits the ball it goes straight at someone.

Seems like he picks up the ball too late, IMO. One thing's for sure, pitchers are throwing strikes and getting ahead nearly every AB.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)

The problem is, it's going straight at the fans sitting down the right field line. Lets not kid ourselves....he's not hitting into bad luck. He rarely hits the ball with any authority, and he's been too easy of an out at this level. He desperately needs to go down to the minors and regain confidence. It's just disturbing that we have no other options right now. I don't want to see Mackowiak full-time out there, especially against lefties.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
The problem is, it's going straight at the fans sitting down the right field line. Lets not kid ourselves....he's not hitting into bad luck. He rarely hits the ball with any authority, and he's been too easy of an out at this level. He desperately needs to go down to the minors and regain confidence. It's just disturbing that we have no other options right now. I don't want to see Mackowiak full-time out there, especially against lefties.

^

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)

This seems correct, but it's not like he's been unlucky out there either. He's simply not putting the sweet spot of the bat on the ball. Everything is off the handle or off the end of the bat. That's why everything is so easily fielded.

I honestly believe that he just got afraid of striking out at tries to make contact with 2 strikes, which results in lots of weak outs. And the real troubling part is when he swings early in the count, he still doesn't put the fat part of the bat on the ball.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

these are two different statements:

1) his form looks good

2) his problem is all mental

i dont know if people here are crossing those up or what, but it's not necessarily a mental problem when you've just been called up from the minors and are seeing MLB sliders for the first time.

what you need is to see more of them. but that said, some time in the minors could be the best thing, especially since we have needs elsewhere right now.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
So has Brian been sent down yet? Rumors all over the place that it's about to happen.

The quotes I read this morning suggested it would probably happen while we're playing Cleveland, IIRC.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
The quotes I read this morning suggested it would probably happen while we're playing Cleveland, IIRC.

I noticed he's not in the lineup against a lefty. Rogers is lefty? :huh

Giving him more time to pack his bags tonight?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
these are two different statements:

1) his form looks good

2) his problem is all mental

i dont know if people here are crossing those up or what, but it's not necessarily a mental problem when you've just been called up from the minors and are seeing MLB sliders for the first time.

what you need is to see more of them. but that said, some time in the minors could be the best thing, especially since we have needs elsewhere right now.

His form, if you mean hitting form, doesn't look that good to me. He has various, changing hitches in his swing and his stride, his timing is clearly off, and his head moves around way too much.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)
He has had more ABs against RHP (62) than LHP (58). Not a huge sample size by any means, though. Honestly, i think his struggles are not mechanical as much as mental. I am not sure what facing more RHP's will do.

Give him another look at least. The whole team sucks balls agsint LHP it seems, so why wouldnt it help to give him a shot against RHP as well. He is the future, and we need to remember that.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 02:47 AM)
Man, do we ever have a problem in CF.

That makes me believe KW has to be doing something soon. I mean, it's not just a bad problem, it's horrendous.

According to the paper, Ozzie's going to use Mackowiak full-time in CF. :o

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)
I am on record that it would be a mistake to send him down. We need his D and should hope his bat comes around.

He is not a major league ball player at this point. His offensive woes are unacceptable. Hopefully he gets it figured out soon.

Anderson gets the start tomorrow.

Edited by BigSqwert